Ubuntu Confusion

Grub menu or Grub prompt?

If its grub prompt, run these commands:
Code:
find /boot/grub/grub.cfg
root (hdx,y)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
boot
where "x" and "y" are replaced with the correct HDD and partition values respectively, returned by the find command. Let us know the results.

Addendum:

Hi all,

So this is what is in Neogrub:

title Ubuntu 9.10
map (hd0) (hd2)
map (hd2) (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
Also, are you sure the Ubuntu partition is the first partition on the HDD? hd0,0 = first HDD in BIOS boot sequence, first partition slot in the MBR of that HDD. I noticed you said you have a data partition on it too. Which one comes first?

Last edited:
OK..

find /boot/grub/grub.cfg returns (hd2,1)

then the cursor hangs.

Reboot; at grub typed root (hdx,y). Nada. Of course....I realized that I should use the Hd2,1 information....

so tried root (hd2,1); received information that the file system is ext2fs, type 0x83.

kernel /boot/grub/core.img returns file not found. Naturally, boot did not work. Somehow I think the key is finding our where the boot files are....I still don't know the answer to that or how to get to the bottom of it. Please recall that I can boot into Ubuntu by hitting F12 and straight to the Samsung hard drive.

Also, for what its worth, using easybcd's Linux menus, Drive 0 shows as the drive with XP and Win 7 (and the Dell utility partition); Drive 1 partition 1 showed as Linux; Drive 2 showed as the big NTFS drive.

I keep feeling that a solution is around the corner. Sorry that I am such as Linux newbie (of course that is why I installed it, I am trying to learn it!).

Last edited:
Well, there's your problem...
core.img is definitely missing, when it should exist in the /boot/grub directory on the Ubuntu partition. It seems Grub2 was not installed correctly when you installed Ubuntu, for some reason.

Anyway, just for fun, try these commands from the grub prompt:
Code:
root (hd2,1)
kernel /boot/grub/boot.img
boot
and if that doesn't work,
Code:
root (hd2,1)
kernel /boot/grub/kernel.img
boot
I'm not sure what all those differently named .img files are for, but I figure its worth a try to attempt to load a couple of the other files you noticed in the Grub directory. Its possible Grub may be playing "hide the kernel"...

(Honestly, I'm still using Ubuntu 8.10 which uses Grub Legacy, which is why my knowledge on Grub2 is not up to max...:tongueout:)

Addendum:

OK..

find /boot/grub/grub.cfg returns (hd2,1)
Yeah, I had been about to tell you the same thing (remembered and re-read the fdisk output), but my Internet connection was having problems, and I couldn't make the post...
Also, for what its worth, using easybcd's Linux menus, Drive 0 shows as the drive with XP and Win 7 (and the Dell utility partition); Drive 1 partition 1 showed as Linux; Drive 2 showed as the big NTFS drive.

I keep feeling that a solution is around the corner. Sorry that I am such as Linux newbie (of course that is why I installed it, I am trying to learn it!).
Then according to that, the value returned by the find command should have actually been (hd1,1), which is the second HDD, second partition on it (EasyBCD doesn't read the extended partition, which happens to be holding the first primary partition slot in that disk's MBR)...:wtf: Strangely though, your earlier fdisk output reported your main HDD (with XP and W7) was first, followed by the big NTFS HDD, with the Linux HDD as 3rd and last...
Have you been changing the boot sequence around in the BIOS, while you were in the process of booting from the ubuntu disk and all?

If not, I suppose its possible Grub installed part of its boot files on the big NTFS drive (though it beats me why).

Last edited:
I finally threw in the towel and went back to Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit. As usual, installed it with all other drives disconnected.

My logic was:

First, I could not figure out where the boot files were hiding.

Second, I developed a suspicion that the MBR was corrupt. Specifically, there seemed to be a spurious volume of 1.3 TB buried, that could not be removed except throw a reformat (tried Ubuntu install utilities, Windows XP and 7 disc partition utilities, and GParted live).

Third, I read a very negative review of 9.10 64 bit on Toms Hardware, which made me think that perhaps my problems were more system than I had thought.

Anyway, fortunately, there was very little on this drive that was critical (more of a testbed). So I nuked it and installed 9.04.

EasyBCD works now using the original Grub.

I may eventually install 9.10, but I'll do it as an upgrade from 9.04. But right now I am in no rush.

I really very much appreciate the help and tips. The way things go...I'll be back!!

Back