Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The boot configuration data store could not be opened.

Default The boot configuration data store could not be opened.

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
    The system cannot find the file specified.
    BCD registry for EasyBCD

Help!

If EasyBCD can't find the BCD, its usually a problem with the hidden "system" partition which a W7 install creates. Otherwise, it could be because you're using a 3rd party boot manager (like me), and are hiding the partition containing the BCD from the OS you are running EasybCD from.

The DARK knight. The knight of DARKNESS.
    SHADOW
    killer. The NINJA, master of darkness, stealth and invisibility.
    Jake Johnson

Having dual-booting problems? Have a read of the following links to help you better accomplish your goal:

1. PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING WITH A PROBLEM | 2. Steps for Multibooting | 3. Multibooters - Understanding the Multiboot Process

You do have Vista or W7 installed somewhere ?
    (EasyBCD will run on XP, but XP doesn't have a BCD to open)
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

If you do have one you should be able to browse for it. It should be located at x:\boot\bcd where x: varies (likely c: if that's your active/system partition). You'll need to type the full path in the filename field unless you've got hidden and OS protected files viewable in explorer's folder options.

Make sure you're using EasyBCD 2.0 available at EasyBCD 2.0 Beta Builds - The NeoSmart Forums
    Mahmoud Al-Qudsi, Director

I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages

Follow us on twitter @neosmart or on Facebook!
    Like us on facebook!

i have the same error too im using the latest easy bcd i need help!

What system are you running EasyBCD on ?
    Do you have a copy of Vista or W7 ?
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

I have xp and i need to remove wubi!

EasyBCD is a tool for manipulating the Vista/W7 BCD. If you don't have one, then it has no function.
    It will run on an XP system, but it only has something to do if XP is dual-booted with an OS that uses a BCD.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry60 View Post
    EasyBCD is a tool for manipulating the Vista/W7 BCD. If you don't have one, then it has no function.
    It will run on an XP system, but it only has something to do if XP is dual-booted with an OS that uses a BCD.

Wrong. Who prohibits you to have BCD without having Vista/W7? EasyBCD HAS a lot of functions besides Vista/Windows 7 support, including USB/Network boot on systems without BIOS supporting them.

You can use it on systems without Vista/W7 installed.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/how-to...ws-xp-machine/

Terry is correct. Windows Vista and Windows 7 are the ONLY OSes that use BCD to boot. Without either of those on the computer there's no use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Janerd View Post
    I have xp and i need to remove wubi!
    Ok, thats great and all but you do not need to put BCD on the machine. Again its a bootloader and isnt going to get rid of Wubi. To get rid of Wubi it should have an uninstaller and as for removing it from any boot menus you're getting at startup have a look at your boot.ini file, where the entry to boot Wubi well have been created on your system.

Hi Mac, welcome to NST.
    There is nothing "wrong" in the statement you quote.
    Maybe you misunderstood "one". It referred to the BCD, not to the OS
    If you don't have a BCD, EasyBCD has nothing to do.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

You have to differentiate between the BCD and the Operating Systems it comes with.

You and Terry are both correct - EasyBCD is a valuable tool regardless of the OSes you have installed. It can do crazy amounts of magic (especially in the new 2.0 version) with many operating systems and even without any.... but it *does* need the BCD, which is what Terry meant when he said that it's useless in a situation where XP is dual-booted with a non-BCD OS.

The link you point to makes XP itself use the BCD, so it cancels Terry's own conditional statement.

At the end of the day: Use EasyBCD on a BCD system and have fun
    Mahmoud Al-Qudsi, Director

I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages

Follow us on twitter @neosmart or on Facebook!
    Like us on facebook!

I have fixed this problem with the v.2.0 beta thank you very much.

I just had to browse manually to the C:\boot\bcd file.

Good work !

ps. (Windows 7)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry60 View Post
    I have XP x86 and XP x64. I would like to change the dual boot mode because it gives me 10 seconds to choose, when I want 30.

I previousy used EasyBCD on a dual-boot between Win7 and XP x86.
    So now, there's just nothing for me to do?
    Free your mind!