Anyone Here Still Using Word 2003/Office 2003?

If you put them in your templates folder they should show up in the interface just like the Envelope Wizard does. Go to macro settings -> trusted locations to find out where all your template folders are. There will probably be an office wide location and than your own template folder. I'd try copying the contets to the office wide one first.

If its really not as simple as that, you'll need to download the templates and install them from office online. I found a few posts here and there saying that this can all be done, but no one has bothered to post any links to any docs describing the proccess.

I'm getting a bit bug-eyed here staring at this thing, I have to take a break.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Alright, Peter. You need to copy everything to \Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates. According to Office 2007's trusted location settings, this is the default location for templates all users of the system can use. After that, they should all show up in the GUI.

Attachments

• OfficeTemplateLocation.jpg
    OfficeTemplateLocation.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 5
Alright, Peter. You need to copy everything to \Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates. According to Office 2007's trusted location settings, this is the default location for templates all users of the system can use. After that, they should all show up in the GUI.

Which is basically what I suspected, and he already did anyway. :smile: Ok, so now that we they definitely go there, we need to figure out why the wizards aren't being incorporated into the Office 07 interface, and they have to be started manually from the folder they're in. :wink:

-Coolname007

EDIT: Hold on! You're speaking about them going in the Templates folder itself, and not in the 1033 folder that's within the Templates folder?!

Last edited:
Yes, see the scrennshot. With the wizards/templates there as that is the default application template location, they should appear in the GUI.

All the templates are in the Templates\1033 folder. See the attached. Also note that 2007 extensions are .dotx whereas older versions are just .dot, and that is why they don't appear I assume.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 3
All the templates are in the Templates\1033 folder. See the attached.

Yes...but I believe Justin was referring to *moving* them from the 1033 folder within the Templates folder, i.e. so they're in just \Templates, and not \Templates\1033. :wink: According to him, that is where they need to go, not the 1033 folder. As for me, I simply don't know. On my own install on Vista, all the templates and wizards (of both 03 and 07) are in 1033, and nothing's in \Templates except for the 1033 and Presentation Designs folders, and that is where they installed by default, but you can try following Justin's advice, and see if you obtain any better results. If they prove to still not work, while in \Templates, then move them back to 1033, and we'll try to come up with something else.

-Coolname007

I'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm fiddling around with Win 7 right now.

Addendum:

Just tried it in Office 2007 in Win 7 and it didn't work. Still have to go to wherever they are stored and click them to open. They also look different from what they did in 2003.

Last edited:
Ok, now to try the default place for user templates, which would be:

\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

Stuff in 1033 folder shouldn't matter. As you can see above, these are default trusted locations where sub-dirs are also trusted.

I've seen some posts searching for the solution here of people that complain that there are no templates for commom documents in Office 07 like there were in 03, but this is actually untrue, though they may be different from previous versions of Office:

attachment.php

As you can see, you still have templates for creating documents such as a letter or a resume, so if you can't get these installed, than no biggie cause office 07s got similar ones. Now if you don't see them like shown above it will mean you need to install them using your Office installation media, which is what I suspect users who apparently didn't have the templates failed to do.

I'm regretting buying Office and wish I'd just hung on to my old Works suite, it was far friendlier. There are very few what I call plain stationery items in Word 2007 and one has to delve really deeply to find those. There are trillions of ready-made templates, most of which no-one would ever use. That's why the older system was better. It started everything from scratch with some really well designed basic designs.

There isn't any way to install from anywhere but Office online I'm afraid.

Ok, now to try the default place for user templates, which would be:

\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

I thought you said the default location for the templates was \Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates?! :wtf:

That is also what your posted screenshot says...:wink:

-Coolname007

By the way \Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates is any templates that you've personalised and stored.

Addendum:

..and that meets with moderate success in that they now show under "My Templates" in Word 2007.

The trouble is they look different from what they did in 2003...something to do with the rendering or something?

Last edited:
They look different because you have the new format as the default save type. Changing it is possible, but doing so will mean Word will always start off in compatibility mode with no access to features not supported in the old formats.

@cool: the first location is system wide for all of MS Office, the second is for single user customized templates. if you read back, I said there were two possible locations for copy, which would be these.

Last edited:
They look different because you have the new format as the default save type. Changing it is possible, but doing so will mean Word will always start off in compatibility mode with no access to features not supported in the old formats.

@cool: the first location is system wide for all of MS Office, the second is for single user customized templates. if you read back, I said there were two possible locations for copy, which would be these.
Ok, so reading back I see...

It appears you said default *location*, not default *locations*! :brows:

-Coolname007

Ah give me a break dude. Your really going to critize someone for leaving out a "s"? Read first paragraph, post 21 for pete sake...

Anyway, it appears he got it working under the user location.

Ah give me a break dude. Your really going to critize someone for leaving out a "s"? Read first paragraph, post 21 for pete sake...

Anyway, it appears he got it working under the user location.

Ok...I apologize. I guess I missed that post. :shame: But seriously, I was only joking...:wink: No need to get offended at a simple remark like that.

-Coolname007

That is also what your posted screenshot says...

Sorry for the confusion on my behalf. The screenshot is an edit for a single trusted location, and doesn't show the whole list of defaults that Office puts in there. I did that way so you could see the whole path, as you can't see it without clicking modify.

Thanks for the help.

Addendum:

Now if I could only find the letter wiz from Works/Word 2003 or 4 - that one was different from this one. I may look around to see if I can lay my hands on an old copy. I should never have thrown mine out.

Last edited:
I'm busy right now, but if I get the chance this weekend I'll get out my old Office 2003 disc and install it in W7 to get the templates for you if it'll work...

Unless that is, if Cool can find the specific templates you want in his Office 03 install.

Back