Can someone help me with black vista screen?

romad275

:xI need help with an HP Pavillion laptop that has stopped working due to a video driver problem. The display started to show the signs shortly after several errors indicating that vista had just recovered from a video driver problem. The system slowly started to deteriorate by showing small lines on the display and a fading effect that ultimately resulted in a system that will not boot. Even if were to boot, we cannot see the display in order to make selections. Before reaching the current final stage, I did make attempts to repair the system in safe mode and even rolled it back to a last known good config. I also attempted the F-8 and F-11 functions short of a complete restoration of the system to its original factory state.

Microsoft help was not able to help and asked if I could get my hands on a vista disc before we went any further. I advised them that I had also tried a Barts recovery disc and that did not work; I also used the following software applications with negative effects, Puppy Linux, UBCD4WIN and Vista Recovery Disc ISO from this site. Part of the problem is that even if the discs do work, I cannot see the display in order to make selections. Can anyone help with this issue.

Thanks

Hello romad275, welcome to NST

Go into safe mode and use system restore (Start Menu->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore) to take it back a few days before the problem started.

No such luck, I tried that early one but the problem persisted

Addendum:

we cannot get past the black screen

Last edited:
Ok, you're able to view the screen when you're in safe mode or when you boot from any of the discs you have tried? If not your video cards on its way out. If its integrated in the motherboard you can either get a new motherboard (new system) or an attachable internal one that you insert into a PCI slot.

Lets go back into safe mode. Uninstall any video driver software and its driver from device manager. You won't have a very nice looking screen after this but hopefully it'll start working again so you can get the newest driver and re-install.

Thanks for reply, but I have nothing to view but a black screen with a white horizontal band across the top of the screen that last approx 5 minutes then fades to black. Is there another way to view the output on another screen or tap into the laptop with my other wireless laptop to retrive the files?

Thanks for reply, but I have nothing to view but a black screen with a white horizontal band across the top of the screen that last approx 5 minutes then fades to black. Is there another way to view the output on another screen or tap into the laptop with my other wireless laptop to retrive the files?

No need for that extreme. :wink: You should be able to download and burn to a CD a bootable Linux distro (such as the Ubuntu LiveCD), acess the NTFS partition from within the Live session, and copy them somewhere safe (such as an external HDD).

Cheers,

Jake

Ok so we're dealing with a laptop... if you got a regular monitor and vga cable plug it into your laptop. Your laptop should have a VGA port. if Windows refuses to display any video after that, no need to get a linux live disc and burn it. Just boot with UBCD4Win since you already got that and rescue your files.

Back