Dual-Boot : Vista + OSX (x86)

ProEdwin

Thanks for coming in..

I got a couple of questions...
1.Do I need a OSX for PC CD? (I have)
2.Is there any requirments to dual-boot
3.How to install&set dual boot

Thanks..

Hi ProEdwin, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

I assume you're referring to a dual-boot by means of EasyBCD; EasyBCD requires Windows Vista's bootloader to work.

For legal reasons, NeoSmart Technologies does not engage in discussions involving how to install OS X on your PC.

What we do:
Once OS X is installed, we can help you get your Vista-OS X dual-boot working.

You do not need the OS X installation DVD to set the dual-boot up.

Hi ProEdwin, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

I assume you're referring to a dual-boot by means of EasyBCD; EasyBCD requires Windows Vista's bootloader to work.

For legal reasons, NeoSmart Technologies does not engage in discussions involving how to install OS X on your PC.

What we do:
Once OS X is installed, we can help you get your Vista-OS X dual-boot working.

You do not need the OS X installation DVD to set the dual-boot up.
I'm sorry that I'm a bit stupid.....

Windows Vista's bootloader? Where can i download it.. (I have EasyBCD downloaded)

So I must install OSX first??

Can I install Vista first?

Thanks

The Windows Vista bootloader is installed automatically with Windows Vista. You can't download it.

We recommend installing OS X first then Vista; but you can do it the other way around if you like.

Bad news.... Mission failed =(

It displayed like that while selected NST Mac OS X

Boot Chain Failed

*I dont need to install Mac OSX or Make another disk space (I only have C:/) first???

Last edited:
I'm sorry, we can't help you install OS X on a non-Apple machine.

Just Google around for os x windows vista setup guides...

Same Problem

I installed the OS, got it *started* working (Graphics card issues)... but next reboot it gave me the same error "Chain Boot Failed". Any ideas?

Sounds like the same bug to me.
Let me guess: during the first boot, your OS X DVD was in the drive; the second time it wasn't?

The OS X DVD (like the Vista DVD and the XP CD) has a bootloader on it that can be used to boot the OS in case your bootloader has been wiped out. If it's in the drive, really weird things can happen :smile:

btw, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies, Squirrel.

Thank you, long time murker but first time poster. Any idea how to 'fix' the bootloader per-say? I know your limited on responses 'cause of the whole Apple + normal computers = Illegal business, so I'll keep my questions ambiguous. But actually, the DVD wasnt in the drive on first boot (Or, I should say 'I believe' I had locked it up by then); I'm a bit confused where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

The recommended way is to use a non-corrupt/buggy installation medium; if you get what I'm saing.
Heh, heh...
Other than that, you can attempt to repair your bootloader by installing the Darwin bootloader (free, open source) from the instructions here: http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/darwin/6.0/install.x86.txt
Yeah Ill give that a shot, I currently am Tri-Booting and will be done once Quad-booting works on this laptop. I use it for compiling Java on different platforms and testing/such. There is probably a better way to do it, but this one keeps me busy :smile: Ill let you guys know how I eventually get the after-gray part to work

Heh, heh...

Yeah Ill give that a shot, I currently am Tri-Booting and will be done once Quad-booting works on this laptop. I use it for compiling Java on different platforms and testing/such. There is probably a better way to do it, but this one keeps me busy :smile: Ill let you guys know how I eventually get the after-gray part to work

I used to do the same (cross-platform software development - with .NET/Mono though) and had - believe it or not - an 11-OS multi-boot system at one point. Then I discovered virtualization and improved productivity 20-fold.

Seriously, check out VMware Workstation 6 if you haven't already. It can run on most operating systems as hosts, and the guest (virtualized) OS can be anything from DOS to Vista to Unix to Solaris to Ubuntu to OS X.

Anyway, good luck whatever you choose to do :smile:

I believe so, It sets it 'active' when you install it right? If not I'll have to try it in an hour. EEE lecture at the moment <_< >_>

Back