XP64 starts to load but freezes while loading...

yorkman

I'm dual booting two versions of Win'7 x64 that are on two different drives (one is hdd the other ssd). Both boot fine. I have another drive that's empty and I've created two partitions on it...a 60GB one for Xp64 that's Primary and Active, the other is just for data.

I install XP64 from the cd which I've already slipstreamed all the SATA/RAID drivers into and the installation goes well. I add two entries for each Win'7x64 version into EasyBCD and all three show up during bootup and work, except for XP. It just freezes after the bar moves across a 2nd time. This happens every time and the only way to fix it is to reinstall XP again. It's a vicious circle I'm stuck with.

Any ideas? I tried, after rebooting XP, booting into Win'7 and adding the XP entry there but the same thing happens. I also tried selecting the Install Vista/Win'7 bootloader to the MBR and writing the MBR but it makes no difference. If I try installing the XP bootloader to the MBR I get a big warning telling me that I need to be absolutely sure that I want to uninstall the Vista/Win'7 bootloader and that it'll now only boot into XP if the proper boot files are already there, which they are.

If you temporarily disconnected drives during this process, check now that the BIOS HDD boot sequence is back the way you originally had it. It will dynamically reconfigure if a higher priority HDD is missing, and stay that way even when it returns.

If you temporarily disconnected drives during this process, check now that the BIOS HDD boot sequence is back the way you originally had it. It will dynamically reconfigure if a higher priority HDD is missing, and stay that way even when it returns.

Yeah I tried that already. It still would freeze up on booting of XP.

But I finally found a solution. Even though I used the latest Intel drivers from ASUS for my mobo, I found an even newer version on Intel's website. After slipstreaming it with my XP cd along with a MS hotfix for sata drives I was able to pick the raid drive and install xp on it. It booted without issues.

I then installed EasyBCD in XP. It automatically entered a Recovered Win'7 bootup option and I rebooted to Win'7. From there, I used EasyBCD again to add the XP bootup option and saved the Vista/7 MBR. I now can boot to either OS.

Thanks for your help.

Back