Cannot clone Vista-Installation on 2nd Partition

gswkaiser

I have got several partitions an my disk, and would like to clone my main Vista Ultimate installation on drive C: to drive D:.

What I did was:

Create Image of C: using Acronis true image.

Restore this image to D: using Acronis true image

After that I booted from the Vista DVD und used the Repair option, hoping it woul find the Vista on drive D:. It did not.

The I went on with easyBCD an manually entered a boot manager entry, defining Vista and D: as the Boot drive.

I can now select on boot the Vista on drive C: or D:, but it always boots the same system on drive C:.

What am I doing wrong????

Hi gsw, welcome to NST.
Please post a screenshot of your disk management, and paste the contents of the EasyBCD "display settings" output.

Hi I have a similar problem, but is related to moving xp to a new disk. I am bit confused as to what files need to be where and where they should be pointed. Thanks

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 2
  • disk.jpg
    disk.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 3
  • sys.jpg
    sys.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi Jamie, welcome to NST.
If you look at the sticky point 6, you'll see the rdisk value in your boot.ini is wrong.
You can either guess at 1 or 2 (keep both lines synchronized), or let EasyBCD 2.0 do the work for you. (see the bottom note)

Hi, Terry.

what exactly do you mean by this?

Hi,
He means pretty much what he said...:?? Just navigate to Start>right-click on "Computer">select "Manage">select Disk Management in the left pane of the "Computer Management" screen, and then create a screenshot of that screen by clicking on the "Prnt scrn" button on your computer, and pasting it into a MSPaint document, saving it as a "jpeg" image, and then posting it in your next post in this thread.

Was I clear enough? :brows:

-Coolname007

Or you can use the Vista "snipping tool" and save the output as .jpg.
Click "go advanced" below the quick reply dialog box and use the paperclip icon to attach the saved image to your post.

Hi gsw, welcome to NST.
Please post a screenshot of your disk management, and paste the contents of the EasyBCD "display settings" output.
Hi Terry,

I have restarted the configuration of my new computer from scratch, but the problem still pertains...

Here is the info you asked for:

Screen-Shot:

Display-Settings:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 5 seconds.
Default OS: Windows Vista (C:smile:

Entry #1

Name: Windows Vista (C:smile:
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: Windows Vista (D:smile:
BCD ID: {e769ed68-02f8-11de-9e89-00218509c7c8}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

=======================================================================

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale de-DE
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {3fa67fba-0197-11de-ab84-e7803c58f2b7}
displayorder {3fa67fba-0197-11de-ab84-e7803c58f2b7}
{e769ed68-02f8-11de-9e89-00218509c7c8}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 5

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {3fa67fba-0197-11de-ab84-e7803c58f2b7}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista (C:smile:
locale de-DE
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {3fa67fbb-0197-11de-ab84-e7803c58f2b7}
nx OptIn

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {e769ed68-02f8-11de-9e89-00218509c7c8}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista (D:smile:
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows

===========================================================================

Hope, you can figure out, why it does not work as I would like it to...

Is my basic assumption, that I should be able to clone drive C: to drive D: and boot the WINDOWS on drive D: correct after all?

When you select the second Vista from the BCD boot menu, are you sure it's going to the old one ?
If you've cloned it, the new one will still call itself C: (unless acronis has an option to change it ?)
When you boot it, go into disk management and check where the "startpartition" flag is ("boot" in English). That tells you which system is actually running.

Last edited:
Your two Vista entries should be pointing to separate partitions. If they're not, go into EasyBCD and change the drive letter for one of them to point one of the two entries to your other Vista partition.

Edit: your details look fine to me. If you're still having issues, restore the bcd store in EasyBCD and re-add your entries if you need to.

Last edited:
Your two Vista entries should be pointing to separate partitions. If they're not, go into EasyBCD and change the drive letter for one of them to point one of the two entries to your other Vista partition.

Justin, they *are* pointed at two separate partitions. :wink: Notice that the first entry is pointed at C, while the second entry, on the other hand, is pointed at D. No problem there.

-Coolname007

EDIT: Sorry...just noticed your edit.

Last edited:
When you select the second Vista from the BCD boot menu, are you sure it's going to the old one ?
If you've cloned it, the new one will still call itself C: (unless acronis has an option to change it ?)
When you boot it, go into disk management and check where the "startpartition" flag is ("boot" in English). That tells you which system is actually running.
I am pretty sure.....

Because after cloning the drive c: to d: I selected another desktop background for the active system on C:.

Booting now from D: I get to see this newly selected backgound.

Also, if you activate "cmd" it shows "C:" as the root device.

I am pretty sure.....

Because after cloning the drive c: to d: I selected another desktop background for the active system on C:.

Booting now from D: I get to see this newly selected backgound.

Which background do you get to when booting from D...and more importantly, how do you know it is D? :wink: Are you saying the "newly selected background" is the desktop background on C? :wtf:

-Coolname007

As I said, both systems have the same background.

<< how do you know it is D>>

What I did, I used easyBCD to manually create a second boot entry, indicating "Vista as the OS and "D:" as the boot drive. So i assume, that it is booting from D: if I select this entry.

The Vista "Repair" option did not recognize the cloned system on D:, so I used easyBCD to enter it manually

As I said, both systems have the same background.

<< how do you know it is D>>

What I did, I used easyBCD to manually create a second boot entry, indicating "Vista as the OS and "D:" as the boot drive. So i assume, that it is booting from D: if I select this entry.

The Vista "Repair" option did not recognize the cloned system on D:, so I used easyBCD to enter it manually

Ahh...see, that could be a problem. :wink: With the same background in both systems, it could become indeed very difficult to distinguish between the two Vistas...
And how exactly did you "indicate Vista as the OS, and D as the boot drive"?

-Coolname007

Back