Dual boot XP after Vista, XP crashes when loading

stillerz

Hi all,

I'm moving an XP partition from one laptop to another. I used Paragon backup to copy the partition over, then used EasyBCD to create the boot menu entries, copied the NT loader files, and wrote a boot.ini file.

Now, when I choose the Windows XP option, the system starts to load XP, I saw the windows logo the first time, then completely crashes and just reboots -- not a blue screen, just reboot. So, I tried starting XP in safe mode, but get the same result in safe mode too. In fact, I'm unable to even boot to the safe mode command prompt option successfully.

(The old laptop and new laptop are different models with different hardware, so I expected some level of driver troubleshooting, etc.)

My last attempt was to boot from the XP install CD and do a repair, but now when I boot from XP it crashes with a blue screen of death right on the step where it says "Starting Windows . .. " and tells me to run a chkdsk /f (which I've already done).

The exact error is:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0XF78D2524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Any thoughts? I'm still able to boot to Vista without a problem.

Thanks in advance.

XP is BSODing due to hardware & driver incompatibilities between the two laptops.

You need to perform a repair install of Windows XP..... I didn't understand if you did or not from your post..

Right, so I have tried booting from the XP install CD to do the repair install, but it is crashing with this STOP error right at the point where the drivers are loaded and it is saying it is starting windows.

I'm wondering what else I can do if I can't even do this repair install?

I don't know, but I'd assume there isn't much more you can do at this point other than to back up your data from the image (as files this time) and do a clean install.

Unless you dig into the reasons why setup is failing and address those, of course.

I think this is failing (both when I boot from the hard drive and when I boot from the install CD because of a missing driver for the hard drive). Its an HP, and I can't find any driver files there for my model, just a software update utility that you run after the OS is already loaded, which won't help me here...

Model is an HP TouchSmart tx2 . . .

Drive controller mode on the new laptop? Try changing it in the BIOS if available and than you should be able to boot.

Back