[Download] Vista Hide 'n Seek BETA

Peter, that warning message is referring to JavaScript errors (which, while I really do need to get around to fixing them, aren't associated with logins).

This is weird, I got notification of your reply above Mahmoud and I replied. Then I got the notification again and my reply was nowhere to be seen.
I got the same with McAfee forums too...I think I must be caught in a time loop or something.....very strange.....LOL

Yes, but at least you know what you are doing, which is more than I can say for the webmaster over there.

For instance, he says that he can't show forums closed to the general public as such yet open for us to post in without preventing us from posting also....ridiculous. So the public are forever complaining why they can see "New Thread" or "Post Reply" yet they can't because the forum is closed.
I told you about this ages ago....no change despite several assurances to the contrary.

Tried and failed to get HnS working

Hello,
So I managed to download the latest HnS alpha build. Opened up the attractive user interface and let the program change the boot settings. After restarting I couldnt get past the very initial boot process and the computer hung at cmain() ... line. I was kind of surprised that this happened (even though I know its only alpha build). Anyways, it was kind of hard to figure out how to fix the problem by using these forums - in case anyone else has this problem this is what I did:
boot the vista cd, repair, recovery console, vista cd drive, copy bootmgr c:
I wish there was a backup of the bootmgr file made on my c: by HnS - ie bootmgr.bkp

Also I have a question about HnS, does it completely hide OS partitions so that I wouldnt be able to swap files between them? Whats the best software available that protects restore points while not hiding partitions?

Thanks

You'll have to wait for CG for a resolution of the HnS install problem. (I had the original identical problem with build 45). Do you have a mixed IDE SATA environment like me ?
The answer regarding communication between the systems when you have a working HnS (I'm back on an earlier build) is that Vista can see and access everything, and XP can only see and access those drives you haven't hidden.
You only need to hide drives with Vista system restore points, and you only need system restore active on the Vista OS partition and any other partition on which you install software for Vista. (so that it can back out anything that might have caused problems)
Partitions on which you only keep data, (video, photos, documents, email etc) are not required to be monitored by system restore, so don't need to be hidden. These are freely available to swap data between the systems.

Hello jasper,

The HnS tool will only hide the Vista primary from XP while booting into the older version. The effect of that is to prevent XP from canceling out the Vista system restore points when booting into the previous version of Windows.

Are you trying this on a dual boot between two drives or simply two primary partitions on a single drive. On two drives with each seeing a different version make sure the XP boot files are at least copied to the root of the Vista primary. If you installed XP after Vista that then requires a boot with the Vista dvd into to restore the Vista mbr. XP can then be added in easily afterwards.

It's actually a known bug in vBulletin and it's irking me too :smile:

I've changed a couple of settings - can you please log out, clear your cookies, then log back in again and attempt to download HnS once more?

I did exactly that. I logged out, closed the browser, opened internet settings and cleared out cookies, started browser, opened this page, logged in (checked remember me), clicked the link, and got the same result as before.

Since it's a popup windows I tried allowing all popups, no joy.

Maybe an IE7 issue?

Addendum:

I just downloaded Firefox 2 and it worked without issue <shrug>.

Last edited:
Hi

Eventually got my laptop all sorted and have now got 3 Os's - Vista/XP/Ubuntu Hrdy Heron - installed. Now trying to setup the boot manager to manage these. From previous advice, have installed HnS. However, when I reboot, I don't get a boot menu. Am I supposed to install a bootmanager first - such as EasyBCD - and then install HnS?

Secondly, HnS sees XP and Vista, but does not see Ubuntu when done as above. Is this normal?

Sorry if I'm being thick, but the instructions with HnS do not seem to make this clear.

Thanks

Gareth

Hi

Eventually got my laptop all sorted and have now got 3 Os's - Vista/XP/Ubuntu Hrdy Heron - installed. Now trying to setup the boot manager to manage these. From previous advice, have installed HnS. However, when I reboot, I don't get a boot menu. Am I supposed to install a bootmanager first - such as EasyBCD - and then install HnS?

Secondly, HnS sees XP and Vista, but does not see Ubuntu when done as above. Is this normal?

Sorry if I'm being thick, but the instructions with HnS do not seem to make this clear.

Thanks

Gareth

Linux will see onto MS primaries while the Disk Managemenr tool in Windows will only see the Linux partitions present on a drive. That's one reason why a few of the live for cd distros make excelllent data recovery tools when you can't access an MS partition for some reason.

The HnS tool will autommatically download the latest EasyBCD you then use for seeing a distro added as a boot option. With Vista remaining as the default OS you can also raise the boot display time to see an XP/Vista dual boot using the Grub4Dos included there and later see the distro when the boot menu for EasyBCD comes up.

If you go back a page in the thread here you will see where Computer Guru explained how to see a distro added in by seeing Grub(or Lilo) manually installed to the root partition of the distro when I mentioned seeing Grub placed in the mbr on both drives here by the installer. The latest ubuntu 8.04 will be reinstalled on the XP drive here when I wipe that to see the latest build 47 go on.

Thanks PcEye

I think I understand what you are saying. It is that HnS shouls include EasyBCD. Therefore you are saying that I need a bootload manager to make HnS work. My problem was that Hns was not downloading EasyBCD and therefore HnS was not working properly.

Have installed Easy BCD. Booloader menu now comes up. I haven't installed HnS at this point, but checking that Bootloader works. It does for Vista and Ubuntu Hardy Heron - not checked for Windows XP as I don't want to load that until I'm sure everything is working ok!

Only issue so far is that in order to boot to Ubuntu I have to go to a 2nd menu. How do I cut out this stage and peompt Ubuntu to give me all the options at th first boot menu?

Thanks

Gareth

You can copy and paste Ubuntu's menu from /boot/grub/menu.lst into HnS' menu.lst at c:\menu.lst to make it one menu.

Once you download the HnS tool you unpack the files into a folder you create. The UI.exe file is simply right clicked on to choose the create shortcut for the desktop. I simply rename the shortcut to something like HnS 47 or the current build or Hide'n'Seek to identify that.

Most will use the EasyBCD program by leaving Vista as default and the time set to 0 seconds for the HnS tool and simply have the EasyBCD boot menu appear. I simply added XP into the HnS Grub4Dos boot menu and increased the display time. But as CG can explain the EasyBCD tool is still needed for seeing ubuntu added in as an option.

Thanks CG

I can't see the following /boot/grub/menu.lst into HnS' menu.lst or c:\menu.lst in my C:drive root directory. I have full permissions set so I can see all hiden irectories/files. I get an erroe message when I go to edit the HnS boot file that say it does not exit!

Gareh

Oops sorry CG.

However, I still can't see the c:\menu.lst.

I get an error message when I go to edit the HnS boot file from within HnS that says it does not exit!

Gareth

If you are trying to edit the file while loaded in Windows it won't work since you can't see onto Linux partitions. The root partition is the place that CG is referring to for the distro you are running. It won't be seen as C:\ anything but SD1b or HDa2 depending on how the drives are setup.

OK everybody! Finally an update.

Should fix cmain() errors, grinding sounds from the floppy drives, having to move boot.ini to drive C:\, and a bunch of other issues (I think yours too, Terry).

DOWNLOAD: The NeoSmart Forums

Will that mean a general beta release #1 as mentioned earlier with 57? I'll be giving 56 a good look here anyways since that will go right on. But several are now wanting to use EasyBCD 1.7.2 for dual booting XP and even Linux along with Vista and were informed about the possible availability of another tool for protecting Vista's points.

I didn't quite specify the HnS name quite yet until you have the first beta available. The one thing that was mentioned was on needing some feedbach as well as reporting any other problems that might come on some systems. But the floppy drive issue was the only item I've found here so far that needed immediate attention.

The mod worked like a charm and I'm sure 56 is getting you right where you want to be with a few exceptions at a later point.

Back