Yet another Win7/XP dual boot problem.

hellacopter

Hi all computer wizards!

First I hope I don't break any forum rules with yet another thread about dual booting.

Found this place when I was searching how to fix my broken Win7 and XP dual boot.

First some history. Before I had dual boot with Vista and XP which was workrking excellent then I bought Win7. My thought was just to install Win7 on c: where I had Vista and keep XP on d: as I work with music and Cubase on XP and it's a real hassle to reinstall it from scratch. So I booted from the Win7 DVD, formatted c: and installed Win7. That went well without any hitches other than the dualboot disaperad. Booting into Win7 works well but XP ends up on a blank screen with ctrl+alt+del as only option for reboot.

I've googled soulutions and search here but as I'm not a computer wiz I haven't been able to find a solution that I understand.

My problem is that when I choose to boot Win XP I just get a blank screen. The systems are installed on physical disks, not partitions on one disk.

My bootloader looks like this:
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.
Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds.
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Entry #2

Name: Windows XP Pro
BCD ID: {ntldr}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \ntldr

My XP boot.ini looks like this:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

My disk manager looks like this:
disk.jpg

The root of my drives looks like this (first c: and then d: ):
c.jpg

d.jpg

Can someone help me with these issues so I can continue working with my music! :smile:

Get EasyBCD 2.0 latest build.
Delete the XP entry. Add an XP entry, let EasyBCD auto-configure when it offers. Don't change the drive letter it sets. (D: is wrong)
If that doesn't work, give the "system" partition a letter and repeat the above.
(Easy2 should handle the unlettered "system" partition, and does usually, but sometimes not (being worked on))

Back