Dual Boot Vista&Leopard on dell Inspiron 1525

If you're talking about our recovery disc thats fine. You won't be able to use the graphical Windows setup for the task but you can use diskpart at command prompt like in Windows at "Repair my computer" -> Next -> "Command Prompt"

i have the recovery cd and i used the cmd to use diskpart and it seemed useless

is the cmd in recovery cd is the same as windows ( i guess they are the same of course)?

i know u guys are against illegal download , Any way i am gonna get a vista dvd soon

i will let u know and i hope it works without data loss

thnx dude

Yeah it is the same as it is in Windows, except by booting from the disc rather than the OS on the drive where this partition is located hopefully it'll be a little bit kinder to you. Thats the idea anyway.

Try just
Code:
shrink
anyway...
You may find it shrinks it to about 30 GBs less.
Try using
Code:
diskpart
list volume
select volume x
shrink
though, where "x" is replaced with the number value of your Vista volume. I'm not sure, but it may have a different affect when using "volume" instead of "part" with the shrink command. And, now that I think about it, that is what I used when I shrank my Vista partition with Diskpart.

EDIT: Yeah, I believe you need to use "volume" instead of "part". I changed my mind though...doing it the way you originally wanted should work now:
Code:
diskpart
list volume
select volume x
shrink desired=20480 minimum=15360
That should give you 20 GBs of free space to work with from your Vista partition.

Last edited:
Remember that 60Gb free isn't necessarily contiguous at the end of the partition. Some 3rd party defraggers have a "move everything to the front" option, but mostly defragging is exactly that, putting fragments of a split file back together. Your 60Gb is probably in 3 or 4 smaller chunks, not all at the end you're trying to shrink. That's why I advised moving out the largest files temporarily first. It increases the chance that you'll get a suitable sized chunk at the back-end of the partition.

i tried the way u mentioned about using volume instead of part and still the same
22625349.jpg

i am gonna try out the vista dvd , and shrink it

i actually don't know why it is so bad?

i did the defrag twice( may wasn't well-defraged) by Diskkeeper, and advanced vista optimizer

is it impossible

damn guys, vista is sucks

i think that the only way is to move all the data( which i can't right now)

Sooo any suggestion will be helpful

Ok, with volume 3 selected, do
Code:
shrink querymax
again, and post the output. It seems very strange Diskpart isn't finding enough free space...
Have you followed Terry's suggestion with moving the large files off of the partition before attempting to shrink it?

i am gonna move about 30 giga so i will have around 90 giga ( i think it is more than enough)

about ur shrink querymax , unfortunately it still the same nasty massage about you have only 26 mega to shrink

i am now defraging the partition for the thrid time with new pro called perfectdisk
then i am gonna try out the vista dvd to shrink if i failed, i am gonna move 30 giga

P.S i just finished watched a bunch of videos on youtube and i read alot in ubuntu forums

and they used gparted live cd?

it is easy and i am confused some people for it some aganist it

i hate vista

again vista sucks

If you decide to use Gparted, be very careful, as it is very easy to screw up an NTFS partition with the tool. We just had a user on here in this thread, who had some serious trouble with Vista booting after he slid over his Vista and recovery partitions, and resized his Vista partition with Gparted.

See these two threads for the same issue:

[SOLVED] Resized Vista partition, now cant boot Vista (Page 1) - GParted - GParted forum
[all variants] Resized Partitions with GParted - Cannot Boot Vista - Ubuntu Forums

Make sure to read up on the documentation for Gparted about resizing NTFS partitions first before you attempt it.

Last edited:
i am gonna try out to shrink the partition from the vista dvd( i don't get the point, what's diffrent than diskpart or diskmangement), if this dosen't work. i will move 30 giga to my toshiba satilite and try again

about gparted, i don't prefer it, i just find it too easy to use but if a problems will come up,why bother

i just askin about it cuz vast people used it and it goes well( youtube)

Addendum:

i did the defrag for the third time ( Perfect Disk Pro)

92460265.jpg

In the empty space, there are some excluded files and others sactterd every where

i might think those file are the problem

if i could to resize the partition( I hope so),do u think the files in the free space will effect any things

P.S After vast attempt that i did try, do u think guys that there are hope to get it done without formating the whole partition? or without losing vista ?

Last edited:
Sometimes its so stubborn you haft to repartition to get it the way you want it, but since you don't have the sapce to backup your stuff its kind of a problem. Money for most is tight at the moment, but for $100 or so you should be able to get an external usb drive that you could backup all your stuff to.

I'd give diskpart from the Vista DVD a go. Sorry we're discouraging against gparted its just that it would be all too easy to mess something up and you don't want to take a chance with losing your data do you?

Have you used the Vista defrag ?
I don't know why the one you're using is excluding those files. They're obviously why "shrink" is so limited.
I get email from O&O because I once installed one of their products, and their defragger has various modes including "put all the space at the end" I think.
You could use a trial version of their defragger and see if it does the trick for you.

Last edited:
Sometimes its so stubborn you haft to repartition to get it the way you want it, but since you don't have the sapce to backup your stuff its kind of a problem. Money for most is tight at the moment, but for $100 or so you should be able to get an external usb drive that you could backup all your stuff to.

I'd give diskpart from the Vista DVD a go. Sorry we're discouraging against gparted its just that it would be all too easy to mess something up and you don't want to take a chance with losing your data do you?

i am gonna try it out man( the method u told me about shrinking from the setup menu, and damn sure i am not gonna try gparted cuz it is soo risky at this moment

just wanna know, what is the diffrent from shrinking the partition while going through the setup process instead of using any 3rd part programs or even using diskpart

Addendum:

Have you used the Vista defrag ?
I don't know why the one you're using is excluding those files. They're obviously why "shrink" is so limited.
I get email from O&O because I once installed one of their products, and their defragger has various modes including "put all the space at the end" I think.
You could use a trial version of their defragger and see if it does the trick for you.

noob, i didin't use vista defrag cuz i don't simply like it

i have other pros as diskkeeper, advanced vista optimizer,perfect disk, and o&o...etc

but why o&o is better the other pros are full of option, i went through the option and i found nothin about clean the end of the partition

P.S : i think i am gonna buy an external hard drive(soon) to pack up my data
but at this moment i can move about 30 giga more

Last edited:
Here's an excerpt from the latest email from O&O. It might be a feature of the latest release. I don't know how old yours is.

The SPACE-Method
defst02.png

The SPACE method can be seen as an extension of the STEALTH method. The basic difference lies in the enlargement of the continuous available storage space. In other words, the user is literally able to store data in the front of the hard disk so that the space in the end is available for new data.

I haven't used it btw, I just noticed the spec. I have used the Vista defrag though, and it gained me far more space than I needed.

Last edited:
I downloaded the latest verision of o&o

here is a sneak peak ( about one and half more hour to finish)

68180683.jpg

P.S i did go through the option and i didn't find anything about free space in the end of the disk

dose the pro do that automatically while defraging?

Addendum:

i finished defraging for the third time and the 0&0 just make it worth.
41635364.jpg

terry, can u tell me how to arrange the free space as u mentioned before in o&o?

Last edited:
All I know is what was in the blurb they sent me.
Here's a copy.

This is not an endorsement of the product - I have absolutely no experience of it, only knowledge of this promotional material.

Many users ask us why they should decide to buy O&O Defrag 11 Pro when Windows has its own defragmentation program. The basic principle is the same with both the Windows defragmentation and O&O Defrag 11 Pro:
Fragments of single files are packed together so that the disk write-read heads decrease their overall movement while reading a file, reduce the revolution time and thus reduce the time taken to read-access files.

However, O&O Defrag 11 Pro offers you so much more: the integrated automated background monitor and defragmenter ensure an optimal level of computer performance. The O&O ActiveGuard Pro function keeps your computer defragmented without impacting your work or gaming experience, since only available resources are tapped into while defragmenting.

schmaler_balken.gif
To suit all needs: 5 defragmentation methods used by O&O Defrag 11 Pro

O&O Defrag 11 Pro combines five different defragmentation methods. There's a method to suit every user, depending on computer usage and your specific needs while defragmenting.

The STEALTH-Method
defst01.png

The STEALTH method is the fastest of all methods and is a great resource saver. Since the defragmentation is aimed at achieving the highest possible speed, it is not quite as thorough as some of the further methods below.

The SPACE-Method
defst02.png

The SPACE method can be seen as an extension of the STEALTH method. The basic difference lies in the enlargement of the continuous available storage space. In other words, the user is literally able to store data in the front of the hard disk so that the space in the end is available for new data.

The COMPLETE-Methods
defst03.png
defst04.png
defst05.png

The COMPLETE method not only defragments your data, it also re-organizes it. As a result, accessing data becomes much faster, since the data last used (COMPLETE/Access method) or changed (COMPLETE/Modified method) is saved in the area, where the write-read head of the hard disk can access them the quickest. In addition, you can also reorganize your data according to their names (COMPLETE/Name method).
The general advantage of the COMPLETE methods is the maximization of the performance while writing (COMPLETE/Access method) and reading (COMPLETE/Modified and COMPLETE/Name method).

schmaler_balken.gif
Further features of O&O Defrag 11 Pro

Not only do the unique defragmentation methods make O&O Defrag 11 Pro such a valuable tool for our customers: the many additional functions and ease of application elevate O&O Defrag 11 Pro above the mass of other products out there.

The background defragmentation in O&O Defrag 11 Pro prevents new fragmentation immediately at source. Newly added files and modified files are analyzed and defragmented, whenever they are not in use. In effect, your computer will now always perform at its very best.

Further feature of O&O Defrag 11 Pro:
  • Defragmentation of individual directories and files through the context menu
  • Wizard for regular and automated defragmentation
  • O&O OneButtonDefrag for simple setting up of automatic defragmentation
  • O&O ActivityGuardPro for the least system load
  • And much more...
mhtml:{91BF95AE-A449-4482-8321-BC93...on=DAF-AV3-N72&enablecoupon=false&x-nlal=116e

Last edited:
Click on the Settings button at the top of the program window, and in the dialog box that opens, see if the options to change defrag methods are there...

i found that if i chose the partition and ten right click, A menu will pop up and one of the option is ( Space)

this is obviously dealin with the free space ( Did nothin by the way)

after trying a lot, i think that perfect disk is more better than other

Any way i am gonna manage my toshiba satellite to free some space ( I will Move about 60 giga)

So i will have about 110 giga

if this doesn't work, i will simply give up until i buy new external hard drive ( USB)

I finally packed up my data

now i am havin an evil idea what about repartitioning the whole hard to have 20 giga or vista, another 20 or leopard, and the rest for data.. i am not gonna install media direct.

so what u folks think?

shall i do this or just resize my vista partition

P.S My dell shipped with 7 dvds as driver, media direct with repartition tool, vista recovery image,...etc

If you got the install disks for everything and your data is backed up I'd go for it. Re-installings going to be a pain but it'll be nice when you're finished and its about the only way I can see at this point it well be possible for you to get your partition layout the way you want it.

Back