CD-ROM Drive missing in XP, not in Vista

Hi,
I am new to this forum so please bear with me.

I have a F-S Amilo LI1818 notebook with Vista installed and wanted to create a dual boot with XP ( as I prefer this OS ).....

I have a Windows XP PRO disk, so I used NLite to create a new XP cd (to include SATA drivers, as no hard drives could be seen initially when I tried to load this).

I then used Easy BCD as a bootloader (with success), and I can now boot into Vista or XP on start up, which is great.......

However......... the big issue I do have now is that I cannot see my CD/DVD-Rom drive in XP (Optiarc DVD RW AD-7540A ATA Device), it has now totally disappeared within XP, and I can't therefore load any software, play games, or burn cd's, dvd's etc... in XP which is really frustrating.

Any ideas as to how I can try and retrieve my missing cd-rom drive in XP please, it is still there in Vista, and I have looked for some drivers for this, but having no joy whatsoever.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....

Kind Regards.....

Sean !!!

Hi Sean,

This is not a dual-boot related issue: once you get into XP the bootloader has nothing to do with anything.

Check the device manager and attempt to uninstall and reinstall the CD ROM drive from there.

Topic Moved.

Thanks for the quick reply, but where should I post this thread then please ?

Thats the whole point though, my CD/DVD-Rom drive is not found anywhere in Device Manager in XP !!

Kind Regards....

Sean !!

I've already moved the the thread to the correct location for you :smile:

Have you tried the "show hidden devices" option in the view menu in the device manager?

nLite is notorious for screwing things up - I wouldn't be surprised if that's the cause of your problem.

Hey OEM_guy, thanks for the link.

I don't know if that also applies for when the CD drive isn't at all listed in the Device Manager?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and the link....... I deleted the registry keys exactly like the article explained ( i.e deleting the "upper filters" in the registry ), now I can't boot up into XP at all !!!

It gets as far as the normal blue screen "Windows XP" loading screen and hangs......... so am I totally buggered now then ??

Any more thoughts please, as I have no XP at all now.....

Kind Regards.....

Sean !!!

Hi,

Sorry to be a pain, but it's not giving me the option to repair now, just to select a spare partition, and install from scratch !

Sean !!

Thanks for bearing with me on this, but it's not recognizing ANY XP instalaltion on PC at all since removing them registry enties ( wish I hadn't bothered doing that now ! )...... so I've had to partition some space, and re-install there...... couldn't think of anything else - sorry !

Sean !!!

Yeah if it dont recognize any install then you are kinda in deep water. Only thing left would be a install.

This time, burn the SATA drivers to a CD or copy them to a floppy, don't use nLite because I think it's what caused your original problem.

Back