Dual Booting Win 7 // OSX

Berserk87

Following your wiki and another guide i installed windows 7 first, partitioned a fat32 patition, installed osx (format fat32 partition / make osx extended journaled partition).

then i put the win7 installer back in, repaired my windows 7 boot, and installed easyBCD.

Opened up easyBCD and added a mac osx entry to the boot loader, but when i choose "mac osx" from the boot menu i get a message saying "the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt."

Berserk87, welcome to NST.

I do not believe the OS X partition needs to be fat32. EasyBCD has been designed to chainload to Darwin which can handle HFS partitions from there on. Re-install OS X on the partition using the default file system and format with the installer, boot from a Vista DVD/recovery disc to get back the Vista bootloader using startup repair, and than try re-adding a new entry for OS X after first uninstalling NeoGrub in the NeoGrub tab under add/remove entries.

Following your wiki and another guide i installed windows 7 first, partitioned a fat32 patition, installed osx (format fat32 partition / make osx extended journaled partition).
Sounds like you formatted your Mac OS X partition wrong...:wink: I don't think FAT32 works for Apple OSes...you need to use the special filesystem type called "HFS+" without the quotes.

Hope this helps.

-Coolname007

EDIT: I see Justin beat me to the advice! :grinning:

Last edited:
you guys misunderstand what i said.

i have a 80Gb patition, i set windows 7 to use 65Gb, and osx gets the rest, but looking at the osx installer, it wouldnt show my freespace, so i went back to windows and made a 15Gb fat32 partition, then went back into my osx installer.

then i selected the fat32 partition i made and choose "erase and format as mac osx journaled extended"

Ok... maybe something to do with the partition structure between the different companies.

Go ahead and delete the current partition and make a new one but this time do not format it (just leave it RAW). Boot from the OS X disc and follow the directions from the last post. If you're still getting errors, go under the advanced settings in EasyBCD and try the option for fixing HFS partition errors and see if that fixes it.

whos jason? lol.

and his "fix" is from assuming i installed osx on fat32, which you cant do.

and for some reason osx wasnt showing unformated space.

whos jason? lol.
Justin, not Jason! :lol:
and his "fix" is from assuming i installed osx on fat32, which you cant do.
No, I was referring to his last post, where he said the following:
Go ahead and delete the current partition and make a new one but this time do not format it (just leave it RAW). Boot from the OS X disc and follow the directions from the last post. If you're still getting errors, go under the advanced settings in EasyBCD and try the option for fixing HFS partition errors and see if that fixes it.

he says reformat it and "leave it raw" ie. unformated, but that wont make a difference.

when i installed osx it was on a "raw" partition, it formatted the fat32 partition and made an osx partition.

the error im getting sounds like its not being pointed to the right osx boot loader.

So long as OS X installed OK, changing the partition type before installing is pointless.

Berserk, I sent you a PM.

Back