Dual boot Windows xp and windows 7 on separate HDD

Hi Eveyone,
I got the same error also. The only thing i have windows xp install first on a separte HDD and Windows 7 install on a separte HDD. I have use the latest version of easybcd and i get thir error when i click on windows xp. I have copy the booth files into windows 7 directory. The error i get is
"NTLDR missing error" Anyone know how can i bypass this or fix the problem. I did allow windows 7 to format the HDD.

I had the same problem so I simply copied the boot files to the XP and Win7 hard drives and I just hid the files.

Hope this helps.
Shedrock

I have include the image of my disk mgmt and the what is in the easybcd

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {adb1085d-9dc3-11de-875f-eaee435230fb}
resumeobject {adb1085c-9dc3-11de-875f-eaee435230fb}
displayorder {adb1085d-9dc3-11de-875f-eaee435230fb}
{adb10867-9dc3-11de-875f-eaee435230fb}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 30
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {adb1085d-9dc3-11de-875f-eaee435230fb}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoverysequence {adb1085e-9dc3-11de-875f-eaee435230fb}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {adb1085c-9dc3-11de-875f-eaee435230fb}
nx OptIn
Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {adb10867-9dc3-11de-875f-eaee435230fb}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
path \NTLDR
description Microsoft Windows xip

Attachments

• Diskmgmt.jpg
    Diskmgmt.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 19
  • easybcd.jpg
    easybcd.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 27
  • bcd.png
    bcd.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 18
Hi Dtech, welcome to NST.
The support for W7, for unlettered boot partitions and the ability to auto-configure XP only exists in EasyBCD 2.0 latest build.
Please stop using 1.7, which was written before any of that existed.
Delete the XP entry and add it again using 2.0.
Let it auto configure when it offers.

Hello everyone I am new here and looking for some help with dual booting with seperate hdd's. This is probaby as noob as it gets but I have read for days now trying to get some good easy info on dual booting win xp and win 7.

I previously had win xp installed on one hd and then installed win7 on a seperate hd thinking it might have automatically picked up xp. I downloaded easyBCD2.0 and tryed adding an entry to recognise the other os but don't really know what i am doing.
When my cpu starts up it goes to dualboot, then I try selecting the bottom option which I believe is xp and I get a windows failed message file \NTLDR status Oxc000000f. I heard that I might need to repair windows xp with the installation disk but i'm not sure what to do. I am on win7 now.

This is what BCD is displaying

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.
Default: XP
Timeout: 30 seconds.
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: XP
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {67b77772-b950-11de-a566-9b9145ffb50f}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Hi Cthrive,

Go into Disk Management, rt click the 100mb system partition and give it a drive letter.

Open Easybcd 2.0 and remove the existing XP entry.

Now add a new entry for XP and let Easybcd autoconfigure.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
I followed the steps above and after I easyBCD did its auto config I restarted the cpu and its just reversed the problem I had. Windows xp loads but now it won't recongnise win7.. I couldn't even use F12 to load my win7 partition. I'm not sure what im doing wrong. it says missing ntldr at boot.

I followed the steps above and after I easyBCD did its auto config I restarted the cpu and its just reversed the problem I had. Windows xp loads but now it won't recongnise win7.. I couldn't even use F12 to load my win7 partition. I'm not sure what im doing wrong. it says missing ntldr at boot.
Sounds like you must have deleted the Win 7 entry by mistake...:brows:
Install EasyBCD 2.0 in XP, run it, go to Add/Remove Entries, click the Windows tab, select "Longhorn" in the Type drop-down menu, select the drive letter of the partition Win 7 is on, and click Add Entry.

Reboot, and you'll have your dualboot.

Cheers. :smile:

Install NET 2.0 framework in XP before you can run EasyBCD.
When you were told to delete XP and re-add it, you did so in add/remove entries section I hope ?
You didn't "uninstall Vista bootloader (use to restore XP)" in the "Manage Bootloader" section ?

Last edited:
Hi there terry, I now have BCD up and running.
Yes I deleted the xp entry in add/remove section..
I don't believe I uninstalled the boot loader in the manage bootloader section.

Addendum:

This is my current display.

Default:
Timeout: 30 seconds.
Boot Drive: F:\
Entry #1
BCD ID: {67b77772-b950-11de-a566-9b9145ffb50f}
Drive: G:\
Entry #2
BCD ID: {67b77773-b950-11de-a566-9b9145ffb50f}
Drive: F:\

I don't know why both are named windows xp but I believe the top is win7 and bottom xp

Last edited:
I think you deleted the 7 entry and added another XP entry.

go to Add/Remove Entries, click the Windows tab, select "Longhorn" in the Type drop-down menu, select the drive letter of the partition Win 7 is on, and click Add Entry.

If you used add/remove, Jake and Simon are right. You deleted W7 by mistake.
Remember nothing happens to the BCD till you hit "save".
So make sure when you delete the First (wrong) XP and add a Vista /Longhorn entry, not to hit "save" until the list looks the way you want it.

Thanks you very much everyone for your help, they both are loading now. I was adding another xp entie, I didn't relize longhorn was the option to use for win7. Thanks you :smile:

In the future when I load Mac os x on a seperate hdd would I just goto easyBCD/add entry and select Mac osx to recognise or will Mac OSX recognise xp and win7 on install?

In the future when I load Mac os x on a seperate hdd would I just goto easyBCD/add entry and select Mac osx to recognise or will Mac OSX recognise xp and win7 on install?
Use EasyBCD to add the entry to Win 7's BCD for Mac OS X. I'm not sure, but I don't think OS X's bootloader can boot Windows (except with BootCamp, and I think that has to be configured manually).

If you've got Windows installed and install OS X an "Other" entry well appear allowing you to boot into Windows. The thing is its much easier to configure Windows bootloader thanks to EasyBCD that its best to leave the Windows bootloader as the primary loader used to boot the computer.

Back