Yet Another Multiboot Problem

I cannot boot Linux after adding Windows 7 to a Windows XP-SP3 and multiple versions of Linux in multiboot system using GRUB.

I have a home made computer with two IDE drives that I have partitioned for Windows and Linux:
Drive 0:
Partition 0 (hd0,0): Windows XP SP3, NTFS, Primary Partition
Partition 1 (hd0,1): Windows 7, NTFS, Primary Partition
Partition 3 (hd0,3): Extended Partition containing:
Partition 4 (hd0,4): linux swap
Partition 5 (hd0,5): Linux Ubuntu 8.10, ext3
Partition 6 (hd0,6): Linux Fedora 10, ext3
Partition 7 (hd0,7): Linux Paipix 7.10, ext3
Partition 8 (hd0,8): Linux Ubuntu 8.04, ext3
Partition 9 (hd0,9): Backup,fat32, not bootable - just data

Drive 1:
Partition 0 (hd1,0): unused,ext3, Primary Partition
Partition 2 (hd1,2): windows swap, NTFS, Primary Partition
Partition 1 (hd1,1): Extended Partition containing:
Partition 4 (hd1,4): Linux PC Linux OS 2007, ext3
Partition 5 (hd1,5): Linux Mint 4, ext3
Partition 6 (hd1,6): Linux Ubuntu Studio, ext3
Partition 7 (hd1,7): Linux OpenSUSE 11, ext3
Partition 8 (hd1,8): Linux EarOS, ext3
Partition 9 (hd1,9): Linux Posiedon 3, ext3
Partition 10 (hd1,10): Linux ulteo, ext3
Partition 11 (hd1,11): Linux PC/OS, ext3
Partition 12 (hd1,12): Linux data, ext3, not bootable - just data

All Linux operating systems have GRUB in their partition boot records now.
Installation order was Windows XP SP3, Linux OS's then Windows 7.

Prior to installing Windows 7, GRUB stage 1 for PC Linux OS 2007 was in the MBR of Drive 0. At boot the system brought up the menu.lst of PC Linux OS 2007 that was used to multiboot to Windows and all the other Linux OSs.

After the installing Windows 7, it replaced GRUB in the MBR of Drive 0 with it's bootloader.

I then installed EasyBCD in Windows 7 and GRUB stage 1 in PC Linux OS partition boot record.

I can boot to Windows XP or Window 7 but not to any Linux OS even after I set up Linux in EasyBCD and NeoGRUB.
I get "File: \NST\nst-grub.mbr" "Status: 0xc00000f" "Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt."
I get the same message for the Linux entry except for the file name is the linux.mbr.

I have reinstalled EasyBCD 1.7.1 or 1.7.2 multiple timws wth no success.
Any Ideas?

Last edited:
Hi davidlinux, welcome to NST

You need to re-install grub to the mbr if you want it back the way it was...

However, you should be able to use EasyBCD to add a new entry for Linux in Windows bootloader. Uninstall NeoGrub in the neogrub tab under add/remove entries if its installed and than add the new entry for linux on the linux tab, selecting the drive/partition for the linux partition that contains a menu.lst with all of your other distros entries, finally checking the box for grub isn't installed to mbr before adding the entry. Than reboot and try the new entry out.

Thank You for the reply, Justin.
I didn't want to reinstall GRUB into the MBR, although I have had a lot of experience doing that :smile: I was trying to use the Windows 7 boot manager to multiboot into Windows XP, Windows 7 and Linux.

I followed your instructions so now I have the new entry for Linux that should point to my PC Linux OS 2007. I also noticed that NeoGrub had been installed.
When I rebooted, I picked Linux and ended up with a Windows 7 boot manager error:
File: \NST\nst_grub.mbr
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt

I verified that the C:\Device\HarddiskVolume1 folder contained folder \NST\ and it contained file nst_grub.mbr

It appears that Windows 7 boot manager is not finding folder \NST and file nst_grub.mbr
Also, there is no program association for .mbr files. Does NeoGrub handle this kind of file?

I verified that I could boot to PC Linux OS by booting the machine with a GRUB floppy and at the GRUB prompt, typed in the menu.lst entry from the PC Linux OS partition /boot/grub. So PC Linux OS works if I can get there.

I don't recall anyone else having this kind of problem after about 4 hours of browsing this forum previous to my initiating this thread.

What do we do now?

Well, the nst folder should be on your "active" partition. The partition that contains the bootmgr and bcd files. It should be at the root of the partition instead of a few folders down in C:\Devices. The .mbr is just there to let the user know the file has something to do with the boot. Other than NeoGrub appending a .mbr to its file, then yes there is no paticular program designed to handle mbr files because it isn't any one company's format.

You mentioned NeoGrub was already installed. Try uninstalling it, not re-installing it, and re-adding the entry as described previous post.

Same Problem for Windows 7 if More than 2 operating systems

Thank You for the reply, Justin.
I didn't want to reinstall GRUB into the MBR, although I have had a lot of experience doing that :smile: I was trying to use the Windows 7 boot manager to multiboot into Windows XP, Windows 7 and Linux.

I followed your instructions so now I have the new entry for Linux that should point to my PC Linux OS 2007. I also noticed that NeoGrub had been installed.
When I rebooted, I picked Linux and ended up with a Windows 7 boot manager error:
File: \NST\nst_grub.mbr
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt

I verified that the C:\Device\HarddiskVolume1 folder contained folder \NST\ and it contained file nst_grub.mbr

It appears that Windows 7 boot manager is not finding folder \NST and file nst_grub.mbr
Also, there is no program association for .mbr files. Does NeoGrub handle this kind of file?

I verified that I could boot to PC Linux OS by booting the machine with a GRUB floppy and at the GRUB prompt, typed in the menu.lst entry from the PC Linux OS partition /boot/grub. So PC Linux OS works if I can get there.

I don't recall anyone else having this kind of problem after about 4 hours of browsing this forum previous to my initiating this thread.

What do we do now?

I have exactly the same problem. And have been trying to have a solution but is not forthcoming.

Back