EasyBCD 2.0 BEta

svnp10

Hi,
I have tried, as you suggested to use version 2.0 beta release, to boot Fedora 10 from IDE with "Grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector" checked. I have Windows Vista and WIndows 7 on Sata drive. My Master Boot loader is still Windows' boot loader. Obvioulsy I have used EasyBCD to add Fedora 10 entry.
I have boot (and grub)directory on partition 0 on disk 0, and fedora on partition 1 of disk 0, this is as viewed in EasyBCD. I installed GRUB to disk 0. Disk 0 is not system drive. System drive is SATA drive.

When i selected to boot Fedora 10 from OS list on windows OS choice, it takes me to "grub>" prompt. It doesn't boot into Fedora.

By using 'configfile (hd1,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst' at 'grub>' prompt and i am able to boot any OS. I have menu.lst configure for chainloading Windows. Let's not get into it.

As view from 'grub>' prompt:
I have boot directory on (hd1,0) and Linux on (hd1,0). /boot/ directory has the grub installed and (hd1,0) has the rest of the linux. hd0, which is SATA, has 4 partitions with first two partitions have Vista and Windows 7.

My point is checking "Grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector" doesn't help me boot Fedora 10 with EasyBCD 2.0.

Hi,
I have tried, as you suggested to use version 2.0 beta release, to boot Fedora 10 from IDE with "Grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector" checked.
Hello again, svnp10. If you're referring to [post=37522]this thread[/post], actually I said quite the opposite. I told you that that option does not work with Fedora, due to the separate /boot partition Fedora uses, and that you will need to configure NeoGrub manually in order to boot it.
I have Windows Vista and WIndows 7 on Sata drive. My Master Boot loader is still Windows' boot loader. Obvioulsy I have used EasyBCD to add Fedora 10 entry.
I have boot (and grub)directory on partition 0 on disk 0, and fedora on partition 1 of disk 0, this is as viewed in EasyBCD. I installed GRUB to disk 0. Disk 0 is not system drive. System drive is SATA drive.

When i selected to boot Fedora 10 from OS list on windows OS choice, it takes me to "grub>" prompt. It doesn't boot into Fedora.

By using 'configfile (hd1,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst' at 'grub>' prompt and i am able to boot any OS. I have menu.lst configure for chainloading Windows. Let's not get into it.

As view from 'grub>' prompt:
I have boot directory on (hd1,0) and Linux on (hd1,0).
Ok, so are you saying you are not using a separate /boot partition?
/boot/ directory has the grub installed and (hd1,0) has the rest of the linux. hd0, which is SATA, has 4 partitions with first two partitions have Vista and Windows 7.

My point is checking "Grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector" doesn't help me boot Fedora 10 with EasyBCD 2.0.
See our Neogrub documentation for configuring your menu.lst manually.

hi 007,
I am using a separate /boot partition.
I tried editing neogrub.
I changed the line "configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst" to "configfile /grub/menu.lst"
It didn't help.
I suspected incorrect drive mapping and added root(hd1,0) before the configfile command in neogrub file. that didn't help too.
Do you know what needs to be changed on newgrub.

Nevermind. :grinning:
The latest build (61) should fix that option, so that it will work even with Fedora, despite having a separate /boot partition. CG posted the build that fixes that problem within hours after making my last post, so it is no longer true. :??

Please give feedback on whether it works for you or not.

Jake

Sure, let me try. I will try the new build 61 with "Grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector" checked.

Addendum:

Thanks a million. It worked.
In the previous build I changed the neogrub file to have command "configfile /grub/menu.lst". That didn't work for me. But the same command works now.

I have removed all the fallback options in the neogrub file. I just have one entry and made it simple as it looked in the previous versionss.

Here is how it looks now:
-----------------------------------------------
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /grub/menu.lst
configfile /grub/menu.lst

--------------------------------------------------

I am not sure why same changes i did in previous versions didn't work.
Is there anything else I am missing?
Just to enlighten myself

thanks anyways

Last edited:
Glad you got it working :smile:

And CG does it again :joy:. Right on about fixing auto-configure too to handle multiple boot.ini entries :grinning:

Back