multi boot off single partition

Draexo

I am familiar with dual booting in the "classic" way. Make another partition, use a BCD editor (Easy BCD) install other OS and choose which I want at boot up.

What I want to know is if I can dual boot without creating another partition and keeping the drive letters the same. Is this possible?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Yes. But only with Windows 7 or Ubuntu by using a virtual hard disk. Or create a WinPE image and boot that.

JustinW

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heres how to create VHDs to install into. You can do all the diskpart action from a command prompt, no need to already have a Windows installation in place.

Draexo

Heres how to create VHDs to install into. You can do all the diskpart action from a command prompt, no need to already have a Windows installation in place.
Until your post, I had no idea what a VHD was! I've learned a few things now about VHD's.
It looks simple enough... the link provided makes it appear easy to do. Can I still manage the booting OS with Easy BCD? And is there any reason to limit the size to 16 gb?

I am going to experiment with this and see how it goes!

Thanks so much

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
After creating the VHD, instead of mucking around with bcdedit commands, you can add the VHD Windows 7 to the bootloader from inside EasyBCD.

Just go to "Add Entry" and "VHD"