Cannot Boot into XP After Cloning HD

pcostanza

I have a dual boot system with XP on 1 HD, and Vista on another. So, I got a bigger HD for XP and cloned it, removed the old drive, rebooted and can boot to Vista but not XP. XP was the default drive. When I try to boot to XP I'm told to do a repair install. The only other info it shows is file: \ntldr.
When in Vista and using EasyBCD, I am given a message that it could not detect the letter of the boot drive. When I choose C, it doesn't seem to work. Trying other drive choices tells me it can't find any info.
What's the best way to rebuild the bootloader so that I can boot to XP as well as Vista?

Thanks in advance for your help.

pcostanza

I managed to get the new XP drive to boot by running a repair then fixmbr and fixboot. Now both drives are seen in the BIOS and in XP.
How do I add the Vista boot info into EasyBCD from within XP?
When I go to Manage Entries, I only see Windows Resume Application and it won't let me add another OS. It shows the one entry as Windows Resume Application Drive C: and the bootloader path as \Windows\system32\winresume.exe.
Suggestions please.

Thanks

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Hi pcostanza, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies....

Did you try EasyBCD 1.61 beta?
Use the Diagnostics | Reset BCD Data feature to reset the Vista bootloader and hopefully getting it to do your bidding.

pcostanza

Got XP to boot but when I start EasyBCD I get a 'no valide entries found!' message. Going to the Configure Boot tab gives me an error and EasyBCD needs to close.
Any ideas?
Thanks again.

pcostanza

Don't go to configure boot, rather Diagonostics | Reset BCD Data
After I do that, I end up with this.
Before I did that, I did have 2 entries....an XP entry and a Vista entry though it booted directly into XP. Now after running the reset, I only have 1 entry and it's only Vista.
Things seem to be getting worse.
Just for the record, I've removed the cloned drive and I'm back to my original set up.
When I try to recreate the missing files, I get the 'directory is not empty' message.

Attachments

• easybcd.jpg
    easybcd.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 3

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Resetting the BCD data clears all entries, and creates a single Vista entry.

At this point, download 1.61 beta, and add an XP entry from there. :smile:

pcostanza

Resetting the BCD data clears all entries, and creates a single Vista entry.

At this point, download 1.61 beta, and add an XP entry from there. :smile:
I must be some kind of idiot. I downloaded the beta, used diagnostics to clear the entries and all that it showed was a Vista entry on my boot drive. That's not right, XP is on my C drive.
I rebooted and got an error telling me to repair the install. I booted the Vista DVD, ran repair and it still will only boot to XP though it says Vista in EasyBCD.
I may have to reformat and reinstall Vista. :x

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
OK, so after you use Diagnostics, add an XP entry pointing to C:\, delete the automatically-created Vista entry, and create a Vista entry pointing to the real drive.....