August

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sorry for my relative lack of posts, I'd been without internet for all of last week thanks to stupid city workers that didn't see the fat cluster of pipes and wires labeled PHONE and ELECTRICITY when they turned their saws on.

Anyway:

August 6th

• 1945: Hiroshima!
    The United States dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan, that instantly killed an estimated 66,000 people in the first use of a nuclear weapon in warfare.
  • 1806: Fall of the Holy Roman Empire
    The Holy Roman Empire went out of existence as Emperor Francis I abdicated.
  • 1890: First Execution by Electric Chair
    Convicted murderer William Kemmler became the first person to be executed in the electric chair as he was put to death at Auburn State Prison in New York.
  • 1998: The Lewinsky Testimony
    Former White House intern Monica Lewinsky spent 8 1/2 hours testifying before a grand jury about her relationship with President Bill Clinton.

Groan..........sorry to hear of your "utility woes" - did they cut off everything? If these workers are anything like ours they speak no known language (illegal immigrants) and don't want to, or simply can't read. The latter seems to be the top qualification for those kind of jobs these days.
I hope they got a nice electric shock as a punishment.

Last edited:
Yep, everything.

I wasn't actually being wholly truthful above - we don't have any markers indicating that there are lines beneath; they never bothered putting them in the first place. So the fault is on the city workers that put them there in the first place and didn't care enough to map or mark their location in any way, so the second time they came around they hadn't a bleeping clue as to where it's safe to dig and where it isn't.

The first day they began working (installing a new sewer system), they blew the water main, took a week and a half to fix. Then they cut the power lines, fixed them the same day, then cut the phone cables and took a week to patch things up. Now they've resumed digging again - God only knows when/where lightning will strike next! :smile:

Well glad to have you back anyways Mahmoud. I know these woes. I have felt them many times myself...:wink:

ROTFL......DUH......sounds like they really don't know what they are doing anyway. We have a "call before you dig" city bylaw here, but noone ever bothers to do it, hence you aren't alone, it happens all over the world I would imagine.
Keeping fingers crossed that they don't find anything else to destroy.

Dont worry Peter. You are not the only one. We have that same "call before you dig" thing here. As i stated above i have come across this alot so apparently that isnt being used to well. :tongueout:

On this day: 12 August

t.gif
1949: The Fourth Geneva Convention is signed, providing for the protection of civilians in war.

t.gif
1981: IBM announces the introduction of the first personal computer, or PC.

(Happy Birthday everybody !!!!)

On this day: 12 August

t.gif
1949: The Fourth Geneva Convention is signed, providing for the protection of civilians in war.

t.gif
1981: IBM announces the introduction of the first personal computer, or PC.

(Happy Birthday everybody !!!!)

Oh My God! :grinning: That got me excited, I have to admit! Interesting! :grinning:

Happy birthday, indeed!

I think a thank you is in order to all those that worked at IBM.. *cough* Terry *cough* :grinning:

terry did you work at IBM when it was invented???

august 21st:
1900: Allied forces overun Peking's inner city
1915: Italy declares war on Turkey
1958: Hawaii becomes the 50th state of the United States of America
1963: Martial law imposed in South Vietnam
1984: Widespread arrests on the eve of South African coloured elections
1986: A report on the Chernobyl disaster blames 'human error'
1991: Attempted coup against Mikial Gorbachev stopped by Boris Yeltsin

Addendum:

God, I was 40 when it was invented...LOL
i seriously can't imagine how life would have been without computers or internet i would have croaked of boredom then again i still might

Last edited:
Look on the bright side - when you reach 101 you can tell people you're only 5 years old... in binary :grinning:
*groan*

I did take the lads out for a celebratory drink on my hexadecimal '21'st (any excuse !)

well going back to the 1color screen how is that useful you cant see anything either the whole screen is black or all of it is white
imagine with me how the FBI must have felt or better yet homeland security

Agent1: sir we have an incoming message from agent green berry here it comes 1 sec

Agent2: good I've been waiting for that it tells us exactly were the terrorists are going to strike

Tech Dude (Peter or Terry): oh no!!!!!! we received the message but can't read iqt because the font is the same color as the screen

Agent2: well just print it out hurry we don't have much time left quick, quick , quick quick......

Tech Dude: sorry Sir but the printer is yet to be invented

Agent 1: oh no were doomed doomed doomed doomed, doomed i tell you

5 years later:

News reporter: the catastrophic terrorist attack that took place nearly 5 years ago has officially been declared the cause of a technical error the Tech Dudes had nothing further to report except that all of this could have been avoided if the printer (whatever that is had been invented)

although printers were probably already available back then for the sake of the story we'll pretend they weren't

THE END

Back