Dual-boot vista and XP: corruption problem

So I have a problem. I tried to make a dual-boot with vista installed first and then installing xp. It kind of worked. I could load xp but not vista, which is supposed to happen in the beginning. I then got easyBCD for xp. I the had to leave, so my brother tried to make it work, but he didn't read the tutorial, so he didn't really know how to make it work. Now I don't think he really did anything; he just got the error message that couldn't load xp because the boot loader was missing. So I reinstalled xp and got the vista bootloader and added the entries blah blah blah. So I got the menu to start vista or xp but when I try to start vista, it starts till the loading bar but the I get a BSOD. now when I try to load xp, it has a missing bootloader. No matter what I try it doesn't work. Anyone have any idea what's the problem and how to fix it?

When you go to select Vista, press F8 and select disable automatic restart on system failure. Whats the error you're getting in the BSOD? Was Vista working prior to installing XP?

Yeah vista was working fine before I installed xp and the problem is that now the menu disapeared and only vista starts to load. I'm ok with that. I want to get on vista and just remove xp and do it right all over again. Is there a way to disable automatic restart without entering the menu?

Addendum:

Ok. I got to the menu again and the code that it gives me is:
STOP 0x0000007B

doesn't that mean some kind of driver hardware problem?

Last edited:
Did you change the SATA mode in the BIOS to get XP installed ?
That will prevent Vista from booting till you put it back.

In fact I did! I thought this might be the problem but I don't remember what I changed it from. There was IDE which I changed it to, RAID and some other one. Any ideas which one it might be?

Addendum:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh thank you so much it was RAID it now works and vista loads!!!

Addendum:

Just 1 more question: I had to change the SATA mode because windows xp couldn't find my Hard drive. Is there a way to make it see it? I read somewhere about using a program called nLite and integrating the drivers for the hard drive but I can't find the drivers anywhere. I did a google search. My friend did a google search but neither of us could find drivers. I even searched on the manufacturers web site(it's Seagate) but that didn't give me anything. How can I get those drivers? Or is there another way of making or work?

Last edited:
Thank you will try that :smile:

Addendum:

The only problem is that I don't have an Intel processor. Mine is AMD Phenom triple core processor. Now this question isn't directly related to my issue but if I install windows xp (from the original cd) will it be 32 or 64 bit? Does it depend on my processor or can I just get the one that I want? I read that my processor is 64 bit and in the system information for vista it says that I have a 64 bit based PC. Does that mean that xp will also be 64 bit? Thanks so much so far :smile:

Last edited:
It will be x86 regardless of your hardware, unless your installation CD says it's an x64 version.

I meant thank you :smile: stupid iPod keeps correcting things that are right...

also, I still don't know how to make xp see my hard drive. I can't use the tutorial that you gave me, Mahmoud, because I don't have an Intel CPU, and I tried integrating the drivers with nLite but that didn't work either, so the only choice I have so far is changing the settings every time in the BIOS. Any other ideas?

P.S. (Sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to figure this whole thing out) If I have only 1 HDD how come RAID was enabled as the default? and if i change the setting from RAID to AHCI my computer won't boot. I thought that RAID was meant for more than 1 HDD as in a way to connect them or keep them in sync?

Last edited:
Back