Access to Linux install

Crzyrev

Greetings,
I am running Windows Vista Ultimate on my C:\drive and have installed Linux on an external hard drive. I am using EasyBCD 1.7x and trying to boot the external drive to access the Linux install. What do you suggest? Thanks for your help. RJ

Hello
I attempted the "Step-by-Step" Ubuntu, Vista Dual-Boot Pictorial. Actually, I did not see any of the pictures in the steps as shown in the procedure. It did not work. Help! --RJ

Well is your system setup to boot from a USB Drive? Can it boot from aUSB Drive? Were you able to boot into Unbuntu after you installed it?

Yes, I think so. Yes, I went into the BIOS to set that up. No, I have not been able to boot into Unbuntu after installed. I arrive at a dos prompt--GRUB>
Does this help? RAJ

It sounds as if GRUB isnt recognizing the fact you installed Ubuntu. As GRUB and NeoGRUB both are what is used to boot into Ubuntu. So you have to make sure that you follow the steps in the wiki where you add a entry for Ubuntu and check the Box GRUB was not installed. See if that solves it.

I dont think it will. I think the entries are not correct for the boot to work correctly. If you couldnt use GRUB right away to boot to Ubuntu then NeoGRUB wont resolve this either. You have to figure out why not even GRUB loaded.

Hello
I attempted the "Step-by-Step" Ubuntu, Vista Dual-Boot Pictorial. Actually, I did not see any of the pictures in the steps as shown in the procedure. It did not work. Help! --RJ

not even the first part about installing Ubuntu? Where you not able to boot off the CD drive?

I don't know what to attempt next. I have attempted the install over and over and over and over. Someone told me this Linux was supposed to be simple. "You'll never go back to Windows again!" Well at least you can use Windows with all its flaws, insecurities and control issues. I don't know ????

Well from the sound of it your Linux CD is bad. Have you done a MD5 sum check on it? Make sure that it was all there?

I have done a media check. I just did another install, and the strangest thing is that it booted right into Fedora 8. I have this nagging inclination that I formatted my C:\ drive and lost all the data. How can I be sure? How do I check this out? Thanks, RJ

Well your easiest way would be to try and boot into Windows. If you cant then something is wrong. I dont know if Fedora has NTFS support.

Back