Don't try this at home !!!

You can install all your 3rd party apps on another disk, but unless it's very old software there will always be bits in the common files folder and in the registry on your system disk, so when you reinstall, the 3rd party stuff will need reinstalling too.
I don't think Vista will accept being installed on a portable drive, but if you somehow managed it, when you boot it on new hardware, it will want to be validated again I think.

three questions then
1st:don't you use the same serail code every time you format your computer
2nd: as long as im not connected to the internet how do they know if somenone els is using the same serial code
3rd: if have vista on one computer and xp on the other can i use the following way to use vista on both

1. IDK about you but i use the same serial everytime i re-install XP/Vista on my machine.
2. You have to connect to get updates. Those updates include WGA which is the anti-piracy updates. So they would know. Plus if you want to game or get any software for that PC and connect it well sam thing.

Plus it has already been mentioned. You only get 30 days before you HAVE to activate. In Vista i have seen 3 days. So sooner or later you HAVE to connect to the net. If you dont and you call. Well then you break the EULA of the software and are acting illegally. Now way around it.

3.) No. Explained above.

Further to this discussion - A philosophical point.

A user has 2 Microsoft licenses, both legit, paid for, validated.
He has 2 PCs

Is a dual boot of both OSs on both PCs a violation of the EULA ?

Morally I would assume not, because a valid license has been acquired legitimately for each system, and no more than 2 OSs can be in use at one time, so Microsoft is not being paid any less than it deserves for the use of its intellectual property. (2 fees, 2 licenses, 2 computers)

But WUD will detect two indentical serials on 2 different systems for both OSs and invalidate one copy of each.

DISCUSS.

Candidates should answer in 500 words or fewer, and write on one side of the exam paper only.

Well on that aspect i would continue it further to say that you purchased the software so why not use it on every PC you own. I mean if you own the software why can you not use it if you buy a new PC? I mean it is still your PC right? So for me the transfer of licenses among computers is what i dont like. I mean i have at least 4 PC's roaming around. If i wish to install XP or Vista on all of them i shoudl be able to with the same serial. I own all of them.

But that is the one side. To me what gets me more about this whole arguement is that at Least Microsoft tries. They have a decent set of rules in place that allow you to transfer your license if you do buy a new PC. But the thing that urks me the most is Mac's.

"Hi. I am a Mac. And I am a PC."

Wrong!! You are both PC's. PC stands for Personal Computer to be used by a person or indivual. Only a Server doesnt qualify you as a PC. So how is it that a person using a Mac is not a PC? Apple tries to make PC users out to be so evil when they in fact are PC users themselves. But yet no die hard Mac user will acknowledge this fact. GRRRRRR!!

But that is neither here nor there. The truth is that Microsoft has a set of rules in place for hte use of their software. Many dont like it. But they are the rules.

Further to this discussion - A philosophical point.

A user has 2 Microsoft licenses, both legit, paid for, validated.
He has 2 PCs

Is a dual boot of both OSs on both PCs a violation of the EULA ?

Morally I would assume not, because a valid license has been acquired legitimately for each system, and no more than 2 OSs can be in use at one time, so Microsoft is not being paid any less than it deserves for the use of its intellectual property. (2 fees, 2 licenses, 2 computers)

But WUD will detect two indentical serials on 2 different systems for both OSs and invalidate one copy of each.

DISCUSS.

Candidates should answer in 500 words or fewer, and write on one side of the exam paper only.

In 500 words or less:

The EULA allows for unlimited dual-boots. Microsoft even takes it a step further, and says it's perfectly OK to run that single license of Vista on as many virtual machines running simultaneously as you like on the same, physical machine so long as you're not running Home Edition or Home Premium Edition :smile: (server editions also excepted which have their own VM-licensing policies)

Cheers! :grinning:

Well on that aspect i would continue it further to say that you purchased the software so why not use it on every PC you own. I mean if you own the software why can you not use it if you buy a new PC? I mean it is still your PC right? So for me the transfer of licenses among computers is what i dont like. I mean i have at least 4 PC's roaming around. If i wish to install XP or Vista on all of them i shoudl be able to with the same serial. I own all of them.

Alex, maybe its time for you to count your PC's again. :tongueout: Kidding.

"Hi. I am a Mac. And I am a PC."

Wrong!! You are both PC's. PC stands for Personal Computer to be used by a person or indivual. Only a Server doesnt qualify you as a PC. So how is it that a person using a Mac is not a PC? Apple tries to make PC users out to be so evil when they in fact are PC users themselves. But yet no die hard Mac user will acknowledge this fact. GRRRRRR!!
That is so true! :angry:

Im sorry u failed. Youre not allowed to draw on the examination paper

And who could stop me? :joy: I can only say "I didn't know, nobody said so." I did it many times :tongueout: Specially when I'm like "Damn... I'm not passing this one... anyways, lets have some fun" And then I draw a nice spaceship on the back, with an arrow pointing at one side of a paper where it says "Your Free Ride To Heaven (or Hell?), So Be Good You Little Professors And Let Me Pass Next Time :tongueout:"

Last edited:
is in't it easier to clip a hundred onto the back of the paper or say please?
" And then I draw a nice spaceship on the back, with an arrow pointing at one side of a paper where it says "Your Free Ride To Heaven (or Hell?), So Be Good You Little Professors And Let Me Pass Next Time :tongueout:"
and i don't think calling him little gave you a lot of extra credit points

yeah in college probably thats not a proble with thousands of students but in high school the guy only teaches 100 kids or so and they memorize every kids name and grade (espicially if its bad to rub it in your face in front of the other guys) and they don't get payed that well so there cranky

Back