Uncrackable Passwords

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Until the new site script is completed, releases are being posted here in the forums.

We are proud to announce the release of Uncrackable Passwords in its 3rd revision! Much expanded, with clearer mathematics, and easier to understand, this release is guaranteed to make your PC more secure.

Document Abstract:
Every password today, no matter for what application or what it secures, is built on a base of 68 "letters" or characters. Some applications use less, but none use more. Brute force password cracking has become more and more viable due to the exponentially increasing power of individual machines and the even greater power of the government's cluster servers, making it now an easy and fast way of recovering any password.

But there is a solution. There are more than 1000 other letters that no one knows about! With these extra letters, it is possible to make passwords that are, for all practical purposes, uncrackable!

Download link:
Uncrackable Passwords (PDF - 442 KB)

(digg story)

*Uncrackable is taken in this context to mean uncrackable for all practical intents and purposes. No password is 100% uncrackable, given enough time and money all can be cracked.

Please Note:
Not all applications support Unicode characters. Please don't try this on ancient programs or on (very) old versions of Microsoft Windows.
These "non-unicode" programs are hard to pin at times, but an example is Microsoft Outlook Express, and Firefox 2.0 has a (ridiculously) hard time entering such characters, although it is a unicode application. Best course of action to take in Firefox is to cut and paste the characters you want from elsewhere until the developers get that fixed.

µ

Well,
  • All Adobe apps (newest versions)
  • Windows Vista, XP, 2k3, and 2k
  • Linux (all recent distros)
  • Microsoft Office
  • Internet Explorer 6 & 7
  • Opera (8 & 9)
  • Notepad
  • Wordpad
  • PGP Desktop 9
  • and many more.....
I'm just listing the ones that people would most likely try to use this password model on...

Where can I find a list of these characters to use?

I don't there really is one.. just use any random 3-character keypress and you should be fine..... assuming you want to use this for security purposes, that is.

too bad this wont work with laptops. Or would you have to turn num lock on or what?

Yes, you'll need to enable numlock first.

another way to make powerful passwords is with an encryption of some kind.

I use Leet Key for FF, Sir Guru do you know of any GPL software out ther for it?

some passwords i use commonly, (i do not use the Key i use for "my" passwords on these example)

AES:
HV9TEhkBITAhITAhLY/CPh6IXPpz (where there is a symbol i just use 1 or something. )

DES:
7qyAmOMQxPM=

Those are the same same passwords before encryption. with the same key being used.

someone kool ones:
YnVsbHNoaXQ= (base64)
ohyyfuvg (ROT13)
62 75 6c 6c 73 68 69 74 (Hex code)
xgnnodcy (Dvorak keyboard)

im still in the process to converting all my passwords over to encryptions ^_^

Kahai, while these passwords are hard to crack by guessing, they're just as susceptible to brute-forcing as normal dictionary-based words.

The purpose of the article is to explain how certain characters when used in a password make it impossible to figure out.

yes i understood that

i know unicode is very powerful lol

and its not impossible, you yourself said they are crackable, if the cracker knows they are using unicode, im sure they could get in then

i have never suffered any form of attack on any computer i have owned, in my 8 years worth of computer useage. i have been using Nvidia firewall and defender(windows) since i got my own machine and i dont really even store very much "important" information.

Yes, you'll need to enable numlock first.

Num Lk was enabled when i tried the following in bold letters, but it didn't work. :frowning:

Implementation
To enter such a password, all you need is an alt key and a number pad. For example, to produce the character μ, simply hold down the right alt key, and on the number pad enter the key sequence 2-3-0, then let go of the alt button (this method only exists in Windows at the moment. Other operating systems may have their own methods of entering such characters). To enter the character μ, simply use 3-2-1 instead!
I tried it in Microsoft Word. Is it supposed to work in Word? And if so, then why didn't it work? :wtf:

Looking forward to your reply...:wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Just tried it again, and it works fine all these years later :smile:

Do you mean in Word? :wtf: Strange then that it doesn't work for me...:scared:

-Coolname007

EDIT: but of course, then again, i'm using a laptop...although i did make sure to turn num lock on first, after reading the comment from you to the other user in this same thread...:wink:

Last edited:
That's when those little usb numpads you can find at tech stores come in handy, but who wants to carry that around with them not to mention the inconvience of having to plug it in if you use special characters with the password to login to your computer.

Out of curiosity, I was thinking on this matter today and wondered if vB supports it for passwords? If so that would be excellent but I don't want to try it on my account without knowing for sure of course.

Last time I checked you didn't need an account to use Visual Basic, so no not Visual Basic... vBulletin... guess I should have typed it out there. That's the problem with technology. The same accronym can have multiple meanings.

Last time I checked you didn't need an account to use Visual Basic, so no not Visual Basic... vBulletin... guess I should have typed it out there. That's the problem with technology. The same accronym can have multiple meanings.

Ahh..ok! :smile: I wasn't sure what you meant by "vB"...so i searched for that exact thing on Google, and only came up with Visual Basic! :tongueout:

Cheers! :lol:

-Coolname007

EDIT: Try this one instead: Quite disappointed about Unicode support. [Archive] - vBulletin Community Forum
EDIT #2: Or this thread: unicode UTF-8 , import , templates , VB3 - vBulletin Community Forum

Last edited:
Yeah... vB = vBulletin, VB = Visual Basic....

Alright...i understand it now! :tongueout: Did you read the two links to vBulletin threads on this question, in my above post? ^_^ I think it may answer your question...:wink: Sorry, but i could not come up with anything else.

Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

Okay, so MySQL fs things up for vB... good thing I didn't try it then :smile:
But than again, this was back in 2000... maybe things have changed since than?

Back