Dual boot Win7 and Linux on Lenovo T430 - doesn't show boot choice

Thanks Peter - I live in hope! In the meantime I have been casting around for advice and trying to learn a bit more about the mysteries of the boot process and the BCD. In doing so I have discovered a lot more about the configuration of this pesky Lenovo computer. So I can add further detail about the "symptoms" to what I said in my original post.

There is however no point in my simply posting up more descriptive detail or screenshots in this thread at present, because I'm not sure what is relevant and what isn't. I need someone with expertise to look at the existing evidence, and to troubleshoot and to ask the right diagnostic questions. I'm poised to give whatever information and feedback I can.

Update for Peter and anyone else who was - or might be - following this thread.

After many weeks of hunting around the internet, browsing forums, and seeking advice (or waiting for it!) the problem is solved.

In the last few weeks I have been exploring areas of my own computer that I had never ventured into before, and learning about, and trying to use, the bcdedit commands with some advice from others. It was difficult mainly because I didn't know which settings or configurations in the booting process were wrong or needed changing. They didn't seem to make a difference. I continued to get unusual/unfamiliar screens during boot, and could not get the boot manager to work properly or show both the OSs (Win7 and Linux Mint) which were installed on the laptop.

I wanted to know exactly what was wrong before trying to put it right. And I didn't want to end up with an unbootable system (I don't have a Win7 installation disk).

But having failed to solve the problems with bcdedit commands, I finally decided simply to try the BCD Repair option within EasyBCD to reset the BCD. And what joy! It simply worked. The system now boots normally, the boot manager menu shows as it should, and I can boot into Win7 or Mint (or their advanced options) in the normal way.

I still don't know what was wrong with the boot process and why. But whatever it was, EasyBCD has fixed it. So I am happy again - and also very impressed with EasyBCD. So no need to chase the experts to go through all the symptoms with me: the patient has been cured.

Thanks anyway to those who did respond to my post. In the end the forum didn't deliver - but the program itself did. So all's well that ends well!

Yup - thanks Terry. Now that the BCD has been untangled/rebuilt, I have made a repair disc...... along with a complete (cloned) system image.

Back