Best Way to Dual-Boot Win7 and Ubuntu 9.10

:angry:...Just when I thought everything was fine this happens...Well I can access Ubuntu now but Win 7 fails to boot up...the screen where it says starting windows with the microsoft logo is the last thing that appears..it doesnt proceed..system repair doesnt help either..any suggestions??
Cheers,
KP

Sounds like its not a boot problem, but an HDD problem (possibly some bad sectors).
Try running

chkdsk /r X:

on the "active" partition of the boot HDD, where "X" is replaced with the correct drive letter. You can use the Command Prompt, booted from W7 DVD, to run the command.
If you don't know the drive letter, use

diskpart
select disk 0
list volume

to find out.

Tell me something Coolname007..Can an Antivirus be the culprit..Coz i remember i installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 in win 7..and then it wont boot..but the second time i tried to boot win 7..it did open...and coz of a system restore( i think) Kaspersky is not there anymore..But im able to boot up both ubuntu and win7...
Cheers,
KP

Ok, now im facing a bigger problem..In ubuntu my laptop's touchpad and keyboard do not work at all...i can use ubuntu only if i attach an external usb mouse and keyboard. Any suggestions??
Cheers,
KP​

Hi guys! I've a very big problem. I've done evey step of your beautiful tutorial but I get an error when I select Ubuntu in the boot menu. It says: Try hd(0,0) NTFS5 no ang0

What's the problem? I tried using GRUB2 and GRUB with legacy but it didn't work the same.
What do I do?

Thanks for helping,
William, Italy. :tongueout:

Ok, now im facing a bigger problem..In ubuntu my laptop's touchpad and keyboard do not work at all...i can use ubuntu only if i attach an external usb mouse and keyboard. Any suggestions??
Cheers,
KP​
Unfortunately no, since I've never had any problem like that myself, and don't have experience with this issue. Better get support for that problem at the Ubuntu forums.

However, if I had to make a guess, I'd say maybe the install lacks drivers for your hardware (which can probably be installed either through synaptic or apt-get through the command-line).

Addendum:

Hi guys! I've a very big problem. I've done evey step of your beautiful tutorial but I get an error when I select Ubuntu in the boot menu. It says: Try hd(0,0) NTFS5 no ang0

What's the problem? I tried using GRUB2 and GRUB with legacy but it didn't work the same.
What do I do?

Thanks for helping,
William, Italy. :tongueout:
What's the Ubuntu version? 9.10?
We'll need more details of your system in order to help with the problem (such as a screenshot of Disk Management, if you're multibooting with Vista or Win 7, and the contents of the /NST/menu.lst, and any other info you can provide).

Last edited:
What's the Ubuntu version? 9.10?
We'll need more details of your system in order to help with the problem (such as a screenshot of Disk Management, if you're multibooting with Vista or Win 7, and the contents of the /NST/menu.lst, and any other info you can provide).

Thanks. Ok here they are:
Ubuntu 9.10
Windows 7
Using EasyBCD 2.0 Beta
20 GB Linux Partition EXT3 Journaled (that's in the Windows disk, but obviously in another partition)

Oh.. I don't have a menu.lst file into the NST folder. Is it important? EasyBCD didn't create anything in that.

Thanks a lot!

Ok, thanks.
Could you also boot from the Ubuntu livecd, select "Try Ubuntu with No Change To My Computer", and from the Ubuntu desktop, open up Applications->Accessories->Terminal, and run this command:

sudo fdisk -l

(the last letter is a lowercase "L")
Then post the results.

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x6198f13a

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 13 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 13 16598 133218121 7 HPFS/NTFS
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda3 16783 19457 21486937+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 16599 16782 1477980 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 16599 16782 1477948+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdb: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x6198f139

/dev/sdb1 1 22112 177614608+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb2 22113 23389 10257502+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb3 23390 30402 56326441+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdc: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0xd0c5a3fb

/dev/sdc1 1 63741 511999551 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdc2 * 63742 121601 464760450 7 HPFS/NTFS

Ok. Now? :grinning:

EasybCD->Add/Remove Entries->NeoGrub tab->Install NeoGrub->Configure:

Add this code:
Code:
title Ubuntu 9.10
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
boot
Then save the file, reboot, and test the entry.

BTW, it looks like partitions 1 and 2 of the first HDD do not end on cylinder boundaries. You'll need to get that fixed, though I doubt that's part of the current problem of the grub2 option not working (could be though).

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!!! I'm going to try!

Addendum:

It doesn't work! :frowning:

It says again something like the first message I got: Try hd(0,0): NTFS5: no neogrub

Is there a way to edit EasyBCD's first screen (where you find boot informations)?

Last edited:
Ok, you will need to run

chkdsk /r X:

on both partition 1 and partition 2 on the HDD that contains the partition marked as "system" in your Windows Disk Management, where "X" is replaced with the correct drive letter of each partition. I believe the problem is partition 1 and partition 2 of sda (the first HDD) don't end on cylinder boundaries, and so the disk structure is messed up, and the Linux kernel can't be found by NeoGrub. I believe the chkdsk may resolve the issue.

Last edited:
Okk! I've done it for either partitions. :wink:
Now, when I select Ubuntu from the boot screen, i get a screen and in the header there's written "GRUBBOOT" or something like that. There I can insert commands like "grub > ...." but I can't start anything because it says that first I have to load the kernel.
So I wrote this command "grub > root" and it said me this "hd(0;0) partition type and some numbers)".

How do we go on? :tongueout:

Very useful Post!
The program is really great, I damaged the boot of Windows 7 when installing Ubuntu, and EBCD has fixed it easy and fast, while the Windows 7 disk was unable to do it.
When I complete the installation I'll post a summary of the steps that I did. It can be useful for somebody.

I go to write something in the translation's thread.

Last edited:
Back