"You Must Use WinRE for Unknown Windows instead" on Windows 7 x64

kevinhome

I'm not sure where to go from here. Automatic Repair comes up with "The selected partition cannot be recovered with this repair CD. You must use WinRE for Unknown Windows instead."

In the Partition Editor, it says it does not recognize the drive label.

I am able to access the drive via Browse/Backup Files. I have copied a good number of files.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

This is an HP Desktop that's 2 years old. It came with Vista, but I upgraded it with HP's free Windows 7 when it came out. The internal HP recovery does not work (likely because it was an upgrade). I've tried the Microsoft Windows Recovery disk also. Boots to a black screen.

Thanks for any help..

This appears to be a recent issue with the EasyRE discs, as the issue hasn't been asked about before but there are currently three active threads relating to "You must use WinRE for Unknown Windows instead." Neosmart devs, you might want to look into this issue and program a fix, since there is obviously no "WinRE for Unknown Windows" available for download.

We are looking into it. But if you knew all of the effort already put into trying to make a Linux based solution to work with Windows, then you know what hurtles we have already overcome to get this far. Slamming us when we are trying to offer a solution, is not the best way to go. We could easily just offer EasyBCD and tell you to purchase a disk from Microsoft at well over twice the cost. So being a little nicer on that aspect would be very much appreciated. We all work full time, have families and are doing this out of the kindness of our hearts to help others. But if that is the way we will be treated, why should we bother.

Yes this is a direct response to you, topher. It is not meant for Kevin.

Kevin, sorry to hear about your issues. You say that even the Microsoft disk gives a black screen and nothing more?

Yes, the boot for repair feature from the HD and the same thing from a Microsoft Recovery CD (made from another Win7 system) both result in a black screen with a sole mouse pointer. Nothing else.

Thanks for your efforts.

Who was slamming whom? I was helping Kevin understand that this is not just him, but a new issue several people are having. No offense intended.

Last edited:
Hi to all.
I have the same problem... all i read then i am one of many.
I hope it will be fixed soon.
Maybe is there a sideway to recover system by command line?
Anyway, thanks for all developers to work on this "last resource" to recover an operative system :smile:

I have a similar issue. Attempted to repair a Windows installation using WinRE for Windows 7 on a Toshiba that was running Windows 7 64 bit home. I am booting of a USB drive and am able to access the Windows Repair Essentials menu. Selecting automated repair gives me the following message, "The selected partition does not contain a valid windows installation. You've either selected a data drive, or the volume has been formatted and cannot be repaired. Please select a different drive to continue." Selecting the system restore option gives me the message, "The selected partition cannot be recovered with this repair CD. You must use WinRE for Unknown Windows installation." The hard drive is functioning, as its both detected (as a data drive) and I am able to browse the files in it.

There was no traumatic event that caused the computer to fail to boot. I tried to start it the other day and it froze on the windows logo and went to a black screen with just a mouse pointer, which did respond to movement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We are looking into the various reports of "No valid Windows install" being reported. We have not found a solution as of yet but are working diligently to try and find a fix and get it out ASAP. Once we do I am sure something can be done to assist you all with the issue. Thank you for your patience in this matter.

This problem has been resolved in the latest update. Anyone still experiencing this problem should send an email to support@systemdiscs.com. There is no benefit in posting here, you will not get a reply faster if you do.

This problem has been resolved in the latest update. Anyone still experiencing this problem should send an email to support@systemdiscs.com. There is no benefit in posting here, you will not get a reply faster if you do.

Hello there Mohmoud,
I haven't been on here in a long time. How have you been? :smile:

Thought about purchasing the Recovery CD for 7 and XP and had a couple of questions.
First, you said the problem is resolved in the latest update. Is that update in the latest Recovery CD or the latest EasyBCD?
Second, will the Recovery CD(or usb as I like to make them), work with any Win7 installation whether it has the SP1 installed or not?

I ask that second one because when I install Win7 and update to SP1, I cannot use the original installation disk for repair anymore.
I have to use a slipstream CD/USB I created with the SP1 added.

Thanks,
Barry

Hi Barry,

It's in the latest version of the recovery CD (not yet available with EasyBCD), and should work for all service packs, SKUs, and languages of Windows Vista or 7. Let me know if you have any questions.

(BTW, it's always wonderful to hear from members that have a "join date: 2006" in their profile :smile:)

Yeah, I have been using EasyBCD for quite a while. I wouldn't use anything else.
I even have most of the older versions. (see attached pic of my EasyBCD directory)
I have had a couple of hickups along the way with dual and triple boot but were always corrected with help from you and others.
The level of support here is second to none and I have recommended EasyBCD to anyone who would listen. I also use IBoot. Great tool.

I just picked up both the XP and Win7 recovery CD files. I look forward in trying these out when I have to work on a dead computer.
Too bad I had to make two purchases. It wouldn't let me combine both into one purchase.

Barry

Attachments

• EasyBCD_Directory.PNG
    EasyBCD_Directory.PNG
    54.8 KB · Views: 4
Back