Access and Modify Partition Files

abcat

Hi,

is there any software preferably which are free one that are able to access to partition files and edit it?

I tried Acronis Disk Director, it seems to allow me some basic edit/delete/rename files from the partition volume, so I wonder is there any more software (usually is bootable disc) that can allow me to do more things on every partition like hide/unhide partition, delete etc.

My main purpose is to see my recovery partition drive files so I wonder can any software do that.

Please advise :smile:

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Why not jsut unhide the partition? Wouldnt that do it? I think only Acronis will do this while hidden as i have not seen anything else that would.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Download a copy of an Ubuntu Live CD and boot from it. It should let you edit whatever files you need.

abcat

Thanks both for replying, I wonder Ubuntu got any software to unhide the recovery partition or maybe Ubuntu itself can access to hidden partition?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
The Ubuntu Live CD comes with GParted (System->Adminitration->Partition Editor)

abcat

Thanks for the reply again, I have the ubuntu version 5.10, the GParted seems to be outdated that does not allow me to manage flags.

You mean from GParted, I can access to the partition folders and files? I can't seems to find the features for that.

I am curious to know that is it no software that can run on Windows Mode to modify partition properties or folder/files but must run on "live" CD?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
You should be using Ubuntu 7.10 or 8.04.

There is software for Windows, but its not free - if that's what you want I would recommend Acronis Disk Director 10.

abcat

Oh ok, I try download the latest version and it works and even hidden partition I also can access the file :smile:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
That's great, glad it works.