Dualbooting working, but system feels unstable

Ubuntu install as 3rd system

Hi CG

Thanks for the message. I have followed the pictures and attempted to do what you have said in the past. It just seems that I can't quite get the selection right. I seem to get a bit confused when I get to the step of where to put the grub and keep ending with it overwriting the vista boot. Maybe I just need to take it very very slowly when I get to that step!

Thanks

Gareth

So long as you do not leave it at the default (hd0) nor put it as /dev/sda then it'll never get overwritten.

Valid syntaxes are (hd0,*) and /dev/sda*

Pardon my ignorance on this topic as i have not been keeping up with it. Sorry.

But i do ahve to chime in on the Ubuntu part here. Guru 8.04 when you get to the part of installing the GRUB it now gives you a drop down list like EasyBCD does for where you want to install GRUB to. I actually used Ext2 and put i ton my Ubuntu drive and it worked flawlessly. If you wish i will throw my 8.04LiveCD disc in and get some screenshots of the updated installer for you.

Mak

That would be great as I obviously keep selecting the wron thing at this stage! The installI I am planning to use is Hardy Heron, which I am assuming is 8.04?

If you could give me the screeshots from the point at which I have to select where to put the grub until I am finished that would be really great.

Thanks

Gareth

Addendum:

CG

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the ACL rules?

How do I actually move the documents to a separate partition and maintain the security issues under XP. As I said previously, have found an article on how to do it with Vista, but not XP.

Thanks

Gareth

Last edited:
Mak, while the new Ubuntu does have a drop-down menu, you can still type in the drives directly.

However, using the drop-down menu is probably the easiest option.

Here's the screenshot. It lists the partitions available, you just need to select the partition that you installed Ubuntu to (NOT THE DRIVE). It's really not that hard.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ubuntu Drop-Down Menu.png
    Ubuntu Drop-Down Menu.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 8
Yes i know you can still type it. :wink:

I was just saying that using the drop down menu would probably be easier for users who can not seem to get it working right with typing it. I know i have had many issues with that myself. The new drop down menu works like a charm.

I will get a screenshot of my whole system looks for reference. I see you have a VM setup.

Thanks for your responses and suggestions. Look forward to the screenshots which I hope will enable me to sort the ubuntu install.

On a secondary point, I have just gone to shrink the 250gb volume so that I can start to add new primary partitions. I have just found out that the partition will not shrink down down below 120gb, but reports that the 120gb is over 50% free!

Any suggestions on what is causing the problem?

Gareth

Is it fully defragged ? Maybe the 60 Gb is spread across 120 Gb space, and it can only shrink the contiguous empty space.

On the subject of data partitions, mine is fully accessible from both boots, but that's the point for me.
If I wanted data accessible from one system and invisible to the others, I'd probably create an extended partition with multiple logical disks, and hide all but the appropriate one(s) in each boot, but you could achieve the same thing by keeping the data on the system disk and dispensing with the need for extra partitions.

Last edited:
Ubuntu as 3rd installation

Help!!! - the repartitioning has gone wrong. Went and used Paragon Harddisk manager 8.5 to resize after Windows wouldn't shrink down.

Unfortunately it has screwed up my Vista installation. That is not a problem in itself as I had all my files I needed backed up bar 2.

I am using a Ubuntu live CD to carry on working at the moment. I can see the vista disk using this and have copied 1 of the files onto my external HD. However, I can't access the other 1, whch is my outlook file - the back up is 10 days old.

I can't get at it as it is in Documents and settings and Ubuntu in normal use will not allow me to change permissions.

Is there anyway using the Live Cd that I can change the permissions so I can get at the 1 file I want to copy to my external HD?

Thanks

Gareth

Ubuntu is blind to Windows' permissions. If you can't reach it, it's because the data is corrupt or faulty; not because permission is actualy denied.

EDIT:

In Vista the "Documents and Settings" folder is fake, and can't be accessed.
You need to look in the "Users" folder instead.

Ubuntu as 3rd installation

Thanks CG - Thats why I am seeing no files in that folder!

So i went off to look in the other folders I could see with files in them. Went to:

Vista/Users/Gareth/Appdata/local/Microsoft/Outlook.

Found an outlook.pst file in there. The dates of access and modifications seem to ties up with the last time I accesses it and the filesize seems about right as the last time I used it I deleted a whole load of emails from it and I keep the ones i want to keep on a separate USB stick so that they can go from PC to PC wherever I am.

I don't normally leave my outlook file there, but when i rebuilt the last time, I was a bit lazy and accepted the default location and made a mental note that i must move it sometime.

Question - Do you know if I have I found the default file that the system would have setup for me?

Thanks

Gareth

Hey Mak or CG. Have you guys installed using a 8.04 Ubuntu CD/DVD and noticed a problems with using sudo? I know its been an issue with upgrading (had the problem myself), but what about for clean installations?

I'm on a clean install of Ubuntu 8.04 - what do you mean by sudo problems? It's working great for me; besides a couple of quirks in the OpenJDK distribution that ships with it and the inability to upgrade to mono 1.9

CG

Thanks for all you help!! I will definitely chip in some money! Assume there is somewhere on the site that explains how I do it. Can you point me in the right direction. I assume I will have to setup something like a Paypal account?

Now going to rebuild my system!

Thank you once again - I would never spotted the fake Documents & Settings folder!

Gareth

Addendum:

Hi Terry

Thanks for your reply. Paragon Hard disk manager mucked up my HD. I will stay with Qparted in future as this is the 2nd time it has done it!

The key issue with the data files is I want them accessible from 3 OS's - XP, Vista & Ubuntu. They also need to be accessible by 3 different users seeing only their files. So don't want to leave them on the OS partition as that won't be secure and everyone will each others.

So want to move them to a separate partition with the appropriate security measures so that depending upon which OS is being used they will still only see their own data files.

Does this make sense?

Thanks

Gareth

Last edited:
sudo with the distribution of 8.04 caused havoc to some users because sudo well refuse to operate if it cannot lookup the hostname of the machine your working on. A misconfigured hosts and hostname file prevented you from performing administrative operations among other problems. sudo looks up the hostname of the machine you want to perform a administrative command at to make sure that it is reachable across the network, but in this case it also applied to the local machine itself (even if the computer is not connected to any networks).

GNOME has always been picky about the host name. If you provide an incorrect domain, GNOME itself will crawl to a halt...

But sudo? I can see why people would get pissed :smile:

Yeah.. some companies that were deploying Ubuntu decided to stop because of it. I can't blame them. Install or upgrade a mission critical system to find out that you can't even administrate it! The only reason I got mine fixed was because I booted Fedora to manually edit the files :smile:

That's weird - any IT manager worth his salt should be able to easily solve the issue; without even having to install another distro or anything.

All you need to do is boot Ubuntu into single-user mode and modify the network configuration files from the terminal. In single-user mode there is no need for sudo.

Well... not all of us are that knowledgeable with linux (yet) I wanna get Linux+ certification one day, but for now its just my hobby to experiement with.

Back