multi boot off single partition

Draexo

I am familiar with dual booting in the "classic" way. Make another partition, use a BCD editor (Easy BCD) install other OS and choose which I want at boot up.

What I want to know is if I can dual boot without creating another partition and keeping the drive letters the same. Is this possible?

Yes. But only with Windows 7 or Ubuntu by using a virtual hard disk. Or create a WinPE image and boot that.

Heres how to create VHDs to install into. You can do all the diskpart action from a command prompt, no need to already have a Windows installation in place.

Heres how to create VHDs to install into. You can do all the diskpart action from a command prompt, no need to already have a Windows installation in place.
Until your post, I had no idea what a VHD was! I've learned a few things now about VHD's.
It looks simple enough... the link provided makes it appear easy to do. Can I still manage the booting OS with Easy BCD? And is there any reason to limit the size to 16 gb?

I am going to experiment with this and see how it goes!

Thanks so much

After creating the VHD, instead of mucking around with bcdedit commands, you can add the VHD Windows 7 to the bootloader from inside EasyBCD.

Just go to "Add Entry" and "VHD"

Back