can't install EasyBCD

magoo

Hello everybody,

I would like to share an experience I made with EasyBCD (problem & solution).

I just received a new Dell desktop with Windows7 and I was preparing it for a dual boot configuration (Windows 7 and Windows XP).
To this end, I strictly followed the instructions found here.
I created a new partition and installed Windows XP therein.
Next, in Windows XP I installed .Net 2.0 (required by EasyBCD).
Next I wanted to install EasyBCD 2.1 (under Windows XP), but always got the following error message:

error_message.JPG

Solution to the problem:
The new Dell PC contains newer hardware components of which WindowsXP is not aware (the Device Manager shows various yellow question marks).
It is necessary to first install the required drivers. These must be obtained from the PC manufacturer (in my case, from Dell's website). I downloaded them from another PC and transferred them to the new PC by means of a USB memory stick.
All this should (and can) be done without restarting the PC.
The next attempt to install EasyBCD (still without restarting the PC), went successfully!

good morning sir..

Same problem i have encountered when im installing EasyBCD..im using ACER aspire 5471g..

How can i configure my network cards?..

please help me sir..

Addendum:

good morning sir..

Same problem i have encountered when im installing EasyBCD..im using ACER aspire 5471g..

please help me sir..​

Last edited:
Hello Guru,

Was your networks card by any chance not yet configured?

The network (TCP/IP) settings were actually configured correctly, that's what made it more difficult to track down the error.
It was only when I accidentally opened the Device Manager that I noticed the problem with the drivers of the network card.

Also, I didn't expect that EasyBCD requires a network access in order to install.
I hope that this gets better explained in the future and that the error messages related to this issue become more self-explanatory in future versions of the installer.

Addendum:

Dear Kikomhae,

good morning sir..

please help me sir..

Your question seems more Windows-related, but keep in mind that this is an EasyBCD forum.
Can you connect to the internet from the Acer PC? If the answer is yes, then probably your problem is not the same that I had (see above).

If not, you should check your network settings (TCP/IP).
Also, if your PC is a very recent model, it might need some special driver software to let its network card operate correctly with Windows XP: open the Device Manager and check if you see one or more yellow question marks in the list. If yes, from another PC you should go to the Acer web site and download the necessary files, then transfer them to your Acer PC and install them. Make sure that you download the files that match to the operating system (Windows) version of your Acer PC. After doing this, the yellow question marks should disappear.

At this point, if everything looks OK, try again to install EasyBCD (without restarting the PC). Hopefully, now it works. Good luck.

Last edited:
Well, EasyBCD only requires an internet connection if .NET 2.0 isn't installed. I had no idea the error message was so undescriptive, that is definitely something we'll need to fix soon.

Thanks for sharing, magoo.

Back