Laptop Combo-Drive Failure?

Maccer0

Alright, before my hard-drive failed, I deleted OpenSUSE properly and all, and then began download ubuntu and burning the CD in IMGBURN. :happy: As I was burning ubuntu and as it was finalizing/finishing up, an error occurred which I didn't document. I guess it might have cut itself off while writing? It continued to write, and when it was finished, I decided to verify the disc because it had errors. It had an error reading some sector, and failed to read the rest I think.

I tried to attempt ubuntu's iso write on a DVD-R CD, and it completely failed, it display some strip/chunk of hex code, so I tried to let it continue. Afterwards it displayed another error which I didn't document either. I decided it could use a hard-reboot, and so I did that.

Once I booted up, I got an error as it was trying to boot some operating system up. It displayed a message saying: "Non-system disk or disk error [newline] Replace and strike any key when ready." I decided I should pop in my usb-ubuntu flash drive and boot up ubuntu, obviously. When I did, ubuntu reported some errors and put messages up saying something had an I/O error:

I was a bit hopeless, so I popped in my Windows Vista Recovery x64 CD and see if it would load. Sometimes it would load to some point, and sometimes it would attempt to load, and crash with the error message (only going to include error code):

"
Info: An unexpected I/O error has occured.
"

Now I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I don't really want to risk taking out my CD-Drive, and I'm really reluctant in calling/giving my laptop to HP. The NeoSmart community always has answers, so I hope you guys will help me. ^_^

If I really need to remove my CD-drive, I guess I'll do it... should I get anti-static wrist straps and mats (carpet floor)?

Edit: Ubuntu reports some I/O write failure with some functions called aufs au_xino_write:200 and aufs au_xino_do_write:242 .
Ubuntu Images:

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/7252/img1u.jpg
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9787/img2mxg.jpg
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1754/img3suy.jpg

Addendum:

***VICTORY DANCE CELEBRATION TIME!***

I burned me a copy of G-Parted live, and found out that my main O.S partition did not have a boot flag. :grinning: I set it to boot, and it loaded! Victory dance!

Last edited:
It sounds like your issue was due to either a messed-up CD drive or hard disk (or both).
Strange that setting the "boot" (active) flag to your main OS partition fixed the problem with the Ubuntu UFD and the Vista recovery disk not loading, but anyway, glad you got it working! :smile:

It sounds like your issue was due to either a messed-up CD drive or hard disk (or both).
Strange that setting the "boot" (active) flag to your main OS partition fixed the problem with the Ubuntu UFD and the Vista recovery disk not loading, but anyway, glad you got it working! :smile:
You know it. :smile: I burned Ubuntu successfully and it even installed now. It was great. Why would a boot flag mess up my whole system boot-up? I also noticed ubuntu is a bit whiny when booting up, if there's something wrong in the system... even if it's a hard-drive that's not in use, it fails you. :glare:

Back