A simple question concerning the Linux option in EasyBCD...

Though I probably could put together a menu.lst and set up manually, why go through all that hassle?
Even if you did want to set up manually, its really not that hard assuming you let linux install grub to its partition. All ya haft to do is copy the entries over to the menu.lst in the NST\ directory and whoa.

The default loader the ubuntu installer places on the drive is one form of Grub. The idea behind the gui method seen with EasyBCD however is to get past the need for manually entering this or that especially for those new to Linux.

The gui method only works assuming you got a menu.lst on your linux partition to work with. Unless you're a linux genious and know the exact parameters for a normal linux boot, you should install grub to the partition so it is generated. This way you don't haft to worry about it.

Umm...did either of you read where i said NeoGrub already works, along with the normal Ubuntu entry??? :wtf: Like i said (so many times before...) I can boot into Ubuntu just fine either way! :lol: My issue now is figuring out why the F the auto-config is not working, even with Grub installed to the Ubuntu partition, an Ubuntu menu.lst (configured correctly) located on the Ubuntu partition, and the correct partition selected...so why the hell does it not work??? :wtf:

Sorry for being a little rude here...i just simply do not understand why its not working even with everything setup the way it should! :grinning:

-Coolname007

Well if grub wasn't installed to the bootsector or you got another menu.lst in NST\ that might be the problem... what filesystem you using? I've only tested this with ext2 with a non-raid setup.

Well if grub wasn't installed to the bootsector or you got another menu.lst in NST\ that might be the problem... what filesystem you using? I've only tested this with ext2 with a non-raid setup.

I'm using ext3, and yes, Grub is installed to the bootsector! :smile: So you think that my NeoGrub menu.lst might be interfering with it? how could that be, since one method uses Bootpart and the other one uses NeoGrub, and i'm trying to use the one that uses Bootpart?!! :lol: Not to mention the fact that the entry i configured manually that uses Bootpart works fine to boot Ubuntu...:brows:

Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

It does support ext3 but not ext4. That's something CG is working on with the 2.0 beta.

Without NeoGrub installed into the mbr it focuses on the menu.lst found on the root partition. That in turn starts up the boot loader there. I still see a menu.lst file in the NST folder here however.

menu.lst doesn't start a bootloader pc eye, it is nothing more than a config file for boot entries like boot.ini is to Windows except it is more descriptive than that by defining which kernel and initrd to use since grldr is more flexible than ntldr.

I wasn't saying that the menu.lst itself started the boot loader but points NeoGrub to it. The boot.ini points the ntldr at the XP partiion there.

NeoGrub by default will NOT get config info from Ubuntu. Only when you install it via the Linux section will NeoGrub be installed then configured to use Ubuntu's config.

Once you add the entry after selecting the drive and partition some part of NeoGrub would have to be placed there from what you are saying. When installing ubuntu to a separate drive here and still seeing the stage 1.5 loading Grub 22 error you know the ubuntu installer placed something on the Vista drive too.

NeoGrub by default will NOT get config info from Ubuntu. Only when you install it via the Linux section will NeoGrub be installed then configured to use Ubuntu's config.

Ok...but can you explain why the Ubuntu entry, that works with Bootpart, and was created with the box unchecked does not work? it seems as if everyone is avoiding this issue, and only pointing out things pertaining to NeoGrub...:huh:

-Coolname007

Because GRUB wasn't installed to the bootsector properly.

Oh no...it was! :smile: If it wasn't, then how could i possibly boot into Ubuntu from the Vista bootloader, using the entry configured manually with the Bootpart commands? that one works fine...:wink: So its quite obvious to me that Grub is properly installed the bootsector of the Ubuntu partition...especially since I ran the following commands in a terminal, booting from the LiveCD:

Code:
sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1 (which gave me (hd0,3) as the location that the Ubuntu partition was at)
root (hd0,3)
setup (hd0,3)
quit

That was completed correctly quite a while ago, and I can boot just fine into Ubuntu with the entry in the Vista bootloader that I can configured manually with the Command Prompt, and using the Bootart that I downloaded separately! :lol: So now someone tell me that Grub isn't installed to the bootsector of the Ubuntu partition correctly...:lup:

-Coolname007

Just because you configure neogrub manually and get an entry in Vista's bootloader to load Ubuntu properly doesn't mean grub has been installed to the partition's bootsector. The entries in your menu.lst don't point to the bootsector and therefore don't rely on it because you've basically told neogrub everything it needs to know to boot Ubuntu directly.

Just because you configure neogrub manually and get an entry in Vista's bootloader to load Ubuntu properly doesn't mean grub has been installed to the partition's bootsector. The entries in your menu.lst don't point to the bootsector and therefore don't rely on it because you've basically told neogrub everything it needs to know to boot Ubuntu directly.

haha! :lol: that's funny! :smile: Somehow this reminds me of the time when I had to convince everyone here that I did have XP installed...:evil:

The entry for Ubuntu (that uses Bootpart), which i configured manually with the Command Prompt, boots just fine into Ubuntu, apart from NeoGrub...and like i mentioned above, Grub was installed to the partition using the Grub commands in the terminal from the LiveCD! :lup: That I know to be a fact! >.< You can either choose to believe me or not believe me...either way, it is a fact that Grub is installed to the Ubuntu partiton, and works just fine. :wink: At any rate, i know a hack for doing the same thing EasyBCD is supposed to accomplish, and can continue to do it this way even if there is no fix made to the problem with EasyBCD communicating with Bootpart. I really do not need EasyBCD for that purpose...I was only wanting to know for future reference alone, and also in case I ever need to help someone else with the same problem.

But as I see this discussion is going nowhere, i will cease to post in this thread, unless something of value or worthy of a response is finally said here...

Cheerio, mates! :smile:

-Coolname007

P.S. Thanks, though, Justin, CG, and PC Eye for the previous help with my problems...I certainly appreciate it. I just do not think that this particular discussion is going to go anywhere until someone finally believes me that Grub is installed properly to the Ubuntu partition...

Last edited:
It isn't that I don't believe you, i'm just trying to brainstorm the matter with you and try to figure out why things are so screwed up. Unfortunately sometimes descriptive posts aren't enough. Technology is never perfect because it is developed by humans. There will always be the occasional case of the unsolved or unexplainable. But yes, I too will cease to the thread unless I can think of some other worthwile possibility for the problems you've encountered.

I tend to agree with Justin. EasyBCD has been vetted across several thousand Ubuntu installations, and in all cases where GRUB has been properly installed to the bootsector it has no problems.

Now the likely explanation is that due to bootsector junk from old OSes and stuff, GRUB was not installed in the expected/default way.

I tend to agree with Justin. EasyBCD has been vetted across several thousand Ubuntu installations, and in all cases where GRUB has been properly installed to the bootsector it has no problems.

Now the likely explanation is that due to bootsector junk from old OSes and stuff, GRUB was not installed in the expected/default way.

Ok...to clear things up a bit! :smile:

Ubuntu on mine was an originally Wubi install of Ubuntu 8.10...which I transferred to a real partition with LVPM (Loopmounted Virtual Partition Manager). In case you don't know what that is, here is the website of LVPM: Lubi, LVPM, UNetbootin, and Bubakup - LVPM

At that point, I had to edit my Ubuntu menu.lst to say the correct disk and partition numbers, which in my case was "hd0,3", before I could boot into my "real" install of Ubuntu 8.10. So what I'm simply saying here is that I did not use the LiveCD to install Ubuntu 8.10, which I know is the normal and standard way to install Ubuntu 8.10. But the process if perfectly safe, and is an easy way (if you have been using Wubi) to copy over your files and setting from your Wubi install to a real partition.

And then I booted from a Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop CD, and ran the following commands to install Grub to Ubuntu's partition (since LVPM by default installs to the MBR):

sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1 (which returned (hd0,3) as the partition that Ubuntu was installed to)
root (hd0,3)
setup (hd0,3)
quit
closed the Terminal, and then rebooted, and booted into Ubuntu from the Vista bootloader, using the entry added by EasyBCD! :brows:
Now obviously this skips over some of the steps that I went through, before the Ubuntu entry created by EasyBCD worked...:wink: For instance, I had to (as mentioned in previous threads...) use a separate Bootpart that I downloaded, and extracted to C:/ to make the Ubuntu entry created by EasyBCD work. This I did, by running the following commands in the Command Prompt in Vista:

C:/bootpart.exe
C:/bootpart 4 c:/ubuntu.lnx Ubuntu Linux
This saw the entry created by EasyBCD for Ubuntu boot into Ubuntu as it was supposed to...:smile: But before I had done that, I tried multiple times to see if the auto-config in EasyBCD for Linux would work...but it failed every damn time. :huh: And before you ask, the entry I created for Ubuntu was pointed at Ubuntu's partition (which was Partition 3 (Linux native - 20 GB) as shown in the drop-down "Drive" menu)! And the box titled "Grub isn't installed to the bootsector" was left unchecked...which means, it should have used (EasyBCD's) Bootpart to boot Ubuntu automatically...but that was not the case, and I ended up having to use the separate Bootpart that I downloaded!

Don't ask me why EasyBCD's Linux option didn't work for me, because I simply don't know...:wtf: I did everything right, but it still didn't work until manually downloading Bootpart, and running the above commands in my Command Prompt in Visa! :scared: And now I have tried the 2.0 Beta of EasyBCD that you sent to me, but I'm still having the same problem with the auto-config not working...:S

And so I would like to know how running those commands to install Grub is "not being properly installed"! :brows:

Cheers. :tongueout:

-Coolname007

P.S. Thanks for all your help, CG. I really appreciate it. It just really puzzles me that it still doesn't work...

EDIT: And the partition that I installed Ubuntu to, was a new partition...and not one that was previously occupied by any "old OSes and stuff"!

Last edited:
NeoGrub and EasyBCD are for the common case. No one is promising here that they will work as expected in every case, especially if the user is using tools that have not been tested with the programs during the beta/initial debug proccess. A commerical organization would proably void even providing support for unapproved or undocumented uses, but we try to help with the experience we have regardless.

I am not taking sides on this or anything... it would be quite nice if there are never problems but there are. That is why we need users like you who can test and find out what is wrong so it can be fixed. Short of witnessing the problem first hand and understanding it fully from your description, there is little we can do to remedy your problem. I think I've said my peace on the topic.

Back