EasyBCD 2.1.2 Helped Ruin My Bootloader

Update:
Got Windows to install in the GPT format by forcing the "UEFI" DVD drive to boot instead of the "Location 1" DVD drive. Never really knew what the difference was before, mustv'e had the UEFI drive set on first by default the first time I installed Windows when I built the computer. I installed it in two ways, but both creating the same end result, one way by booting as stated before and letting Windows PE automatically create the necessary partitions (UFI, MSR, primary) and installing Windows. Second was in using that document you linked for me to use and manually created said partitions by commands in "diskpart". Each attempt did successfully install about 80% of Windows, AND created the "Windows Boot Manager" boot option (which is a VERY good sign :joy:smile:.

The only problem is when it needed to restart after the "Installing Updates" phase and before it went into the "Completing Installation" phase, it came up with an error :glare::
"Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer."
Now that I think of it, I did have the DVD in the drive, but it shouldn't matter.

Installed the regular BIOS friendly Windows and got here, but noticed that then "Windows Boot Manager" was still included in the boot options, so something must still be in NVRAM regarding the UFI portion of the Windows installation.

Now I do appreciate the help because this is encroaching entirely on Windows territory, but if anyone happens to know what that error message (as stated above) could mean and what could be done about it, I'd appreciate it, because that seems to be the last hurdle to get over, then everything will completely be okay again it seems.

See? Nothing to do with EasyBCD. It's all about how *Windows* talks with your UEFI. When you replaced the HD with a non-GPT one, your old EFI config was lost.

Is your PC booting normally now?

See? Nothing to do with EasyBCD.
Whatever makes you feel better, man. I just hope that if you continue to work on EasyBCD, be aware of all the minutiae regarding systems that utilize UEFI.

This problem occured before I installed Ubuntu on my IDE HDD, therefore it has nothing to do with it.

Is your PC booting normally now?
Again:
The only problem is when it needed to restart after the "Installing Updates" phase and before it went into the "Completing Installation" phase, it came up with an error :glare::
"Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer."
After that hurdle though, I'd like to think everything will be back to normal. The problem must've had something to do with the modifying of information (by what. . .we'll never know) on my GPT disk thinking it was an MBR disk. Just a guess.

Yes, but you said you then installed Windows normally in BIOS/MBR mode.... So I'd assume the error went away.

And I really don't need your snark right now.

I've reduced myself to a childish buffoon who has lost a lot of motivation and self worth. I am sorry.

Yes, but you said you then installed Windows normally in BIOS/MBR mode.... So I'd assume the error went away.

Yes, THAT error goes away when I use MBR format, but in MBR format the original problem occurs again, the problem where I cannot boot unless I have the Win7 DVD in.

Maybe something will come to me in a dream.:|

Last edited:
From some light research, it appears that that error occurs in UEFI when the partition was not created successfully or due to a bug in Windows setup.

Maybe (hopefully) you had created the partition too small or something?

The partitions have to be correct, and the disc is flawless and couldn't have corrupted data on it.

I'm lost, maybe I'll just junk this motherboard and buy another, heh.

Well, I finally figured it out - I'm an idiot.

When I installed Windows using an MBR format, I failed to think that the "Windows Boot Manager" had anything to do with it, assuming it had to do with GPT formats instead. But alas, when I put it first in the boot order, WITH HDD 0 after, it worked, no disc and all seemingly normal. Fantastic. Although I do still wonder why the error is happening in the Windows installation when using the GPT format, I'll just be happy enough with what I can use and leave you guys alone.

I thank you for putting up with me for so darned long, and do appreciate all the help:grinning:. Farewell.

Back