Bitlocker Redux

>.<
ouch?

Why does MS have to make all this just so darn difficult?

And, of course, with Windows Vista there is no such thing as a "repair install" it's just format and start from scratch!

Microsoft does not seem to know that this error even exists: http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&spid=11732&query=256&adv=&mode=r&cat=False

From the text of the error, it seems that the permissions on the "catalog" are denying access. Google is of no help when trying to figure out what the hell the catalog even is or where it exists - but I'd say go to the Windows directory and System Volume Information and check the permissions on those....

It's 1 AM now, have an early day (0600) tomorrow, so best get to bed.... Good luck!

Thanks for all the help. I started to format and reinstall....and of course forgot that Vista will NOT install when an ATI Radeon X1650 card is installed because the DVD has the driver that ATI actually recalled from release because every x1650 user world-wide blue-screened (7.3 or 7.4 - can't quite remember now). Here we go again - same old, same old. I have to physically swap the blasted video card just so that stupid, supposedly state of the art, Microsoft installer will actually work.
So I'll go Vista-less overnight, because I really am too tired to even think about messing around in the PC's innards.

Last edited:
It was the driver that was the problem not the card. Actually it wasn't recalled, rather hurriedly patched after a huge outcry.

Any I will probably be looking for a better card soon. Got to go as I'm about to start installing Vista.

That seems to have done the trick - 4m 30s for me to receive it. Just finished installing Vista and all the various software/hardware...all done except for M$ Works.
Guess what? Vista installer discovered that, despite the schemozzle I went through trying to install it and thought it didn't...etc, I actually did have Neogrub Bootloader installed. I've uninstalled it, I hate to say.

Vista's all finished, except I now have to install Nero 7's help files....typical of Nero, they aren't included with the software. So I now have to cut, copy and paste each one into the appropriate area in ProgramFiles...LOL

...and not a red mark in sight in the Event Viewer, thank God.

Well I'm not thanking anyone. My Vista doesn't like Microshaft's own Vista Lifecam drivers and is throwing up red warnings on that saying I need to update the driver....LOL There is no update available. It just had to be a Microsoft issue didn't it?

Yeah, that has to be Microsoft... umm... oh yeah... Linux! Linux! Linux! lol this isn't a spam... :brows:

Back