Dual boot Vista-Windows ME

zarcon

Hi all,

Just registered because I have a problem using EasyBCD difficult to resolve I think impossible so....

I have a pc desktop with 2 hd:

1 HD 160GB NTFS formatted: C:\ Main partition 48GB Vista 32 Ultimate primary with boot
same HD another partition of 100GB D:\ NTFS formatted with my programs for Vista 32

second HD: 250GB formatted FAT32 partition F:\ size 16GB same HD another partition H:\ formatted NTFS size 225 GB for my files as Archive

Tried to install Windows ME in the partition F:\ but I can't because when install ME from MS-DOS with a floppy disk Win ME need the main partition C:\ ONLY to copy files of boot but the drive is used by Vista and formatted NTFS not FAT 32.

Is possible have copied the ME files during installation (file system,boot,MBR etc) into partition F:\ only ?

Thanks and a Happy New Year!

DIsconnect the Vista disk while you install ME to the other HDD.
It doesn't matter what Vista calls the partition. That's just its internal (registry) map of the drives.
ME will map its own drives, and will call itself C ( and Vista D when you reconnect it)

Ok, but when the hd are both connected again sure no problems with registry keys so the programs are not recognized?
I remember I've done a similar operation in the past then are been troubles, after this operation I must format all drives to repair.When I disconnect the hd where is Vista then in that SATA socket I must connect the second HD or the second hd remain connected in it's own socket?

Thank you

Hi GURU,:smile:

Thank you for your reply to my post.

Need uninstall version 2.0 or only overwrite?

Thank you

Addendum:

how write the autoexec.bat file to install Windows ME?
When start the MS-DOS boot from floppy disk don't recognize my cdrom drive to load the drivers.
This is what happen when I run the cd of ME:
OEMCD001
NO VALID DEVICE DRIVERS SELECTED
Impossible find the installation Windows drivers
My dvd Optiarc DVD RW AD-7173S SCSI CdRom Device SCSI

Thank you

Last edited:
Each EasyBCD install will remove the previous one if you want it to.
The ME startup floppy should have "start with CD ROM support" option.
If your CD-ROM is SATA, you will not be able to use it from ME or install using it.

yes, is SATA! unfortunately, no problem to install (copying the files from cd to a temp folder) but if not work in ME this is a problem.
ME is to forget!

thanks

bye

Addendum:

i've found the new firmware from Optiarc that support also ME but not for OEM cdom

Last edited:
operations to install Windows ME please let me know if right or wrong:

unplug HD SATA containing Vista+Programs that has 2 partitions 1 for Vista 1 for Programs unplug....someone tell me don't remember who that don't unplug the hd may cause the partitions to be damaged during operations on hd 2.

Copy the installation files of ME from 2 cd inside 2 temp folder on hd 2 partition formatted FAT32 I have one of 16GB on it. Cdrom Sata seems don't work under MS-DOS to install using cdrom so I must......

Boot MSDOS using a floppy disk and access the hd partition FAT32 to start the install of ME launching the setup directly from the setup file inside the first temp folder.

Yes, if this operation goes fine and Win ME install ok, what problem may occur when I plug again the first hd containing Vista?

In Microsoft I've read that is possible I can boot only Win ME not Vista, the only possibility to launch Vista is to disconnect in the bios the second hd with Win Me then run Vista otherwise is not possible.

EasyBCD can bypass this problem of boot?

Thanks

Last edited:
Now:

HD 1 : SATA 160GB first partition (bootable) C:\ Vista 32 NTFS size 48GB
second partition ( D:\ My Vista programs) size 100GB

HD2: SATA 250GB first partition (bootable) FAT32 size 16 GB empty no OS Windows ME
second partition NTFS 212GB I want use as archive

How set EasyBCD to connect these 2 hard drives in my pc?

Now I unplug the second hd to use hd 1 with Vista , but setting EasyBCD properly surely I can connect both in my pc.

Please let me know

Thanks

It’s an old drive has been lying around for a while you might want to do a low-level format to make sure they’re no bad sectors or bad blocks on it. A easy way to do it is to install XP on that drive and make one partition encompassing the entire drive into a full format. Another way is to look at the label on the drive to see the manufacturers name and go to their website and download the ISO image for their diagnostic program and make a diagnostic boot disk.

Yet another way to do it is to go to start, run in Windows and type “CMD” to go to DOS and run the CHKDSK command manually.

Chkdsk c: /f /r

http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

It’s an old drive has been lying around for a while you might want to do a low-level format to make sure they’re no bad sectors or bad blocks on it. A easy way to do it is to install XP on that drive and make one partition encompassing the entire drive into a full format. Another way is to look at the label on the drive to see the manufacturers name and go to their website and download the ISO image for their diagnostic program and make a diagnostic boot disk.

Yet another way to do it is to go to start, run in Windows and type “CMD” to go to DOS and run the CHKDSK command manually.

Chkdsk c: /f /r

http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

Yes, Terry60 has right, i'm talking about an old cdrom drive, but you have right too :tongueout:oint:

it's better low level format the second hd where I want install Windows Me for sure. I have the floppy disk of Seagate to do this operation,then I partition again the hd.MS had released an info article about problems having Vista installed before then install an older Windows not NTFS but FAT32.They say to edit using "Bcdedit.exe" tool to create manually a Boot.ini for Windows ME.I will follow this article if EasyBCD perhaps use this system I avoid the work...........

Thanks

Done......found the old cdrom drive IDE installed in my pc and work perfectly I load Windows ME to install from cdrom all right but until ......the restart of ME to install and configure all the hardware connected.Here stops and don't restart in safe mode to continue the installation of ME.
As I read in the web sites search with Google seems that this ME of MS is a very difficult to configure and unstable OS. So I've think to abandon this OS. I try XP is surely better of ME and use NTFS not FAT32.

Bye

I used to use ME and didn't have any problems with its allegedly "buggy" reputation until I installed the very last WUD when they ceased support. At that moment it became riddled with problems, and I've always suspected that MS deliberately crippled it at its end-of-life update to force its users onto XP.
That was on my previous generation of hardware, pre SATA, pre SLI graphics, and ME won't support the later h/w, so I wouldn't even try to run it native now, only as a VM if I needed it. (I'll actually use it on the old h/w in my attic PC museum, alongside W95 on my original h/w)
W95 had the same problem. I upgraded my h/w and it couldn't support the AGP graphics, so I had to rush out and buy ME.

Hi,

Why install XP?

The problem is caused by AV (Avast) in my case that 99% crash the applications.
Tried to disable the AV but impossible also in Services with UAC turned off!
So I think......why not install another Vista OS in another partition but without AV to use for my applications 100% of free memory and without AV crashing.

I don't know if possible dual boot with this configuration I hope it is yes.

Please let me know

Thanks

Addendum:

not necessary.......another partition using Vista another (partition is a device) license to MS to pay! on the same pc.

Last edited:
Back