Attempting to dualboot Win7/Snow Leo

Perfect! :smile:
There be your problem...
Copy over the contents of your D:/NST/ into the /NST folder of your System Reserved partition, and I believe it will work now (though you may have to change the drive of the OS X entry to the System Reserved partition if its still pointing at D).

Cheers.

Jake

Trying it an will report back...
Thanks!

Addendum:

Didn't work. It came to a Windows Loader and said the file AutoNeoGrub0.mbr was corrupt and I should run Windows startup repair.
Win7 still booted fine, although it was called Vista in the boot menu.

Does that tell you anything? I feel like the Vista name and those other files are from using 1.6 on the XP install, and not the version 2.0 stuff I've been doing. But it crashed in a different way at least, so maybe that's a clue. In fact, it crashed the same way it used to when I tried it from XP...

FP

Last edited:
WHAT?? How did W7's entry change names by itself?
You didn't adjust anything else, did you?

Addendum:

Can you look in Disk Management, and please tell which partition is marked as both "system" and "active"? Is it the System Reserved partition or the XP partition?

Addendum:

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /NST/nst_mac.efi
kernel /NST/nst_mac.efi
boot
Ok, the above code means "search all partitions for /NST/nst_mac.efi, and mount the resulting partition and use it for the following commands". So that means if there's two /NST/nst_mac.efi - s on your system, then it will find and try to load perhaps the wrong one (probably the one on your XP partition, which could explain the error).
Try deleting the whole /NST folder on the XP partition, then try again.

Last edited:
Already tried renaming the NST folder on the XP drive to take it out of the equation. I'll delete it now.
Here's the breakdown of my discs. I'll include more information than you asked for because it may be relevant...

Disk 0 - Data E: Healthy, Logical Drive
Disc 1 - 2 Partition:
1st - System Reserved J: 100MB NTFS. Healthy, System, Active, Primary Partition)
2nd - Vista 64 C: Healthy Boot, Page File, Crash Drump, Primary Partition)
Disc 2 - 2 Partitions:
1st - XP D: Healthy Active Primary Partiton
2nd - Data2 F: Healthy Primary Partition
Disk 3 - 3 Partitions (Not sure why... Snow Leopard did it..)
1st - 200 MB (No name is listed on this partition) Healthy, EFI System Partition
2nd - Hack H: HFSJ Healthy (Primary Partition) (This is the OSX partition, obviously)
3rd - 128 MB unallocated

So there it is. And no, I didn't change anything else..
What next?
-FP

Last edited:
Right. I forgot Vista was on your system before, then you upgraded it to W7 (or did you...?). Probably remnants of your Vista install still exist somewhere on your system (including another copy of BCD and bootmgr, which would explain the completely random Vista entry popping up in the mix). Sure you didn't change the boot sequence of the BIOS?

My advice is to ensure first of all that W7's HDD is first in the boot sequence. (Is that "Vista" partition really W7?)
Boot W7. Run EasybCD 2.0, delete the current OS X entry. Create a new one, checking to be sure that the files are written to the System Reserved partition, instead of XP, and copying them over if they're not, and make sure that the entry itself is also pointed at the System Reserved partition. Make sure to point it at the correct HDD in the EFI option (since you have multiple OS X partitions, that could be part of the problem too). Ignore the W7 Disk Management disk numbers (they're not the same as the BIOS). Count by the BIOS.

(Hopefully things are ok on the EFI partition side of things too. Don't know anything about the OS X bootloader though, so can't help you there, unfortunately)

Then try to boot into OS X again.

BTW, have you tried booting OS X by putting its own HDD first in the boot sequence of the BIOS? If that works, maybe you can try the MBR option in EasybCD's Mac tab.

Last edited:
Ya I can boot directly to OSX by either choosing the OSX drive with F12 or by putting it first in the boot order. I think the reason it said Vista is because EasyBCD 1.6.whatever didn't recognize Win7 as 7, it said Vista, and when I used it at some point earlier, it made an entry called that. It's only the beta 2.0 version that says anything about 7. I've already tried erasing & re-adding entries every way I can possibly think of, with no real difference in results. The thing you said that interest me is that the Win7 drive numbers might not be correct and that the BIOS counts properly. It seems to me (in my n00bness) that if EasyBCD could find the OSX drive, it just need to start it rolling and it would boot (since I can boot from it without EasyBCD), so I'm going ot investigate that and see if maybe there's just a drive number issue. I feel like I already checked, and the OSX drive was 2 (counting from 0), but maybe I'll try moving it to be first or something...

Any other ideas you have area greatly appreciated...
=FP

Hi funkpump,

I know of these issues with OS X problems under the latest EasyBCD. We're working on a fix, but the OS X community is not being very communicative nor cooperative with us at the moment. It's total anarchy over there, and we're making very little headway establishing some sort of base compatibility that we can use to at least guarantee a minimal portion of OS X users to be able to one-click boot into OS X via EasyBCD.

So... I still can't get it to work, but had something interesting happen.. If, in the Grub4Dos thing that OSX loader option drops me to, I type "kernel /nst/nst_mac.efi", and the "boot", it gets me to that 2 second choose a disc thing I've read a bunch about on other posts.. I can then type 83 (The bios shows disk 3 being the OSX drive..), it says "loading darwin..." for a few seconds and then nothing happens..
That seems to be very very close to actually getting there, but I don't know what it's doing at that point.
Computer Guru- Is there a log or something that might help from that point forward? I know you said you're working on this problem, and I'm glad to hear it. If there's any information I can provide, or any tests I can do, please let me know. I believe in your software and would love to help!!

-FP

The thing you said that interest me is that the Win7 drive numbers might not be correct and that the BIOS counts properly. It seems to me (in my n00bness) that if EasyBCD could find the OSX drive, it just need to start it rolling and it would boot (since I can boot from it without EasyBCD), so I'm going ot investigate that and see if maybe there's just a drive number issue. I feel like I already checked, and the OSX drive was 2 (counting from 0), but maybe I'll try moving it to be first or something...

Any other ideas you have area greatly appreciated...
=FP
You checked this from the BIOS, or from Windows? You need to check it from the BIOS, and find out which HDD number the OS X drive is in the boot sequence. Count 0 with the first HDD, followed by 1 for the second, etc.

Anyway, you can always try doing numbers 1 and 3 (i.e. the second and fourth disks).

Ya I counted in the BIOS. Any other numbers give the 'Use Startup repair' message.. The one that seems to get to Darwin just hangs on a black screen..

Same problem here too, I have a fresh Windows 7 64bit and 10.6.2 Snow both on separate HD's. Win7 on hd 0 and Snow on hd 1. Tried the EFi option and picked the hd option. I get the GRUBDOS screen. The only difference from the other users setup is that I eliminated the system reserve HD. Win7 is on one HD without a partion using this trick below.

Trick to Remove 100.00 MB System Reserved Partition During Setup
  1. On the “Where do you want to install Windows?” partition screen of Windows 7 Setup, click on Drive options (advanced) to delete existing partitions and create a new partition.
  2. Click OK when Install Windows wizard prompts with the following message:
    To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, Windows might create additional partitions for system files.
  3. Two partitions should be created, a System Reserved System type partition (Disk 0 Partition 1) with 100.00 MB in size, and originally intended primary type partition (Disk 0 Partition 2) with allocated size now less 100MB.
  4. Delete the Primary Partition created.
  5. Click OK when prompted that “The partition might contain recovery files, system files, or important software from your computer manufacturer. If you delete this partition, any data stored on it will be lost.”
  6. All disk space inside the partition deleted will now become unallocated space. Now, highlight System Reserved Partition, and click Extend. Assign the available disk space to the partition, and click Apply.
  7. Click OK when promoted with “Extending a partition is not a reversible action. If you proceed, you will not be able to undo this action later.
  8. Highlight on the extended System Reserved Partition, and click Format.
  9. Click OK when prompted with “The partition might contain recovery files, system files, or important software from your computer manufacturer. If you format this partition, any data stored on it will be lost.”
  10. After finished formatting, the originally System Reserved Partition will now become normal system partition, ready to install Windows 7. Proceed to install Windows 7 as usual.
Tony

So... I still can't get it to work, but had something interesting happen.. If, in the Grub4Dos thing that OSX loader option drops me to, I type "kernel /nst/nst_mac.efi", and the "boot", it gets me to that 2 second choose a disc thing I've read a bunch about on other posts.. I can then type 83 (The bios shows disk 3 being the OSX drive..), it says "loading darwin..." for a few seconds and then nothing happens..
That seems to be very very close to actually getting there, but I don't know what it's doing at that point.
Computer Guru- Is there a log or something that might help from that point forward? I know you said you're working on this problem, and I'm glad to hear it. If there's any information I can provide, or any tests I can do, please let me know. I believe in your software and would love to help!!

-FP

That is the furthest I have gotten with this also. Still hoping for a way to get this working .

Back