The boot configuration data store could not be opened.

iansuth

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
The system cannot find the file specified.
BCD registry for EasyBCD

Help!

If EasyBCD can't find the BCD, its usually a problem with the hidden "system" partition which a W7 install creates. Otherwise, it could be because you're using a 3rd party boot manager (like me), and are hiding the partition containing the BCD from the OS you are running EasybCD from.

You do have Vista or W7 installed somewhere ?
(EasyBCD will run on XP, but XP doesn't have a BCD to open)

If you do have one you should be able to browse for it. It should be located at x:\boot\bcd where x: varies (likely c: if that's your active/system partition). You'll need to type the full path in the filename field unless you've got hidden and OS protected files viewable in explorer's folder options.

EasyBCD is a tool for manipulating the Vista/W7 BCD. If you don't have one, then it has no function.
It will run on an XP system, but it only has something to do if XP is dual-booted with an OS that uses a BCD.

EasyBCD is a tool for manipulating the Vista/W7 BCD. If you don't have one, then it has no function.
It will run on an XP system, but it only has something to do if XP is dual-booted with an OS that uses a BCD.

Wrong. Who prohibits you to have BCD without having Vista/W7? EasyBCD HAS a lot of functions besides Vista/Windows 7 support, including USB/Network boot on systems without BIOS supporting them.

You can use it on systems without Vista/W7 installed.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/how-to-install-the-vista-bootloader-on-a-windows-xp-machine/

Terry is correct. Windows Vista and Windows 7 are the ONLY OSes that use BCD to boot. Without either of those on the computer there's no use for it.

I have xp and i need to remove wubi!

Ok, thats great and all but you do not need to put BCD on the machine. Again its a bootloader and isnt going to get rid of Wubi. To get rid of Wubi it should have an uninstaller and as for removing it from any boot menus you're getting at startup have a look at your boot.ini file, where the entry to boot Wubi well have been created on your system.

Hi Mac, welcome to NST.
There is nothing "wrong" in the statement you quote.
Maybe you misunderstood "one". It referred to the BCD, not to the OS
If you don't have a BCD, EasyBCD has nothing to do.

You have to differentiate between the BCD and the Operating Systems it comes with.

You and Terry are both correct - EasyBCD is a valuable tool regardless of the OSes you have installed. It can do crazy amounts of magic (especially in the new 2.0 version) with many operating systems and even without any.... but it *does* need the BCD, which is what Terry meant when he said that it's useless in a situation where XP is dual-booted with a non-BCD OS.

The link you point to makes XP itself use the BCD, so it cancels Terry's own conditional statement.

At the end of the day: Use EasyBCD on a BCD system and have fun :smile:

I have fixed this problem with the v.2.0 beta thank you very much.

I just had to browse manually to the C:\boot\bcd file.

Good work !

ps. (Windows 7)

I have XP x86 and XP x64. I would like to change the dual boot mode because it gives me 10 seconds to choose, when I want 30.

I previousy used EasyBCD on a dual-boot between Win7 and XP x86.
So now, there's just nothing for me to do?

You can just edit the value in boot.ini with any text editor
(or from memory (It's a long time since I used XP for anything) msconfig/boot tab will let you change the value)

@boblehachoir: I use also W7, but I don't have C:\boot directory. But, I have a hidden partition called SYSTEM. I don't know what that is. So, still I am looking where the mysterious bcd file is placed by EasyBCD.

@boblehachoir: I use also W7, but I don't have C:\boot directory. But, I have a hidden partition called SYSTEM. I don't know what that is. So, still I am looking where the mysterious bcd file is placed by EasyBCD.
Give the hidden system partition a drive letter in Disk Management, make sure the folder options in the control panel are set to display hidden files and folders and protected system files, then look in the root of that partition. You should see a greyed out folder called "boot". Look inside that and you'll find the BCD.

@Coolname007: Thank you for the hint. Yeah, I can now edit the actual BCD file and load grub from Boot manager. So, my laptop HP5310m is now dual booting : Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04. Nice, since I'm new to Windows world. Thank you again.

Hi guys, I'm having a similar problem. I have XP installed after 7 was already installed. Created a seperate partition and then installed XP on that seperate partition. Now only boots to XP with no option. Installed easy BCD, didn't work (the one from this guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html).

Then got the latest build of the 2.0 beta as described above. Still didn't work, tried manually navigating to a 'boot' folder, but didn't see it. Showing hidden files and folders is enabled under the windows folder options. Still no boot record to be found.

What now?

Back