Easy RE Win 10: Due to issues with the partition layout, this PC cannot be configured in any MBR or EFI modes

Esinem

After a power outage, I got a boot\bcd error. Unfortunately, due to some current building work this has happened more than once, each time trashing the bcd. After failing to correct it with bootrec this time, I tried Easy RE but get this error, just after it says "Volume identified as NTFS":

Due to issues with the partition layout, this PC cannot be configured in any MBR or EFI modes! Aborting!

Unable to proceed with repair of this volume. Check logs for more details.

I have no idea what this means, where the logs are or what they might be called. The boot drive is an SSD if that makes any difference. What now? Does this mean Easy RE won't solve the problem?

If it comes to worst, I have system backups in EaseUs but I haven't figured out how to restore them without access to the program :frowning:

You have both a GPT and an MBR on the disk in question, and they contain differing (conflicting) representations of the disk. EasyRE cannot create a dual/hybrid EFI/MBR configuration because it would result in data loss one way or the other. If you manually wipe out the MBR or the GPT (after figuring out which is correct), EasyRE will be able to proceed with the repair.

You have both a GPT and an MBR on the disk in question, and they contain differing (conflicting) representations of the disk. EasyRE cannot create a dual/hybrid EFI/MBR configuration because it would result in data loss one way or the other. If you manually wipe out the MBR or the GPT (after figuring out which is correct), EasyRE will be able to proceed with the repair.

Hi mqudsi. Is there any guidance you can provide on how to determine which one would be correct, and how to manually wipe it the incorrect one? (If that's what you mean)

I purchased the software this past Tuesday and sent a support email that day. I haven't heard back yet. Does Neosmart offer any kind of premium technical support? If not, is there any premium tech support company or person that you would recommend who you would trust to have expertise knowledge on these subjects?

OK I sent him a message to his iPhone.

Hello, it's been over 2 weeks since I purchased EasyRE. I still have not received an e-mail reply. It's been 11 days since you initially said a message was sent to the owner.

Am I to assume support no longer exists for this product?

I'll ask him again.

Next Tuesday will be 4 weeks since I purchased the software.

If I can't get support for the question I have, I'll be forced to ask for a refund. Since the company hasn't responded to any of my support emails yet I assume that means I'll be forced to file a claim with PayPal to get my money back.

If it were up to me I would prefer to keep the software and receive support for it, but it appears I'm being left with no other choice.

The error message describes the problem, there are two different (conflicting) representations of the partition layout in the MBR and the GPT. Without the logs I can't tell you anything further.

If you can connect an ethernet/internet cable to the PC or laptop before you reboot into EasyRE then try the automated repair - after it completes (successfully or otherwise) you can click the "support agent" icon in the top-right of the screen (see below) to send us an email request for help but it'll also include some debug info and logs so we can see what's happening in your case.

The icon I'm referring to looks like this:
ff83ae266fa2536dfc3954accd60d9cd.png

That would send a copy of the logs that I could look at to tell you more.

The error message describes the problem, there are two different (conflicting) representations of the partition layout in the MBR and the GPT. Without the logs I can't tell you anything further.

If you can connect an ethernet/internet cable to the PC or laptop before you reboot into EasyRE then try the automated repair - after it completes (successfully or otherwise) you can click the "support agent" icon in the top-right of the screen (see below) to send us an email request for help but it'll also include some debug info and logs so we can see what's happening in your case.

The icon I'm referring to looks like this:
ff83ae266fa2536dfc3954accd60d9cd.png

That would send a copy of the logs that I could look at to tell you more.
Thank you for the reply. I have successfully submitted the error log after running the Automated Repair. I received the "Email support request sent successfully! Hang tight, we'll be in touch soon!" message after I submitted it.

I used my name and email address associated with the software purchase when submitting the form. Please let me know if you've received it.

EDIT - I received the automated email that you received my help request

You're using an old version of EasyRE so it's hard to be sure, but I think if you disconnect the other disks before running EasyRE (keeping only the disk with Windows on it plugged in), EasyRE should be able to complete the repair. Make sure your BIOS/firmware is set to legacy/mbr/csm mode as your disk layout is not compatible with EFI or GPT boot mode, from what I can see in the logs. I would try booting into Windows before plugging the other disks back in.

If that works, you can plug the other disks back in but make sure the Windows disk is set as the boot disk in the BIOS configuration, because your PC's BIOS currently reports that the Windows disk is the 3rd disk in the system (which does NOT mean it isn't the boot device, but just that it's not the default boot device).

You're using an old version of EasyRE so it's hard to be sure, but I think if you disconnect the other disks before running EasyRE (keeping only the disk with Windows on it plugged in), EasyRE should be able to complete the repair. Make sure your BIOS/firmware is set to legacy/mbr/csm mode as your disk layout is not compatible with EFI or GPT boot mode, from what I can see in the logs. I would try booting into Windows before plugging the other disks back in.

If that works, you can plug the other disks back in but make sure the Windows disk is set as the boot disk in the BIOS configuration, because your PC's BIOS currently reports that the Windows disk is the 3rd disk in the system (which does NOT mean it isn't the boot device, but just that it's not the default boot device).

When you say it's an old version of EasyRE is that because it's Windows 8? I downloaded the version from the link in the purchase email. Is there a newer version I should be using?

I disconnected my other drives and EasyRE did complete the repair (!)

Although the repair completed, when the PC restarts it gives me the Windows logo with the circle of dots beneath it and it still doesn't boot (same as before). The circle of dots just keep circling. I'm not sure how long I should let it do this? But it went 30 minutes and was still circling. The one difference that I did notice is that it no longer attempts to enter the "Automatic Repair Process". I feel like there was finally a breakthrough here by getting the repair to successfully run but for now the drive still doesn't get past the initial Windows loading screen so I can login.

In original preparation to get EasyRE to boot (when I first purchased it), in the BIOS I had disabled Fast Boot, and I changed Secure Boot to 'Other OS' since there is no disable I'm aware of. Although now that I mention it I don't recall if it was originally 'Other OS' or 'Windows UEFI mode'.

Boot Device Control is set to "UEFI and Legacy OPROM".

For attempting to boot Windows again should I revert any of these changes? Should I change Secure Boot to 'Windows UEFI mode' from 'Other OS'?

For 'Boot from Storage Devices' there are 5 options: 1) Both, Legacy OPROM first 2) Both, UEFI first 3) Legacy OPROM first 4) UEFI Driver first 5) Ignore. Do you know which one I should be using?

In my BIOS, my boot order is 1) CD-ROM 2) Windows 8 drive. I'm not sure why it's telling you it's the 3rd disk in the system or how I can change that?

BTW, thank you very much for looking into this.

Once the system gets to the Windows loading screen, are there any BIOS settings that could be preventing it from reaching the login? I believe I reverted all of the changes I initially made to get EasyRE to run, so the settings should be what they were when the system was functioning properly. If you could check my previous reply you can see what I have set in the BIOS.

Would it be of any help for me to send you a log after a successful repair operation in EasyRE, could that give any insight as to why I still can't get the drive to finish booting?

• If you get as far as you get, it is unlikely that there are any BIOS/UEFI firmware settings that are at play.
  • The third device was probably the USB key you were loading EasyRE off of.
  • I would try using the System Restore option in EasyRE, if the automated repair didn't do the trick.
  • I would also try to leave the PC booting overnight; I have seen a case where Windows 7 took over 4 hours to boot due to an issue with startup drivers, and to my knowledge that has not ever been fully resolved at a fundamental level by Microsoft even in Windows 11.
  • Also try booting in Safe Mode and see if that gets any further: How to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP

Back