Help removing partition

Well, I set the partition to active using the command line from ideneb dvd. The error I had before was "boot0: 0"
Now it says:
"boot0: MBR
boot0: done"
when starting up w/o ideneb dvd in drive. I can pop it in to boot, and take it out immediately though.

Well, I set the partition to active using the command line from ideneb dvd. The error I had before was "boot0: 0"
Now it says:
"boot0: MBR
boot0: done"
when starting up w/o ideneb dvd in drive. I can pop it in to boot, and take it out immediately though.

Where do you get this message? When you boot into Windows from Grub, and select the OS X entry? You haven't even clarified whether you have added an boot entry in the Win 7 boot menu for OS X yet...:wink:

-Coolname007-

Cool, yes I realize it isnt exact, but I am informing there rather than instructing. I could care less whether or not grub is primary, as long as we can help this user.

You can't set a logical disk as active. Only primary partitions.

Boot from a Vista DVD and use diskpart from the command prompt to undo by setting back the last partition as active if gparted gives you trouble:

Code:
diskpart
list disk
select disk x
list part
select part y
make active
exit

Use startup repair to get back the Vista bootloader. Then use EasyBCD to add an entry for OS X that should be able to boot it without requiring to have OS X disc in the cd-drive or have OS X's partition set as active.

Use startup repair to get back the Vista bootloader. Then use EasyBCD to add an entry for OS X that should be able to boot it without requiring to have OS X disc in the cd-drive or have OS X's partition set as active.

Justin, I'm pretty sure Vista or Grub being in the MBR wouldn't affect whether or not the OS X partition needs to be set to "active", or the OS X CD needing to be in the cd-drive...:wink: That is completely something else.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Installing the Vista bootloader to the mbr and adding a new entry for OS X and testing it is step 1. This requires he reverse making OS X partition somehow active (supposedly) though it isn't possible so that the Vista bootloader can be repaired using startup repair now that hes got OS X installed. Step 2 is installing grub if he wants to, so he gets the 2-menu proccess as desired with grub in control and the added but working OS X entry to the Vista bootloader using EasyBCD.

Installing the Vista bootloader to the mbr and adding a new entry for OS X and testing it is step 1. This requires he reverse making OS X partition somehow active (supposedly) though it isn't possible so that the Vista bootloader can be repaired using startup repair now that hes got OS X installed. Step 2 is installing grub if he wants to, so he gets the 2-menu proccess as desired with grub in control and the added but working OS X entry to the Vista bootloader using EasyBCD.

I still don't get how the Vista bootloader being in the MBR has anything to do with the OS X partition being "active"...:|

-Coolname007

Make the previous active partition again so OS X partition is no longer active - fix vista bootloader to mbr - add entry - install grub if desired.

Make the previous active partition again so OS X partition is no longer active - fix vista bootloader to mbr - add entry - install grub if desired.

No need to install the Win 7 bootloader to the MBR at all...
If he wants to use Grub, then he can use Grub. There is nothing wrong with Grub being installed to the MBR instead, and doesn't have any bearing on his present situation...

What I need is that he explain at what place he's getting that error, and whether or not he has added an entry to boot OS X in the Win 7 bootloader...:wink:

-Coolname007

Re-installing the windows bootloader is so he can ensure that windows and os x is booting properly before procceding with installing grub. The error hes getting won't matter when its setup in this way. Hes probably getting it due to the fact it isn't possible to boot successfully with a logical partition set as active. He can't confirm to you of whether a OS X entry in the windows bootloader works, because right now he can't even boot Windows...

Enough of the debate please. We all want the same thing here, to see that its all working in the end. If you have any more comments, please read over the posts above. I'm sure they've already been addressed many many times.

Re-installing the windows bootloader is so he can ensure that windows and os x is booting properly before procceding with installing grub.
Grub is already installed, and Windows is booting properly.
The error hes getting won't matter when its setup in this way. Hes probably getting it due to the fact it isn't possible to boot successfully with a logical partition set as active. He can't confirm to you of whether a OS X entry in the windows bootloader works, because right now he can't even boot Windows...
He can boot Windows just fine.
Enough of the debate please. We all want the same thing here, to see that its all working in the end. If you have any more comments, please read over the posts above. I'm sure they've already been addressed many many times.
I suggest you be the one who reads over the previous comments, because you may have missed something...:wink: What gave you the idea he couldn't boot into Windows?

-Coolname007

Um.. well the OS X partition as active and the errors he gets when he's booting. Seeing how the user hasnt been on for 2 hours we should stop rambling until we get the update.

But if thats the case, apologies. Procced to adding a entry with EasyBCD for OS X...

Last edited:
Um.. well the OS X partition as active and the errors he gets when he's booting. Seeing how the user hasnt been on for 2 hours we should stop rambling until we get the update.

But if thats the case, apologies. Procced to adding a entry with EasyBCD for OS X...

I realize the OS X partition being set to "active" could be a problem, which is why I told him to add "makeactive" lines to his menu.lst entries (including the Windows ones) if it turns out they are not already there. :wink: If he followed that advice, then Windows should be booting perfectly fine from Grub.

But, if I'm wrong, then I apologize too. It wasn't exactly very clear from his post. :smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Adding to his menu.lst won't help if he can't get grub to come up since OS X has been installed and Darwin would have taken over and OS Xs partition is active...

So many things, but anyway, gnite everyone and apologies for cools and my debate. Maybe we need a debate forum for issues/clarification? :smile:

Adding to his menu.lst won't help if he can't get grub to come up since OS X has been installed and Darwin would have taken over and OS Xs partition is active...
Yeah, but that was the point of him reinstalling Grub to the MBR...:wink: His latest error was after he reinstalled Grub, if I read the posts right.
Like this one, for example...
Well, I have(had) windows booting automatically(after 3 seconds) anyways. I just press "ESC" to open grub menu.

That doesn't matter now...I have a problem. Apparently updating wasn't the source of my boot problem. I need the osx install disk loaded in order to boot it. I googled it and I need to make the partition active.
I tried using diskpart from the command line to set it to "ACTIVE" but I get the error "The specified partition type is not valid for this operation." The osx partition is logical currently.
One more partition problem to figure out...
And that post was after he had already installed OS X.
So many things, but anyway, gnite everyone and apologies for cools and my debate. Maybe we need a debate forum for issues/clarification? :smile:
Good night, Justin. :smile: I'm fixing to go to bed to, so I guess someone can say good night to me as well...:??

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Whoa, you guys have had some fun while I was away. Sorry, I was sidetracked by an email...

I have reinstated grub, and booted into windows, and ubuntu just fine. I'm trying to use easybcd now to boot to osx. I need some help with the settings, though...what should I choose?

Whoa, you guys have had some fun while I was away. Sorry, I was sidetracked by an email...

I have reinstated grub, and booted into windows, and ubuntu just fine. I'm trying to use easybcd now to boot to osx. I need some help with the settings, though...what should I choose?

Just like I thought...:tongueout: You have Grub installed to the MBR, and can boot into Windows. I'll try not to rub it in...:grinning:

Ok, so navigate to EasyBCD's Mac tab, in the Add/Remove Entries section, make sure it is set to "EFI (Default)" in the Mode: drop-down menu. Next, hit the "Add Entry" button. You shouldn't have to change the the drive number for the entry, since it should be set to 0 by default, and that's correct in your case. Then reboot, select that entry in the Win 7 boot menu, and attempt to boot into OS X.

Cheers, and let us know if it works.

-Coolname007

Ok, that's what I tried and I'm getting the same error that I was trying to boot ubuntu "try hd0,0 ext2". I'm looking in to adding osx to the grub menu now...

Ok, that's what I tried and I'm getting the same error that I was trying to boot ubuntu "try hd0,0 ext2". I'm looking in to adding osx to the grub menu now...

Ok...so please post the following 2 things: In EasyBCD's "View Settings" window, post the contents of the "Overview" display mode, and the "Detailed (Debug mode)".

-Coolname007

Ok, I'm in ubuntu now. I'll do that if grub won't work...
Could you refresh my memory on how I know which disk osx is on? For example:
My win7 entry in menu.lst is:
title Windows 7
root (hd0,1)
etc etc

Ok, I'm in ubuntu now. I'll do that if grub won't work...
Could you refresh my memory on how I know which disk osx is on? For example:
My win7 entry in menu.lst is:
title Windows 7
root (hd0,1)
etc etc

Windows 7 is on the first hard drive, second partition. That is because the (hdx,y) notation begins the count for both hard drives and partitions at 0, instead of 1. :wink: However, when you use a command like "sudo fdisk -lu", it prints out the partitions showing the sdxy syntax instead, which begins the count for partitions starting at 1 instead. :smile: That means that the sdax notation will be one partition number ahead than the other one.

-Coolname007

Back