Dual boot stalls at "Loading operating system"

toolman59

I fully installed Ubuntu 12.10 on a USB 3 memory stick which I can boot by using the F12 option at the initial boot stage.
I can also boot Windows 7 by the same method from drive C.
When I boot into Ubuntu the Linux boot screen gives several choices, one of which is the Windows boot loader. If select the Windows boot loader this will give me the EBCD boot menu which works as normal.
However if leave the system to boot as normal it just hangs at "Loading operating system".
I was previously booting two versions of Windows 7

Before I mess up completely and possibly lock myself out of both systems, what is the best course of action to get my boot screen back?

Thank you.

toolman59

Check your BIOS HDD boot sequence to make sure that the W7 HDD is first in the list.

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management from W7.
The sticky will help, if needed.
(When you say "the HDD is first", do you mean HDD is before CD in the device-type priority, or that the HDD (W7) is highest in the HDD sequence. They're not the same thing.)

Last edited:
Terry
Sorry about the delay in replying. I got myself in quite a pickle so decided to take the long way round, I did a fresh install of Win 7 on an empty partition. After a torrent of MS updates I installed Easybcd, I hopefully added a new entry of the previous Win 7 and to my surprise got my Boot menu back to normal.

Thank you very much for your help

toolman59

Back