Creating a Windows Vista Bootable CD with other files on it

Sorry - (it's getting late)
When I typed out the last dos command you told me to... I got an error that said incorrect function.... but now that I'm looking at it again I don't think I did the cd /d part (which would probably be important.)

Though I did boot from the recovery disk that came with the comp... so I'm guessing that file path would not be valid.
cd /d C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin
bootsect /nt60 /force C:

Addendum:

ok - I went back and found what I typed....

cd /d C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin bootsect /nt60 /force C:

Incorrect function

(That's what it said)

Last edited:
ok - I went back and found what I typed....

cd /d C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin bootsect /nt60 /force C:

Incorrect function

(That's what it said)
You typed the wrong thing: Those are two separate commands, and they're not supposed to be run together.
First type:

cd /d C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin

Press Enter. Then type:

bootsect /nt60 /force C:

and press Enter again.

But like I said before, you shouldn't even run those commands until check disk has completed successfully.

Last edited:
You must be a very patient person : ) Sometimes it is an ID10T problem.

OK - I did the first command line (twice to be sure)
Both times I received the following error

"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

I believe that's computer-ese for "Your Hard Drive is Hosed"

You must be a very patient person : ) Sometimes it is an ID10T problem.

OK - I did the first command line (twice to be sure)
Both times I received the following error

"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

I believe that's computer-ese for "Your Hard Drive is Hosed"
Do note my edit in my last post! :lol:
But like I said before, you shouldn't even run those commands until check disk has completed successfully.
Re-read that a couple of more times if you have to, in order to get it...:brows: LOL.

Jake

I've run the chkdsk about a dozen times - it doesn't advance before an "unspecific error occurred"

Is there value in running it over and over?

I've run the chkdsk about a dozen times - it doesn't advance before an "unspecific error occurred"

Is there value in running it over and over?
Yes, because the boot sector needs to be repaired. Try using different parameters for chkdsk (such as /f for example). You can use
Code:
chkdsk /?
to get a full list of the available parameters.

Last edited:
running chkdsk /f C:
Out to walk the dog - I'll update when I'm back.

Thanks again for your help.

I'm back - it's still running but it's 2:30 am here so I'm going to let it run. I'll update in the morning.

Last edited:
You may have more success with chkdsk /r. I have a brother that has a laptop I just got done spending the last 2 or 3 days trying to fix with chkdsk, which was only successful with running it a few times in order to fix everything. It would get stuck at 12% using /f, so I used /r a few times which is a bit more useful because it actually tries to fix the bad blocks rather than simply mark them off as bad. Though if the hard drive is truly failing on you its just better to go ahead and replace it.

Kairozamorro - I did chkdsk /r about a dozen or more times - always got the "unspecified error" message.
The same happened with the other parameters.

The disc is still under warranty. WD is shipping a new HD as we speak.

Thanks for all the help but I think this one was DOA.

Wallrat

Well it all seemed to go so well.... :??

Odd thing there.

As you recall.... Had a 320Gig drive go bad (I/O error - chkdsk didn't even work) Anyway, I bought a new 1 TB drive and reloaded Vista. Restored everything - all working fine.

The original drive is under warranty and WD ships me a new drive. I install it and reboot. Vista comes us. I go to manage the new disk. Initialize it with a MBR and format it using NTFS. I assigned it drive letter B. Everything works great.

I use the Vista back-up utility (OK, OK, I should try the one y'all recommended!) and successfully run a full back-up from the 1TB drive to the newly installed 320 Gig drive. Once that is done I want to change the schedule of the automated back-up so using system tools I go into "Back up status and configuration". I select "Change Back up settings" and it begins a search "looking for the back up device". It doesn't ever find it (I let this run for 12 hours).

I go to Start --> Computer. Vista opens the 'Computer window' and then a green task bar begins working across the top but it never finds any drives. :wtf: I literally let it run for more than 12 hours and it didn't find them - er, display them. The widow isn't 'hanging' - I've checked with the task master and it's responding fine - just not finding anything to display.

I don't have a clue. This is my only symptom. Vista is running fine - I'm using the system right now to log this question.

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit Operating sys. The rig is a Intel Core 2 CPU - 6600 @ 2.40 GHz with 2046 MB RAM. The new HD is 1 TB and only has about 300 gigs or so on it. Device manager does not show any problems. When I reinstalled Vista on the new drive I made sure I included all windows updates.

Using the Computer Management I can see the drive(s). The B drive (the replacement 320gig drive) has 97.7 gigs on it / 200 gigs free (that's the back-up I ran). I ran chkdsk on it and no problems were detected.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Addendum:

OK - so update.... (I thought I'd just put this as opposed to deleting the last message).

The assignment of the letter B confused the system. Who knew they still reserve slots for floppies? I figured that went away after they stopped putting floppy drives into new computers. :??

So I'm happy to report that everything is just fine. The back up works and I'm downloading the one y'all recommended. I think I can finally breath a sigh of relief. :grinning:

Thanks for all the help and support!

Wallrat

Last edited:
Back