Cannot Boot into XP After Cloning HD

pcostanza

I have a dual boot system with XP on 1 HD, and Vista on another. So, I got a bigger HD for XP and cloned it, removed the old drive, rebooted and can boot to Vista but not XP. XP was the default drive. When I try to boot to XP I'm told to do a repair install. The only other info it shows is file: \ntldr.
When in Vista and using EasyBCD, I am given a message that it could not detect the letter of the boot drive. When I choose C, it doesn't seem to work. Trying other drive choices tells me it can't find any info.
What's the best way to rebuild the bootloader so that I can boot to XP as well as Vista?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I managed to get the new XP drive to boot by running a repair then fixmbr and fixboot. Now both drives are seen in the BIOS and in XP.
How do I add the Vista boot info into EasyBCD from within XP?
When I go to Manage Entries, I only see Windows Resume Application and it won't let me add another OS. It shows the one entry as Windows Resume Application Drive C: and the bootloader path as \Windows\system32\winresume.exe.
Suggestions please.

Thanks

Hi pcostanza, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies....

Did you try EasyBCD 1.61 beta?
Use the Diagnostics | Reset BCD Data feature to reset the Vista bootloader and hopefully getting it to do your bidding.

Got XP to boot but when I start EasyBCD I get a 'no valide entries found!' message. Going to the Configure Boot tab gives me an error and EasyBCD needs to close.
Any ideas?
Thanks again.

Don't go to configure boot, rather Diagonostics | Reset BCD Data
After I do that, I end up with this.
Before I did that, I did have 2 entries....an XP entry and a Vista entry though it booted directly into XP. Now after running the reset, I only have 1 entry and it's only Vista.
Things seem to be getting worse.
Just for the record, I've removed the cloned drive and I'm back to my original set up.
When I try to recreate the missing files, I get the 'directory is not empty' message.

Attachments

• easybcd.jpg
    easybcd.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 3
Resetting the BCD data clears all entries, and creates a single Vista entry.

At this point, download 1.61 beta, and add an XP entry from there. :smile:

Resetting the BCD data clears all entries, and creates a single Vista entry.

At this point, download 1.61 beta, and add an XP entry from there. :smile:
I must be some kind of idiot. I downloaded the beta, used diagnostics to clear the entries and all that it showed was a Vista entry on my boot drive. That's not right, XP is on my C drive.
I rebooted and got an error telling me to repair the install. I booted the Vista DVD, ran repair and it still will only boot to XP though it says Vista in EasyBCD.
I may have to reformat and reinstall Vista. :x

OK, so after you use Diagnostics, add an XP entry pointing to C:\, delete the automatically-created Vista entry, and create a Vista entry pointing to the real drive.....

Back