Daily Caffeine Intake May Protect Against Alzheimers

I've never tried Darjeeling tea, Terry... Ceylon I have though.

Kahai: I'm not going to lie to anyone (myself included) - the price isn't the reason I drink Pepsi. (The difference between a 500ml Pepsi and a 500ml Aquafina is 5 piasters or around a dime)

I might be wrong CG, but I think Earl grey is Darjeeling, flavoured with Bergamot Oil.

Interesting....

I'm really not sure.. From my reading, I'm lead to believe that Earl Grey is tea + Bergamot oil. But what the original tea is I think can change from one type to the other?

Earl Grey tea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Darjeeling tea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:xok5X6i3ELkJ:www.gongfu-tea.com/sunshop/index.php/action/item/id/79/prevaction/category/previd/1/prevstart/12/+earl+grey+darjeeling&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&client=firefox-a

I know that there's more than one type of Earl Grey for sure though. I used to drink Russian Earl Grey (Lipton) and now I'm drinking plain Earl Grey (also Lipton) and there's a difference (Russian is better, IMHO).

So perhaps the starting tea can be Darjeeling or something else depending on taste?
Between you and Peter I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this :grinning:

Darjeeling Tea seems like it would taste good, ill have to look for it sometime ^_^

(maybe guru we make a new thread for teas?)

I usually have about 3 to 5 coffees before noon and then usually it's Diet 7-Up and maybe a cuppa tea for me for the rest of the day, assuming no alcohol, which is rare......having alcohol I mean.

I don't know why I thought it was Darjeeling, since I have no evidence for it. I suppose it's because EG is traditionally drunk black rather than with milk (though not by me), and has a very light colour compared with traditional "English Breakfast" blends which tend to be heavy on the colour and tannin.
You'll see from the picture in your wiki link that DJ also has a delicate light colour, hence my assumption I guess. DJ characteristically has larger pieces of leaf (like tiny twigs when dry, opening to much larger pieces when brewed than other types) . What's the leaf size of your EG ?

Sorry, ignore that. Even in England now, more tea is sold in bags than loose (though not to me), and I guess that most of you (certainly in the US) only ever see tea as a bag on a string, where it tends to be chopped into dust for speed of brewing.

Well I'm afraid that I'm no help here as to what constitutes Earl Grey Tea. I have 5 teas that I regularly use here.
(Unpronounceable name) Russian Black tea, Dean & Deluca Silver Sprout Green Tea (China), Jacksons of Piccadilly Coronation Tea "Ceylon (Sri-Lanka) Blend", Twining's Earl Grey Tea (Label not very revealing) and last but not least good old everyday Tetley's Tea Bags.

Addendum:

Here are some snippets re: Earl Grey Tea gleaned from the web:
Earl Grey tea was named after Charles Grey, the second earl in his line. He was Prime Minister to King William IV in the early 19th century. The legend is that the Earl was given the recipe by a Chinese mandarin with whom he was friends, and whose life he had saved.
Earl Grey is a blend of Indian and Ceylon teas. The tea gets its unusual flavor from oil of BERGAMOT. Bergamot is a small acidic orange. The latest research indicates that the Bergamot orange is a cross between the sweet or pear lemon (Citrus Limetta) and the Seville or sour orange (Citrus Aurantium). The sour orange is native to southern Vietnam, hence the Chinese connection.
This tea has a light refreshing taste, and can be served hot with or without milk or sugar. It can be used to make iced tea.
and another one.....
Originally "Earl Grey Tea" was made with unsteamed China black tea, but is now usually made with Indian and Sri Lankan (Ceylon) black tea. Many sources state that Charles Grey, 2nd Earl (also Baron Grey and Viscount Howick) was given the recipe by a Chinese mandarin with whom he was friends (and/or whose life either he or another British diplomat saved).
The Bergamot Orange is the flavoring used in Earl Grey Tea. Oil of bergamot is extracted from the peel of the bergamot orange (Citrus bergamia or Citrus aurantium bergamia), a small pear shaped sour orange which is cultivated today mostly in southern Italy.
Latest genetic research indicates that the Bergamot orange is most likely a cross (natural??) between the sweet or pear lemon (Citrus limetta) and the Seville or sour orange (Citrus aurantium) [First International Citrus Biotechnology Symposium, August 2000)] The sour orange is native to southern Vietnam, hence the Chinese connection.
This is NOT Bergamot or Bergamot mint; they are different plants in the mint family, also called bee balm or Oswego tea.

Last edited:
:lol:, that reminds me of the woman who sued McDonald's because their coffee didn't say "DANGER: HOT BEVERAGE" on the label!

Terry, I used to drink it made from tea leaves (no bag), but then it just wasn't worth the hassle any more. Without the bags, I need to put the water in a kettle, boil it with tea, let it steep, remove, rinse & repeat. Now I just take a bag, add it to the mug, throw some sugar in there, and hold the mug under the "boiling water" spout on the water "cooler."

Anyway, point is I have no idea the size of the leafs - I only started drinking Earl Grey after switching to tea bags. The leaves (back in the day) were Ceylon, I believe.

Peter, thanks for those quotes. So I guess "Earl Grey" just means that its flavored with Bergamot, but the tea can be anything.. For instance, check out the "Earl Grey Collection" on the sidebar of this page: Russian Earl Grey Tea - TeaLeaves.com

since this hasturned into a tea thread here are 2 trivia questions no google allowed:
1- which nation first discovered tea
2- which is he most expensive type of tea
no links!!!!!

^ Ali i think India was the first, or China but im not so sure, thats what i have always thought.

i have no idea how much the most expensive tea is lol it doesnt just go on type either, location is important in pricing as well.

---

i cant drink energy drinks, they taste horrible to me, the only caffine i get is from Mountain Dew ^_^ or Dr Pepper. i hate the after taste to cola products, but DP is alright :wink:

Bison and Red Bull taste like crap... but when you haven't slept in 48 hours and have a presentation, you'll treat them the same way you treat medicine: doesn't matter what it takes like, only that it keeps you on your feet :grinning:

bison even tells you not to take more than one the most expensive tea is white tea and china was the first to discover it it accidentally fell into the emperors boiling water, coffee was discovered by some guys goats, imagine how pot was discovered??

Hey Peter, haven't seen you around for a while my friend!

Yes, I love to see news that tells me I'm eating or drinking something healthy for once. These days it seems that just about everything we eat causes cancer, Alzheimer's, or growing an extra pair of arms. :smile:

Thanks. I was in the UK for most of December and half of January and McAfee lurches from one crisis to another so that keeps me busy.

Yes isn't it nice? I'm sick of worrying about what I eat and drink.

Back