Dual boot Win 7 and XP

Bouberre

Hi

I just baught a new computer equiped with Win7 pro 64 bit (on c drive). I've made a partition and installed XP on it (drive D) but my problem is that I can't boot on XP.

I'm using EasyBCD 2.0, latest version. At startup, I get the menu and can boot fine on Win 7 but when trying with XP, it doesn't work.

Here is how I've configures Easy BCD:
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.
Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 20 seconds.
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\
Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {6c85b2b3-4da8-11df-a62f-9e61b7469ebf}
Device: boot
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
description Windows Boot Manager
locale fr-FR
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {6c85b2a9-4da8-11df-a62f-9e61b7469ebf}
resumeobject {6c85b2a8-4da8-11df-a62f-9e61b7469ebf}
displayorder {6c85b2a9-4da8-11df-a62f-9e61b7469ebf}
{6c85b2b3-4da8-11df-a62f-9e61b7469ebf}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 20
displaybootmenu Yes
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {6c85b2a9-4da8-11df-a62f-9e61b7469ebf}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale fr-FR
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoverysequence {6c85b2aa-4da8-11df-a62f-9e61b7469ebf}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {6c85b2a8-4da8-11df-a62f-9e61b7469ebf}
nx OptIn
Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {6c85b2b3-4da8-11df-a62f-9e61b7469ebf}
device boot
path \NTLDR
description Microsoft Windows XP

I've also tried asigning a drive leter to my XP but it didn't do much good:
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.
Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 20 seconds.
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\
Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {6c85b2b4-4da8-11df-a62f-9e61b7469ebf}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

I'de very much welcome any help.

Thanks

If you installed XP after W7, it should have regressed the boot to NTLDR making only XP bootable and requiring that the W7 boot be repaired.
Did this happen ?
Did you ever successfuly boot XP after the install ?
What are the symptoms of the failure to boot from the W7 menu ?
Have you read the sticky thread ?
Did you let Easy2 auto-configure ?
Please post a Disk Management screenshot. (details in the sticky)

Hi Terry

Thanks for the reply

Q: If you installed XP after W7, it should have regressed the boot to NTLDR making only XP
bootable and requiring that the W7 boot be repaired.
Did this happen ?
R: No it did not. I installed XP after W7 but used Acronis Home and installed with a backup image. It was not a tipical install.

Q: Did you ever successfuly boot XP after the install ?
R: No, never had a chance.

Q:What are the symptoms of the failure to boot from the W7 menu ?
R: I actualy don't have problem with W7. The problem is at startup, I can only boot from W7. If I happen to select XP, my computer keeps on booting. I've tried to press F8 at XP startup but nothing happened.

Q: Have you read the sticky thread ?
R: Yes id did. Although I'm not a noob, I got somewhat lost in some of the steps.

Q: Did you let Easy2 auto-configure ?
R: Yes I did.

I've attached it to this post (in French).

Thanks again.

JP

Attachments

• Sans titre.jpg
    Sans titre.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 7
If this is an image of XP from a different PC, then it's unlikely to work on the new PC. It will find its internal map of where it thinks it resides conflicts with its actual location. It will also probably lack important drivers if the new hardware is more advanced. Specifically, if it lacks SATA drivers because it came from an IDE PC, it can't even begin to boot.
You'll need to use your XP installation disc to "repair install" the cloned image, which will then need the W7 "startup repair" I previously mentioned.
If the image is from a PC that came with XP pre-installed, then it will have an OEM key which irrevocably links it to the old hardware, and even if you repair it, MS will decline to validate it when you try activation.
Incidentally, your French DM, differs from the translation we have here. Is that one begian/swiss/canadian french ?
Perhaps you could add yours.

Hi Terry

Thanks for the reply

Q: If you installed XP after W7, it should have regressed the boot to NTLDR making only XP
bootable and requiring that the W7 boot be repaired.
Did this happen ?
R: No it did not. I installed XP after W7 but used Acronis Home and installed with a backup image. It was not a tipical install.

Q: Did you ever successfuly boot XP after the install ?
R: No, never had a chance.

Q:What are the symptoms of the failure to boot from the W7 menu ?
R: I actualy don't have problem with W7. The problem is at startup, I can only boot from W7. If I happen to select XP, my computer keeps on booting. I've tried to press F8 at XP startup but nothing happened.

Q: Have you read the sticky thread ?
R: Yes id did. Although I'm not a noob, I got somewhat lost in some of the steps.

Q: Did you let Easy2 auto-configure ?
R: Yes I did.

I've attached it to this post (in French).

Thanks again.

JP

I faced the exact same issue you have described when I tried to set it up with the older version of EasyBCD. After installing Windows 7 on a
new disk I plugged in the old disk and restored Acronis backup image of XP Pro. Tried to boot to XP but it kept on rebooting like you mention.

This is how it got solved:
I deleted old entry of XP. I removed EasyBCD v.1.7.2 and installed the Beta 2.0 version.

- First I created a new entry for XP in Beta 2.0 version,
- in Advanced I selected XP , for Drive I choose BOOT (not the drive letter where XP is installed), clicked on Save.
- Next in Bootloader/MBR config options I selected Install Windows Vista/7 bootloader and clicked on write
- After restarting I could select XP as boot option and successfully booted into XP :??

Genie, going back to the OP, you'll see Bouberre's already using EasyBCD 2.0 and "boot" is the device.
EasyBCD (even 1.7) knows where the XP entry should point. It only ever points to XP if XP is "system", or if the user has mistakenly overridden EasyBCD and set it manually.
(that's why the option is "greyed" in 1.7 add/remove, and missing completely in 2.0 add new entry)

Hey Terry

I've reinstalled XP on my second drive but now, it only boots on XP. I've read the FAQ thread but the following link which seems to contain the answer to all my problems isn't working. Do you have any idea when it should be up and running again?

As to your previous question, my system is in Canadian French. My French DM indeed differs from the translation you have here and it'll be my pleasure to add the translation for futur users.

Cheers

Sorry, CG is the sole admin for the site, so it'll have to wait for him to reappear before the wiki can be fixed.
I assume it has something to do with the fact that he just upgraded the forum software release.

Meanwhile, boot your W7 DVD, select "repair your computer" (bottom left), then "startup repair"
Do the whole of the above line, three times and you should be back with W7 in control.
Then Add an XP entry with EasyBCD2 and let it auto-configure.

Back