Can EasyBCD recover a lost dual boot MENU?

I recently had to ghost back my WinXP to my C drive and doing so I lost my dual boot option for Win7 because the ghost was created before I had win7 installed. I see an option in EasyBCD 2 under MBR Configuration Options to "Install Windows7/Vista Bootloader" but Im afraid to do it without knowing this is the correct option to solve my problem. Is it as simple as clicking Write MBR and my dual boot menu will return?

Now I see thats for EXTERNAL media so I guess thats not what I need. Is there an option to do what I need?

Last edited:
Its for your internal media too. I was confused the way CG implemented it too when I first saw it. Should do the trick.

Its for your internal media too. I was confused the way CG implemented it too when I first saw it. Should do the trick.
Is there any chance this will screw up my ability to boot to my current XP that im using now or does Install the window7 bootloader just ADD that to my current boot options? Im pretty concerned about doing this and then not being able to boot up.

Last edited:
The top half (install BCD) is for external media, the bottom half (write MBR) is for your HDD. They're separate boxes you may not be able to see if your monitor contrast is low.
Reinstall the W7 boot, then add an XP entry, letting 2.0 auto-configure.
It will recreate your dual boot automatically.

Ok I went ahead and booted the Windows 7 dvd and first it said it could repair, but then it booted into Winxp. I tried 5 more times and each time it said it couldnt repair it automatically, but now my IReboot Menu in the taskbar shows windows7 recovered. When I click to boot to it all it does is bring me right back to WinXP.

Now when I open EasyBCD its totally different it says

There is one entry in the Windows Vista bootloader.

Default: Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
Timeout: 30 seconds.
Boot Drive: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

I clicked to add an entry to try and add my WinXP and it now looks like this

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Microsoft Windows XP
Timeout: 30 seconds.
Boot Drive: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
Device: boot
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Entry #2
Name: Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
BCD ID: {3ab64be2-54f1-11df-a299-f1b9aa3a99d0}

Does this look ok? Im still very worried to go ahead an reboot because im afraid if its not perfect I wont get back into either OS. Thanks

Last edited:
That's OK.
You can use EasyBCD 2.0 "edit boot menu" to alter the descriptions, the default (if you wish) and the timeout value, to however you'd like it to appear.

e

That's OK.
You can use EasyBCD 2.0 "edit boot menu" to alter the descriptions, the default (if you wish) and the timeout value, to however you'd like it to appear.

my concern is that if its not exactly right can this cause my system to possibly not boot to either OS? I dont know what needs editing does it look to be ok?

Adjusting the boot entry order or the default entry will not prevent you from booting, if that's what you're getting at. However, if you adjust the timeout, you should make sure its set to enough time (in seconds) to allow you to pick whatever entry you want.

Adjusting the boot entry order or the default entry will not prevent you from booting, if that's what you're getting at. However, if you adjust the timeout, you should make sure its set to enough time (in seconds) to allow you to pick whatever entry you want.
Still got no boot menu, it just boots straight into XP. I have a 30 sec timeout but didnt get any menu. What could be wrong?

Try to reset the BCD first w/ EasyBCD 2.0
reset it to WHAT? Im not sure exactly what it should say. It currently says this

Timeout: 10 seconds.
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows 7
BCD ID: {37587f54-556b-11df-9d8b-00161712a7cf}

No, I mean use the "Reset BCD" feature in 2.0

I don't have it in front of me (I'm on my MacBook and out of the country) but I think it's on the "Install/Repair BCD" section?

No, I mean use the "Reset BCD" feature in 2.0

I don't have it in front of me (I'm on my MacBook and out of the country) but I think it's on the "Install/Repair BCD" section?
I tried Reset BCD Configuration and BAD things happened. All the stuff I was downloading stopped. I guess cuz it wiped everything out. Then I went to Add Entries and I added XP and Win7 so it now looks like this.

Timeout: 10 seconds.
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows 7
BCD ID: {446c8112-5571-11df-9d8b-00161712a7cf}

I think thats what I had before and it didnt work to get my dual boot menu back.

Ok, but reboot and test it. It does more than just clear the BCD.

And the "it stops my downloads" is by design.

Ok, but reboot and test it. It does more than just clear the BCD.

And the "it stops my downloads" is by design.
I got it working by using Win7 repair disk and then booting into Win7 and adding XP entry in EasyBCD. Now I have my boot menu back. Thanks very much for your help and for anyone who replied.

Back