Dual-Booting Windows Vista and Windows ME

Gary

I just got a new computer with Vista and want to install my old hard drive with all my stuff already on it in a dual boot.

My old drive has ME on it with many database programs that will not work with vista and some of my hardware ( scanner, Mouse ) don't work with Vista either. Since my old drive works with everything I need, Can I add it and get it to work?

Will Win ME dual boot from a different drive? I need step by step instructions to do this since I'm not very computer literate.

Thanks, gary

Hi;Thanks for the reply. I did what you suggested and when the computer boots, it gives me the option of Vista and ME. ME fails to load. If I go to the boot manager and try ME from there it almost loads. The welcome screen loads momentarily then goes blank. It then goes to an error message and reverts back to a Vista load.
Any Suggestions.

Thanks, Gary

Yes, I'm not sure I did the Legacy boot ini. right. I put the extracted files on the C:\ drive which is where Vista is.

Yes , the boot drive is C:\ and only has vista on it with a partition with Vista Recovery stuff on D:\. ME is on G:\ drive.

Here is what the settings from BCD says.

There are 3 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader
Bootloader timeout is 30 seconds
Defalt OS: Windows vista

Entry #1
Name: Windows recovery enviroment
BCDID: {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader path; \windows\system 32\Boot\winload.exe
Windows directory: \WINDOWS

Entry #2
Name: Windows Vista
BCDID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader path: \windows\system 32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \WINDOWS

Entry #3
Name Windows ME
BCDID: {ntldr}
Drive: G:\
Bootloader path: \ntldr

hope this helps.
gary

:smile:

Go to the second screen in EasyBCD (believe it or not, I cannot remember its name!), and change the letter of the ME entry to C:\ as well.

I did that and got this message.
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
Windows Root> \system32\ntoskrnl.exe

How do I add this file if I can not get into Win ME and where to put it?

I think we're getting closer to making this thing work.

Thanks,Gary

It means:
1. Don't do what we were talking about at first.
2. Do what I say next.

So, yeah, do what I told you :smile:

did you add that text in the above post to the file and save?

If you did and it still happens, try typing that text into the dos prompt. If it gives you an error, post it here.

Back