Dual Boot doesnt work after recovery all partition

Roeker

Hi !
I changed my harddisk in my notebook and restored all 3 partition succesfully with Acronis TI 11. My 3 partition are :
C: Vista (120GByte) Default OS
D: XP (20 GByte) Second OS
E: Data (80 GByte)
After recovery all partition,Vista is starting well and then I installed EasyBCD on my PC.
I added a second entry for XP and choosed D: as drive letter.
XP doesnt start when choosed !
I found the file ntldr (for XP) stored on my partition C: (???). So I changed the entry in EasyBCD for XP also to C:, but it doesnt work as well. I copied the file ntldr to D:, but also no good result...

Can you give me any hint or advice to get Vista and XP booting.....

Thanks for any help.
Michael

You also need the NTDETECT and boot.ini files on teh VIsta drive as well. This is all pointed out in our documentation. :wink:

Troubleshooting Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Hi
Thanks for the information.
I tried to fix the boot-problem of XP with the provided wiki, but still XP doesnt boot !
Meantime I got confused with all information....
Hope you can view the following information and give me any advice.

Following find related information to my configuration :
1 Harddisk in the system
Partition C: is a primary partition with Vista installed (no problem to boot).
Partition D: is a drive in an extended partition with XP installed
Drive E: is a CD/DVD
Partition F: is a primary partition with no OS installed (just data).

The files ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini are in the root of drive C:
The boot.ini has the following contents :

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

EasyBCD 1.7.2 shows following :
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=F:
default {6bcbf0d2-929d-11dd-a5d1-e0c08d9b748e}
displayorder {6bcbf0d2-929d-11dd-a5d1-e0c08d9b748e}
{6bcbf0d5-929d-11dd-a5d1-e0c08d9b748e}
timeout 30
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {6bcbf0d2-929d-11dd-a5d1-e0c08d9b748e}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {2eac95df-92b5-11dd-a4ef-806e6f6e6963}
Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {6bcbf0d5-929d-11dd-a5d1-e0c08d9b748e}
device partition=C:
path \NTLDR
description Windows XP

There is a directory "Boot" on C: and F: ???

Hope you can help me.

Michael

Is your F:\ partition the one marked "system" "active" in Disk Management ?
It appears to be so from your pasted EasyBCD display.
If so, that's where the MBR is looking to find all your boot files, and where you will need to copy the 3 XP files.
Alternatively, you need to set C:\ as "active" in Disk Management, but if all the Vista boot files are not present on the C:\ disk, you'll need to repair the Vista boot with C:\ "active" to put them there.
As long as you don't mind the boot being on a different partition to Vista, just do what you've already done with the XP files, only this time to the F:\ root, and change the XP entry in EasyCBD to F:\ too.

Is your F:\ partition the one marked "system" "active" in Disk Management ?
It appears to be so from your pasted EasyBCD display.
If so, that's where the MBR is looking to find all your boot files, and where you will need to copy the 3 XP files.
Alternatively, you need to set C:\ as "active" in Disk Management, but if all the Vista boot files are not present on the C:\ disk, you'll need to repair the Vista boot with C:\ "active" to put them there.
As long as you don't mind the boot being on a different partition to Vista, just do what you've already done with the XP files, only this time to the F:\ root, and change the XP entry in EasyCBD to F:\ too.

Hi Terry
You are right ! the F:\ partition on my system is marked as system and active.
So I transfered the 3 XP boot files to F:\ and now the booting of XP (and Vista as already before) is working !!! :grinning:

My default OS is Vista on C:\, so is it not better to set this partition as active and transfer the 3 XP boot files back to C:\ ???
For me it would be much more logical if EasyBCD is installed on C:\ and all relevant files for booting any OS also. My partition F:\ is only for data.
And why the MBR point to F:\ right now....

Thanks for your comment and also for your help !!!!

Michael

My Vista BCD got rebuilt on my XP partition after I'd Installed XP and had to repair the Vista boot.
If I were freakishly neat, I would probably move it back, but my inclination is more toward the "if it aint broke - don't fix it" school of thought, so that's the way it's stayed for the last year.
It won't do any harm having your system boot via the data partition. Whether you move it is entirely up to your own neatness compulsions.
(Monk would move it, wouldn't he CG !)

My Vista BCD got rebuilt on my XP partition after I'd Installed XP and had to repair the Vista boot.
If I were freakishly neat, I would probably move it back, but my inclination is more toward the "if it aint broke - don't fix it" school of thought, so that's the way it's stayed for the last year.
It won't do any harm having your system boot via the data partition. Whether you move it is entirely up to your own neatness compulsions.
(Monk would move it, wouldn't he CG !)

Well, I think you are right....
I better leave everything how it is now, because its working.

Thanks again for your help.
Michael

Back