Shutdown way toooooooo long

{Ron!n}

Distinguished Member
Im running Vista Sp1 and to shutdown/restart it takes at least 5 minutes.
it will quit windows explorer and say shutting down with the blue circle and then you have to wait forever till it finishes.

Any ideas???

I've not had a problem before or since SP1 - Vista close down is very quick. What services/ processes have you got running in the background. Is it having to finish some silent task you're unaware of ?
One of the first things I did after installing Vista was to turn off all its Search Indexing. It really annoyed me how much time the system spent doing work for this function. I know where I've put everything, I don't need Vista chewing up the bulk of my resources to keep unnecessary encyclopaedias about it.

hmmmmm i thought that one of the better points of vista was that it could open files before start up was complete unlike in xp if you were to try and do that your computer would almost definitely crash and beg you to stop

I changed the 20 second waits on both my XP systems, without any of the catastropic consequences that the prophets of doom foretell, (on the link you gave). I've never bothered on Vista because the defaults are lower anyway, and mine shuts down quickly enough.

Last edited:
well i dont think this is the answer, seeing as it exits windows explorer. So most if not all my services are al shutdown. its after it goes to the logon screen thing that it takes a long time.

i saw this online.
AeroXperience SpeedUp Vista shutdown speed, Tip

I didnt want to try it till i got your input.
Any ideas if it will help or not??

It's safe to try.

I've not had a problem before or since SP1 - Vista close down is very quick. What services/ processes have you got running in the background. Is it having to finish some silent task you're unaware of ?
One of the first things I did after installing Vista was to turn off all its Search Indexing. It really annoyed me how much time the system spent doing work for this function. I know where I've put everything, I don't need Vista chewing up the bulk of my resources to keep unnecessary encyclopaedias about it.

Terry, I mostly feel the same way. But some of the stuff that it makes incredibly easy:
  • Full-text search for email messages. I'm subscribed to 5 or 6 mailing lists, some of them very high traffic. With Vista, Outlook can *instantly* find whatever message I care to search for.
  • Finding files about a certain topic that you wrote or grabbed, without remembering its name, etc.
Anyway, it wasn't worth the slowdown on my old PC; but on this beast I hardly notice. Upgrading to Windows Search 4.0 beta helped some, too.

Windows Search 4.0 Beta: Microsoft Download Center

I hardly ever use search on my machine, or find on previous Windows. I have all my mail organized in folders and don't get enough that I keep to need any help finding anything.
About the only searches I do are web searches with the BBC engine (no adverts or commercial bias), and once in a blue moon type in a windows module name if I need to know the folder it's in. Without indexing that only takes 20-30 seconds a few times a year, not worth the overhead of all that grinding index work.
I can see that a developer like you would have a lot more use for it, but I've always resented MS assuming that they know best how to run my system, rather than giving me features I can opt in to if I want them.
I have a similar problem with ATi not giving me the option to turn off pause/rewind live TV.
I never use it, and having it running against my will consumes unnecessary power on my HD, and means that the TV picture/sound is out of phase with all the other TVs within earshot - very annoying. When I pay for software, I'd like it to do what I want.

Speaking of windows search, exactly how does it work.
If i type in "reged" it will say no items found. Same with "regedi".
Not until i type it in full will it show regedit.

well i tried it but it doesnt help. I dont think that the problem is that it doesnt shutdown applications quickly but rather shutting down all of Windows.
A question about this, if when i try shutting down it goes to that log-on screen where it says logging off/shutting down, does that mean that all applications are closed?

Back