EasyBC 2.0.0.79 Works but not with Hide N Seek

Where are your W7 apps installed ? and your XP apps ?
Are they both with their respective OSs ? If not you will need to offline the W7 apps partition too.

The Win7 apps are stored with the Windows7 primary partition. The XP apps are on D: which was the former E: partition.

In each OS, you must turn off system restore on every drive except the OS and where its apps are (if different).
It follows that apps cannot be on a shared partition, though the data they use can be.
You should end up, on both systems, with system restore only enabled on one (or 2) drives, and those drives should be different on each system.
There should not be any drive which has system restore enabled from both OSs. If one restore folder can be seen by both systems, it will be corrupted by XP, and Win7 will have a broken chain to which its only response is "start again".
Check the above, set a W7 RP, boot XP, check that explorer can't open W7 files or see its apps, boot W7 again and check that the RP is still OK.
The only restore point in Windows7 is its primary drive where its o/s is installed and the same for XP.

If it's gone, join the club, get HnS.
I tried using HnS several days ago and when I use that I can not boot XP I get the error about ntoskrnl.exe missing

That was before you relettered your partitions.
Give it another try.
If it doesn't work, paste the .log file contents (same folder as UI.exe) and menu.lst from the "system" partition root here and we'll see why not.

Last edited:
That was before you relettered your partitions.
Give it another try.
If it doesn't work, paste the .log file contents (same folder as UI.exe) and menu.lst from the "system" partition root here and we'll see why not.

Same error. Files attached.

Attachments

• Vista HnS .txt
    16 KB · Views: 5
  • menu.txt
    510 bytes · Views: 4
I've been increasingly creating custom bit.ly or j.mp links that I can easily remember.

Off the top of my head, j.mp/EBCD2 which is for the EasyBCD thread and j.mp/MiniDumpTool which is for the core dump creator.

Much easier to memorize than real links, and short enough to type out without copy-and-pasting or needing to bookmark.

Those links ever expire?

Addendum:

Well the technet article allowed me in XP to rename the Win7 partition from D: to W: which in turn allowed me to use Disk Management to rename E: partition to D: . However the 2nd article's instructions via the registry edits in XP did not hide Win7 partition (W: in XP).

Ok, its not supposed to hide the partition. What it does is make it offline, so XP's boot proccess ignores the drive completely and leaves W7's restore points alone. When its offline, the drive may show up in my computer and the partition well continue to show up in disk management. You can access the drive, but you'll know its working if you don't see any of the partitions folders/files.

I don't think technets to blame for those that can't get it working but for what its worth I found the KB article about it here.

As for your logs the only thing I see is its having some trouble deleting files durning uninstallation of HnS. Does it run with admin rights?

Last edited:
Horrible thought !
You've never posted your DM details. XP isn't on a logical drive by any chance ?
If so, you can't use HnS.
The logic requires that if Vista/W7 is "system", then XP has to assume that role temporarily while V/W7 is hidden, else the PC will never boot again. To that end, you'll see a copy of the bootmgr and grub "makeactive" command applied to XP.
A logical drive cannot be "active", so the command (and the boot) will fail.

OK.
From W7, run UI.exe and request that HnS remove itself.
Then search your disks for any left over .hns files, and delete them all.
Then, run the UI again and see if that works.
(HnS, being Beta, doesn't cope well if detritus from previous failures interferes with it.)
If not, paste the same info as before and describe the nature of the failure.

Well I did find an orphan HNS file. I then ran UI and installed HnS however I am still having a problem if I remove the XP boot entry from the Vista bootloader as I get the NTOSKRNL error still. If I do not remove it and select XP from the Vista boot loader then XP boots ok.\

I have attached the DM screen as well as boot.ini and boot.ini.hns files. Also if XP boots (as outlined above) I can still see the Win7 partition (W:smile:.

Attachments

• DMWinXP.JPG
    DMWinXP.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 2
  • boot.ini.txt
    207 bytes · Views: 1
  • boot.ini.hns.txt
    164 bytes · Views: 1
You shouldn't launch XP from the W7 BCD.
To get there, you've already unhidden W7 (which is why you can see it from XP).
You must launch it from the HnS menu.lst.
That's where the hiding gets done.
Can you post the contents of the boot.ini you see from W7 EasyBCD/tools/edit legacy, and the HnS log and menu.lst as before.

Last edited:
Can you attach a DM screenshot from W7 side.
You were previously flagging H as XP, now it's W.
Your legacy boot.ini shows 2 XPs, one primary, one logical.
Are you sure you're correctly identifying everything to HnS ?

Can you attach a DM screenshot from W7 side.
You were previously flagging H as XP, now it's W.
Your legacy boot.ini shows 2 XPs, one primary, one logical.
Are you sure you're correctly identifying everything to HnS ?

The first one in the boot.ini is the one that allows me to currently boot WinXP. Attached is the DM from Win7.

Attachments

• Win7DM.JPG
    Win7DM.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 5
This is very strange.
That boot.ini has the format of one created by EasyBCD 2.0 auto-configure.
If so, it detected 2 XP systems, one on the logical I: disk (5), and one which had no letter (1) which you have presumably relettered to W, which appears from the log to have been called H for previous HnS attempts.
The mystery is why Easy2 detects it as (1) while HnS detects it as (2). The Easy2 code was born as part of HnS.
Try changing your W:\boot.ini from partition(2) to (1) in both places, and see if XP boots successfully from the HnS menu.

This is very strange.
That boot.ini has the format of one created by EasyBCD 2.0 auto-configure.
If so, it detected 2 XP systems, one on the logical I: disk (5), and one which had no letter (1) which you have presumably relettered to W, which appears from the log to have been called H for previous HnS attempts.
The mystery is why Easy2 detects it as (1) while HnS detects it as (2). The Easy2 code was born as part of HnS.
Try changing your W:\boot.ini from partition(2) to (1) in both places, and see if XP boots successfully from the HnS menu.

I can explain why there is a logical partition in that list there is an old install on XP whose primary partition I intentionally changed to a logical partition to allow me to still access the data that was created during the use of that install. However I do not want to ever boot off that install and that is why I changed it to a logical partition ("J:").

Addendum:

Well I changed the boot.ini on the XP partition to use partition (1) for both entries. In Win7 I removed HnS and redid HnS selecting Win7 as Vista and W: aka XP partition. Then tried to boot into XP and still got the all too familar <windows root>\\system32\notoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt error message. I have uninstalled HnS and in order to boot XP I went back to using only EasyBCD.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have run HnS after changing the boot ini.
It recreates it.
I was trying to see if it had got it wrong (according to Easy2) by doing a manual edit from partition 2 to 1 to match the EasyBCD version. You should have just tried to boot, nothing more.

Sorry but I did. I checked all of the boot.ini files the one in Win7 and the one in the XP parttion. The one in WinXP had a reference to partition 2 again. I had to edit the boot.ini file in XP partition and made sure both lines indicating partition(2) were changed to partition(1). Only then did XP finally boot properly and allowed Win7 partition to be hidden.

Last edited:
Back