Customizing the Windows welcome screen?

I'm actually trying to customize both Welcome screens, i.e. XP and Vista. So how 'bout if I specify the path to a .bmp file in Vista, and use the other method in XP? Or am I misunderstanding you, and it is Vista that it doesn't work in? :grinning:

-Coolname007

EDIT: I guess I'm a little confused...
Which method works for Vista, and which method works for XP? I'm doing the caption and text thing from XP, so I know that method for sure works on XP...but would it work on Vista too?

Last edited:
Backgrounds don't work for Vista, only for XP and only when classic login is used. The legal notice text may work for both of them.

Backgrounds don't work for Vista, only for XP and only when classic login is used. The legal notice text may work for both of them.

Alright...thanks for clarifying that. :smile: I think then I'm going to try using the legal notice thing on both XP and Vista. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Hmm...nice affect! :grinning: What appears at startup of XP now, right before the Welcome screen, is a dialog box with my own custom message, and a black background behind the dialog box. That's all well and good...but I was looking for more of a way to customize the Welcome screen itself, such as change the "Welcome" to a "Welcome insertnamehere" if you know what I mean. :wink:

Any ideas on how to customize the Welcome screen itself, instead of putting cute little dialog boxes to get through before arriving at the Welcome screen? :brows:

Thanks in advance!

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Nope. Unless you're one of MSes secret agents :smile: That is why I prefer the custom background because I can add in any text I want to be displayed without having to have a messagebox pop up each time. But as said before, this isn't possible for Vista.

I think I found what I was looking for...or something remarkably close to it. :smile:

How to Change the Windows XP Welcome Screen

That's to change your Welcome screen to a screen of your choosing using a special software called "LogonStudio" from Starduck.com. Plus there are various hacks out there for customizing the Welcome screen, including changing the text, changing the color, etc. etc. :wink: Just Google "changing the Windows welcome screen" or "changing the Windows welcome screen text", and there's loads of sites out there that describe how to do it. :smile:

-Coolname007

They have a version of LogonStudio for Vista too. Time to see if it works. :smile:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Just tried the Vista version, and it works like a dreaaam... :brows:
Great program. It also supports jpeg images.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Back